Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Ready for Christmas?

We are getting there. The girls at my house put up the trees and stockings. We have a new stocking for a new daughter-in-law. I think this year will be more fun than the last few have been... don't know why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.jpg (53.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.jpg (64.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0007.jpg (118.7 KB, 35 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Interesting... the tree picture was vertical in the C:/documents/pictures folder.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Use it as a lesson: Christmas trees are too small for climbing; they fall over.

It may depend upon the camera you used and the software with which you viewed it. Some modern cameras, I believe, if you turn the camera 90 degrees, sense it and place a flag in the picture file to indicate rotation. Then, when you view it with the software supplied with the camera, they display it correctly. When you upload it, however, the forum software may not be smart enough to recognize the rotation flag and thus will display it sideways.

I wonder whether PhotoShop recognizes those flags? I have PS, but I own no cameras that sense rotation.

All this, however, is just an educated guess.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Interesting... the tree picture was vertical in the C:/documents/pictures folder.

HMmmm... Looks vertical to me, Radio.

Oh wait... I'm horizontal! More eggnog please .

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to all

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I recall growing up it got kind of crowded under the lower branches of the tree with all those epresents.. Well.... I do believe I have found a solution.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxind5n6fe...0tree.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kgvfjxxgv...0door.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b835bh28ip...wheel.jpg?dl=0
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Me I have a new Grandson so I've been spending like a drunken sailor this fall. (Winter starts on 12/21)

Was visiting with darling daughter a few days back and she commented on the problem she has with stockings, Hanging on the mantel without poking holes in it,, I picked up half a dozen stocking hangers, heavy weights with hooks attached,, Hopefully they will work, I have another design that should work well in addition should those fail.

And, since she and hers are going to be out of town for Christmas, (Going to visit the other Grandmother in Wyoming where this Class A will not December ever) I get to doggy sit for her .
Old 12-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Me I have a new Grandson so I've been spending like a drunken sailor this fall. (Winter starts on 12/21).
The idea that winter starts at the winter solstice (12/21) is parochial, recent, mostly North American, and not the convention in the cultures of the UK, of Europe, or of Asia. Most of the world considers that winter starts about the middle or end of November, with the other seasons starting correspondingly. This reckoning is sometimes called "meteorological winter" and the reckoning that starts winter at the solstice is called the "astronomical winter". The events of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, for example, apparently take place in early June.

Me, I think winter starts earlier and ends later in cold years and the opposite in warm years, and has little to do with the dadgum solstices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Was visiting with darling daughter a few days back and she commented on the problem she has with stockings, Hanging on the mantel without poking holes in it,, I picked up half a dozen stocking hangers, heavy weights with hooks attached,, Hopefully they will work, I have another design that should work well in addition should those fail.
Buy some cheap used metal spoons (at a flea market or garage sale) and bend them so that the bowl of the spoon sits upside-down on the mantel and the handle droops straight down and then bends up to form a hook. Someone -- perhaps our esteemed and venerated host Wade -- posted pix of this a while back, which is where I got the idea; but I'm too lazy to look up the reference.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

There are 5 RSNHSH (recycled spoon no hole stocking hangers) in the original post above. You can see they are of simple design. A shop vise and hammer may be required to make the 90 deg bend in the handle of the spoon.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
There are 5 RSNHSH (recycled spoon no hole stocking hangers) in the original post above.
Well, dog my cats, danged if there ain't!

Incidentally, Lunt sterling spoons work best, especially if purchased new from Neiman-Marcus with this in mind.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Well, dog my cats, danged if there ain't!

Incidentally, Lunt sterling spoons work best, especially if purchased new from Neiman-Marcus with this in mind.
Me I just use the nail gun!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Here's a better view of the spoons. The "stocking end" has a true 90 deg bend that I had to use a hammer and vise to make. The "mantel end" has a much sharper angle.

I thought filling the ladle with your favorite silicone sealant would make a rubber grip surface as they tend to slide around a bit when loading up the stockings.

Feel free to put the picture out on social media.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stocking hanger.jpg (59.4 KB, 24 views)

Old 12-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
wa8yxm

OH, I get my first "Christmas" Dinner Sunday.. Darling Daughter did not plan on gifts under her tree here in Townsend, GA, but ... Well, It is the first time I've had a chance to buy presents for a Grandson (Same being born last July 4), So she got a bunch of them, Not just for the boy, but for her and her hubby as well. He gets a cookbook since he likes to cook (Copies of same are beside me (papaer) on the hard drive and on the cell phone)

And a Piggy Bank, traditional porcine shape, but painted up as a football, (Pig Skin) since he is a Football Coach by profession.

She gets some stuff,
Family gets some stuff (including one item she needs for Baby, or will in the near future)
Baby gets among other things an original Glo-Worm (Daughter said he likes things that glow, and SHE had one of those when she was a baby) that one should surprise her.

Should be a Fun Sunday.

I get logged into their WI-FI cause starting Friday.. I'm the house and doggie sitter while they fly to Wyoming.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Radio
Administrator

At first there were four, then five, and now seven,
to remember the day God came down from heaven.
Seven stockings hung by the chimney with care,
And stuffed to the brim by the folks who live there.

Merry Christmas to the Open Roads Radio.net family.
Hoping your holidays are at least as joyous as ours!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0020.jpg (53.4 KB, 10 views)