Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #101
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

We just got back from a successful fox hunt just before the rain started here. Supposed to rain through Saturday evening. 63 deg. now and it's gonna get down to a high of 42 by Sunday. But the warmer weather is coming (so they say).
Happy Easter everyone!
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #102
One Country Boy

Warming up here too Andy and rain on the way. I see where there have been more tornadoes in the SE.

A Happy Easter to you and yours as well ...

Jim

Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #103
One Country Boy

Default eBook readers ?

Bad weather on the way again here today. Looks like some serious hail reported by doplar radar. "Radio's" area (Atlanta) is officially over the drought. They appear to be getting more rain today. The last I heard Lake Lanier is still 9 ft. below normal lavels.

Without posting a new thread, I wonder if any of you are familiar with the Kindle 2 and/or Sony Book reader ? Thinking of purchasing one for my wife. Not sure wich is best ?

The wx radios are going off. Sever wx watch in effect.

Hope everyone had a good Easter,

Jim

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA K

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #104
One Country Boy

Beautiful Wx here the past few days. Sunny and the temps up in the high 70's and occassionally the low 80's.

Where is everyone ? Guess most of you are outside during the day like I am, now that "Spring has Sprung".

Florida QSO Party this weekend. I hope to do some participating in that. It will have to be Saturday, the wife has plans for us on Sunday.

I was just browsing around the photo gallery. Some nice photos have been added. I forget to keep an eye out there. We have some good photographers on ORR.

Hey Andy, when is it you are coming to Florida ? I have a good friend (and fellow ham) that is on vacation up in the NE. He keeps texting me and and emailing me some beautiful photos of Maine. He and his wife flew to Boston about a week ago. They rented a car and are driving up to Maine and returning. They are having a great time. I'm ready to go do some RV'ing how about you. You full timers don't count.

How is everyone ?

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA K

Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #105
AE5BI

Every day is camping!

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #106
jagco

We just had a beautiful weekend camping at Giant City SP, in Southern IL. A group of 51, from our church, had a campout together. We had a dutch oven potluck Saturday night. I will try to pot some pics some other time. Just had a few minutes to check in before I go to the doc.

1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #107
w3zi

Wife was here and we decided to go see Mickey Mouse. Camped at Disney World (Fort Wilderness) over a long weekend and we got back yesterday. Celebrated our 31st Anniversary. This is our second RV trip to Fort Wildnerness Campground and we had a great time. Missed the FL QSO Party though.
Mark W3ZI
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #108
One Country Boy

QUOTE:
Wife was here and we decided to go see Mickey Mouse. Camped at Disney World (Fort Wilderness) over a long weekend and we got back yesterday. Celebrated our 31st Anniversary. This is our second RV trip to Fort Wildnerness Campground and we had a great time. Missed the FL QSO Party though.
Mark W3ZI

Congrats on the Anniversary Mark !!! We probably should be congratulating your wife instead. OK, OK, just kidding.

I think the FLorida QSO Party comes up this weekend, doesn't it ? Yep, this weekend: http://www.floridaqsoparty.org/ . I'm in a rare county maybe I'll get 'em standing in line. Hi Hi...

Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #109
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE5BI View Post
Every day is camping!
I just knew there would be at least one to rub it in.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #110
TXiceman

Between Friday evening and Saturday Noon, we had close to 6" or rain. Yesterday and today were picture perfect and getting warmer. I think we have SUMMER coming.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #111
w3zi

GL in the QSO Party Jim. Hope to get on the air a little bit but dont think I will get to serious with it. I think my wife deserves an Oscar or something

Mark
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #112
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Between Friday evening and Saturday Noon, we had close to 6" or rain. Yesterday and today were picture perfect and getting warmer. I think we have SUMMER coming.

Ken
Lot's of rain Ken... We've had a lot here as well, but nothing like that recently. The lakes are still very high here but no longer into the yard as it was.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #113
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

The cap and relay on my fridge went out this past weekend. Kept hearing a clicking sound so I finally looked up the prob and found out what the deal was. $100 later......... Hope I get the new parts in before my compressor fries.

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #114
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
The cap and relay on my fridge went out this past weekend. Kept hearing a clicking sound so I finally looked up the prob and found out what the deal was. $100 later......... Hope I get the new parts in before my compressor fries.
Glad you found the problem there Greg. Hope your parts get to you quickly.

I tracked down the noise I've been getting on HF in the 5'er yesterday. It's all coming from the PS and Inverter. Turn all that stuff off and it's quiet as a mouse. I've got to fix that before I can work any lower frequencies on HF. I think I'll begin checking all the grounding first.

Anyway, that's an entirely different thread.

Looks like another beautiful day here. A bit foggy this morning and some temperature inversions I suspect. Two-meters is wide open this morning. I'm listening to North Georgia, South Florida and Texas on 144 MHz. I could probably work "Radio" on 2 meters this morning.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA K K

Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #115
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
I tracked down the noise I've been getting on HF in the 5'er yesterday. It's all coming from the PS and Inverter. Turn all that stuff off and it's quiet as a mouse. I've got to fix that before I can work any lower frequencies on HF. I think I'll begin checking all the grounding first.........
I made a mistake there. The RV does not have an inverter. Only a converter. I could not understand why it would have an inverter. Don't tell my wife I was wrong please, er, ahh, make that mistaken.

By-the-way, my son (N4XCI) called me the other morning wanting to know what brand refrigerator we had in the 5er. Chris is a Deputy Sheriff and had just worked a fire. A fire had totaly destroyed a travel trailer not far from our location. The Fire Marshall assigned to the case determined that the fire was caused by the refrigerator. Probably one of those Dometics that was on the recall list. According to the Fire Marshall there have been several RV fires in our area caused by the frig problems.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #116
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Did you ever get your frig in the RV repaired Greg ?

I was complaining about the cold weather awhile back. It just doesn't seem that long ago. The high here yesterday was in the low 90's.

We're headed over to the Blue Crab Festival at Panacea later this morning. Never been to this one but understand it's nice. It will be a good outing and a chance to consume some fresh Florida seafood. C'mon over and stroll the streets with us.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA K

Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #117
One Country Boy

Default Noise

Any of you guys that might operate 75 meters, are you experiencing high noise levels on certain frequencies ? I'm told by friends in the area (within 25 miles) they are having lots of QRN on 75. Wondered if it was local to our area or widely heard ?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #118
jagco

I don't typically run 75 meters for some other "noise" I've encountered there. As stated, in another thread, about the rudeness on the QRZ forum, I think the same guys hang out on 75........

1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #119
One Country Boy

Good morning,

Have not made a post on this thread in awhile. Sitting here drinking my coffee and listening to the "Loafer's Net" on 7262. We've had constant winds here for several days now and very cool temperatures for this time of the year. All this due to a low pressure area centered down in So. Florida (right Mark ?). The NWS had been watching this system for awhile, thinking it had possibilities of developing into something more tropical. We've had gust here to 35mph mostly out of the North and Northeast, blowing in the cool air. Unusual weather for this time of year.

This wind is credited with starting a fire at Topsail State Park, a little west of us. Topsail is one of the most popular state parks in this end of the state. A tree was blown down on a power line at the park starting the fire. The link above has details from a local TV station. The last I heard, no structures were damaged, but 100 acres in and around the park were destroyed.

This low pressure area has begun to move, so maybe things will get back to normal here and we'll get back to "global warming". Hi Hi

That's about it from here. Do we have further check-in's for the thread ? What's going on in your neck-of-the-woods ?

73 fer now... CQ CQ CQ ORR members.. de W4EWA

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #120
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

I kinda wish it was abit cooler here Jim, as in the past week, we've had low mid/upper 90's and low 100's.... course, we dont have the humidity like you do, but did get some monsoonal moisture afew days ago that jumped the humidity up. Think today it is only suppose to get to 97 or so... cold wave.... My garden sure loves it though...
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote