Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #141
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Working on the other house. Just about finished with the hall bath and the front foyer. Hopefully will finish both of these rooms tonight. Then it's on to the laundry room (lots of work in there...plumbing, drywall and millwork). After that, all that is left is painting in the bedrooms. Needless to say, no camping for us. We haven't been camping since early May.

Been hot here..Today was 98 with heat index of around 101. No rain for at least 6 weeks. Hopefully we will get some rain soon.

As for radio... I am supposed to go look at an Icom 740 Wednesday along with some other radio gear. Will let you know.

73's

Galen
Galen, I hope you are working with the AC on.

Jim

Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #142
One Country Boy

I received some one inch and half inch tinned copper ground braid today. Boy they don't give that stuff away. I'm going to run the one inch stuff from my antenna mount on top of the roof ladder down to the RV frame. Hopefully this will improve my mobile operations. I also received my bracket for mounting two Ham Sticks in a diapole configuration. I'll be testing the Ham Stick Diapoles in a few days I hope.

I've got to get busy isolating the noise I'm receiving on 75 and 80 meters and see how I can eliminate it. That's a thread of it's own.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA

Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #143
Big-O-Duramax

Send a message via Skype™ to Big-O-Duramax

HEllo W4EWA,
I am starting a cross country road trip on 6/27/09, Oregon to Virginia. I am on 40 meters HF, and 2 meters, and Skype (KC5-EBM). IF our on 40 meters HF give me a frequency and I will give you updates as I cross the USA. Currently in Portland, Oregon
Big-O-Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #144
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-O-Duramax View Post
HEllo W4EWA,
I am starting a cross country road trip on 6/27/09, Oregon to Virginia. I am on 40 meters HF, and 2 meters, and Skype (KC5-EBM). IF our on 40 meters HF give me a frequency and I will give you updates as I cross the USA. Currently in Portland, Oregon
OK Duramax.... Will do and welcome to ORR. Glad to have you. Good luck with your trip and be safe out there.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #145
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-O-Duramax View Post
HEllo W4EWA,
I hang out mostly on one of two freqs on 40 meters. 7230 for the most part. Other than that, 7251 for the South Cars nets.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #146
One Country Boy

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA,

All going well here. The wife and I had to postpone our summer trip up to the North Georgia Mountains again. The original plans were to spend three months up there this year. We're down to the month of September (only) now. A few unforseen things arose, so we felt it was better to postpone again, rather than to get up there and have to return. The thought also crossed our mind of the possible loss of at least one months camping fee. Anyway, we're set to leave now toward the end of August and keeping our fingers crossed.

A little break in the temperatures here the past week. Not cool, but cooler. A nice break from the 105 temps we had been experiencing. We took a ride over to our county RV park on the golfcart about sunset yesterday. I had to actually put the winshield up because the wind was a little cool on us.

There's a possibility we'll be working on getting a tower up here in the next few weeks. A young fellow in the neighborhood is out of work and several of us have been using him to do odd jobs to help him out and to also help us. He's got a good strong back and an eager worker. he's done tower work as a profession in the past so maybe I can get him started setting my tower up. I don't plan to go that high, probably about 40 ft.

I see where Mike got a new HF amp. How's it working for you Mike ? Sorry I missed you on the spotter this weekend.

Are you at the "hideout" Andy or at home in CT ?

Tell us what's going on in your world please ? Should be getting a report from Radio on his last trip. I like them pik-chures.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA

Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #147
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Hey Jim,
Good luck on the tower! 40' is just about right for your terrain. Maybe we'll be able to connect then. Just got back to CT on Sunday to do the lawn, put out the garbage for pick-up today, do some odd jobs at home before going back up to NH on Thursday. Plan to visit the ARRL today. My pal, W1RGC, is giving tours there now, so I thought I'd go up and bust his butt a bit.
73 and have fun in GA
Andy

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #148
One Country Boy

CQ CQ de W4EWA

No posts to this thread in awhile. See if we can activate it. Hurricane season has been quiet here in the SE. One tropical storm came through a few weeks back. The Weather Channel made much about nothing and I usually enjoy watching them. Some of their reporting was totally wrong. Maybe that will be the last of the storms for this year.

We have reservations in the Ocala Nat'l Forrest next week for about 5 days. We may leave anytime. No wifi and cell phone service is poor I'm told. Good thing I have the ham gear. Ham gear may stop me from seeing "pink elephants".

Maybe the HOT weather down here will cease before long. It's still hot and humid.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWAhitchka, FL

Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #149
Andy N1ORK

Have fun in Ocala Jim. We'll be home for the Labor Day W/E (Grandaughter's Birthday) but will be coming back to NH soon after.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #150
k8zfj

have fun in Ocala !
Wish I was going to Ocala too, since my Dad lives in that area, but I think that's a trip worth saving when its a bit cooler up north !
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #151
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8zfj View Post
have fun in Ocala !
Wish I was going to Ocala too, since my Dad lives in that area, but I think that's a trip worth saving when its a bit cooler up north !
You ever start down this way Randy, give a holler. There are a number of campgrounds in the Ocala National Forest. It is loaded with clear freshwater springs that flow into the St. Johns River. Lot's of places to cool of jumping into those springs.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #152
k8zfj

Most certainly will holler, Jim; we might be down that way for turkey day in Nov.
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #153
One Country Boy

Default Fall temperatures

We woke up to a cool 65 degrees here in the Florida Panhandle this morning. Very nice and low humidity. A cold front passed through about 1 am. We got 1/2 inch of rain, with lots of lightning. The Fall temps feel good. The low looks like it was 63 degrees.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA

One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #154
AE5BI

It is still only 57 here. I am glad for the cool weather but my feet are cold! I must be getting old.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #155
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE5BI View Post
It is still only 57 here. I am glad for the cool weather but my feet are cold! I must be getting old.
I can relate to that. It got down to 56 here this morning. I drug out the long sleeved shirts yesterday and put on a pair of long pants. It's tuff getting used to these long pants after wearing shorts for several months. I like the cooler wx though. The humidity is down to about 43%, where it had been running about 85%. We will be building a fire in the fire ring in the back yard before long and shucking raw oysters around it.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #156
Andy N1ORK

Default All closed up for the winter.

OK, Got back from visiting the In-Laws in Canada and winterizing the park model in NH for the winter. Took 2 gallons of the pink stuff. Also 2 snow braces in the Add-a-room. Took down the 2/440 j-pole but decided to leave the g5rv jr up this time. Be curious how it holds up for the winter. Got back to the home QTH in Manchester, CT about 1500 local, unpacked and had to mow the lawn before the rain tomorrow. Now it's time to relax have a cold one and start planning for next Spring Hope everyone is doing well and had a great summer. Got some kits to build for the winter, so between that and my volunteer work I'll be keeping busy .

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #157
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

What's "winterizing" ???

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #158
Andy N1ORK

Default Winterize????????

That's what you guys down south do when it gets below 50 degrees F.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #159
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Officially 39 here in Davison, MI as I type. Motorhome sensors said 41

I"m going to have to write an article on antennas one of these days I suspect..

I normally push either 100 watts into 100' of copper (Rig to nearby tree) or to a Hustler 4BTV, or to about 35 feet of mostly 1/2 inch copper pipe (the first 5 are #10 copper wire) or to whatever I can string up. Alternative is 25-50 watts in digital modes.. Works great
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #160
One Country Boy

22:30 local time here and it's 72.3 degrees outside. Humidity is 88%. It's suppose to cool here in a few days. We had some cool wx last week, but it didn't last long.