Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Where is my truck jack?

Well, returning from a VE session where we tested three 11 year olds (one got his tech by the way), I hit something on the road, never saw what it was but gave me in immediate flat tire. I wasn't in a place to pull off so I had to drive about 2 miles to a spot in front of a closed business.

Called Good Sam road service and after talking to some lady that knew nothing about trucks, and having English as a third language I was able to get a service guy to come change it for me. I was lucky, he got there in less than 30 minutes.

I have a 2011 F-150 crew cab. While waiting I figured I have better get the tool to lower the spare from under the truck since he most likely will not have one. Where is the jack? I searched everywhere, under the hood where many trucks have it stored. Under the seats? Aaaha, could it be here?

No this is a tray under the rear seat where a set of jumper cables are stored, but wait it will lift out (with a little persuasion). But wait, what is that black thing?

It has a strap on it so I pull on the strap, won't move. Why? I find 2 bolts pushing down on it. After removing them I was then was able to pull it out, again there was about a 32nd of an inch clearance to get it out of the hole. There it was, a box of items so neatly packed you had better take a photo of it before you remove anything because it will not go back in the same way.

I think Ford hired some retired drug smugglers to find a way to hide the jack tools so no one will find them in an emergency. I could have looked in the manual that came with the truck but that would have been the easy way out. Inside the box with the jack was a info decal that told you were the location of the jack was, kind of like opening a candy Easter egg and getting a surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.jpg (73.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (101.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Marv, that just proves you don't know jack.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Mine is under the rear seat, I have the super cab, not the super crew. And I think the jack takes up too much space on the floor, that could be used for hauling stuff.

It's great when the seats are down, but mine are almost always up with some sort of baggage back there instead of people. I guess Ford heard folks whining about the 2007 era jacks and hid the thing better for 2011?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I do not know where they put it on the F-150 on the F-350 it's under the hood. As I recall Driver's side on the wheel well. oR is that the tire iron...

I know I snapped a lug taking the flat off.. Take a look at an F-350 Custom (!0,000 GVW) and think about how easy it is to break that lug.. I did it. Like it was a toothpick.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote