Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #201
KF5BET

Supposed to snow here in South Louisiana tonight. My youngest has a soccer tournament tomorrow with her first game at 7:30am...Ought to be interesting...
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #202
One Country Boy

Galen, looking at the weather radar, it appears there is snow in the southern LA area now. The low here was 41 last night and currently 47 degrees with heavy overcast.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and looking forward to Christmas. We didn't get up early for "black Friday" Andy. We did do a little shopping later in the day. It was not near as crowded as we thought it would be.

I guess we will not do any more RV'ing until after the first of the year. Too many things going on between now and New Years. This is a good time of the year for camping, with the exception of the damp weather here in the south.

By-the-way Andy, is this avatar better?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #203
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
By-the-way Andy, is this avatar better?
Much better! The other one was downright scary
Snow in LA?? We had 67 and sunny yesterday and it's 50 and sunny today.
Wishing everyone the best of this Holiday season! [If we had a Santa smiley, it would go here]

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #204
TXiceman

We had plenty of the snow in Houston area earlier today. Luckily it stopped while it was still above freezing, so we won't be in too bad of a shape tomorrow. Bridges and over passes will be iced.

Enjoy the snow in southern LA.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #205
KF5BET

Well the snow lasted for about 2 hours and then it was gone. The kids went nuts and really had fun running out in it. It had rained most of the day so none of it stuck.

They pushed the soccer game back to 9am but it was still pretty cold. They lost, but had a great time anyway.

We did not go out shopping Black Friday as well. We stayed home and watched movies instead. Had a really good Thanksgiving and looking forward to Christmas! The girls have most of the decorations up and it looks really nice.

BTW...I like the new avatar as well Jim. I agree with Andy...the other one was a little scary!

Hope everyone has a great day. Will be a wet one here, but the temps are supposed to be in the 60's.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #206
WD8QBQ

Hi, Hi, everybody, reading the mail and checking in from northeastern Ohio.

The temp. is 30F with lite SNOW falling.

The bus is in the barn ready and I have the itch to go!

I have been lurking and trying to see where I fit into the group. Can't help but notice that not many are online very often.
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #207
One Country Boy

Dog-gone-it !!! We missed all the snow here. It snowed plenty to the west of us, Pensacola and Mobile areas.

The low here was 40 last night at around midnight. It actually warmed up later during the night. It's currently 55 outside and cloudy. More rain expected for tomorrow. The rivers in our area are at flood stage and the water only lacks a couple more feet and will be up into the back yard.

I know everyone has their Christmas shopping done. (Not!)

Good to see the activity on the forum. We are a little slow on traffic but the group hangs in here and that's good.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #208
One Country Boy

Good morning all. It's warmed back up in the panhandle of Florida. That usually means rain on the way. Low here last night was 58 degrees, it's currently 61 and rain is expected.

I've got a project to take care of in the next few days. I'm on Dish Network. I normally put one of the 3 receivers, we have in the house in the RV on trips. In the 5er we have now, I cannot control the receiver with the infrared remote from the bedroom. I bought a dual receiver off eBay with a built in DVR. One of the receivers is controled by VHF. Hopefully I can use the VHF control from the bedroom to control one of the receivers. The first thing I've got to do is activate the equipment with Dish. I have to make a few mods in the RV to route wires in the cabinet, but should not be a problem.

The dehumidifier in the camper is working overtime these days to keep the humidity down. It fills the water catch bucket pretty quickly.

Have a good day out there. What's going on with you?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #209
AE5BI

What percent humidity do you try to maintain? I usually don't run mine unless it is over 50%.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #210
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE5BI View Post
What percent humidity do you try to maintain? I usually don't run mine unless it is over 50%.
Hi Steve (I think that is the name),

Nice to see you. Right now I have it set at 50%. I sometimes run it at 60 to 65%. Getting it too dry in there can be as harmful as too much humidity, as I'm sure you well know. Here in Florida we normally have a high humidity. This time of year is even worse. I can open the door on the RV and it jumps to 70 and 80% in a few minutes. The humidity righ now outside is 89%.

Good to see you. Where are you located right now?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #211
WD8QBQ

Hi Jim and anyone else lurking. Jim, I see you are not too far from Tallahassee. My daughter is a sophomore there at FL, State. She says it rains there every day in the late afternoon, that's a very beautiful part of FL.

Still cold here, but I think we missed the storm bullet, I hope. Not really too bad this winter "yet".

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #212
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Hi Jim and anyone else lurking. Jim, I see you are not too far from Tallahassee. My daughter is a sophomore there at FL, State. She says it rains there every day in the late afternoon, that's a very beautiful part of FL.

Still cold here, but I think we missed the storm bullet, I hope. Not really too bad this winter "yet".

JIM
Florida State is a good school Jim. Not in such good shape with the pig skin this year though. I'm not a foorball fanatic, but I pull for the 'Noles. I would have liked to have seen Bowden retire with a winning team, but it's not going to happen. Let's face it though, he's long overdue in my opinion. We're about 75 miles from Tally via the roadways. Much closer "as the crow flies." I have a lot of friends and also relatives living in and around Tallahassee.

We're having a heat wave here. It's 69 degrees right now. Looks as though the rain has moved out of here and all headed to the northeast.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #213
KF5BET

It has warmed up here nicely! I had to run to Wally World tonight to get some batteries and went out in my shorts... it's a wonder we are not all sick.

Rained almost all day. Hope tomorrow is better.

Got to start my Christmas shopping pretty soon! Hopefully I can get it done fairly quickly.
I don't think Santa is bringing me any ham stuff...oh well.

Once the new year starts, we are going to enclose our carport and make a true garage. When that happpens, I am going to take over the storage room and make it my man cave (that will be my Christmas gift...even if it will be after December!)

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow. Will check in later.

73's
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #214
AE5BI

Thanks for the info Jim. We are still in the SF Bay Area. Humidity isn't as high here as the SE but still high enough to do damage if we don't keep it under control. They are calling for snow here tonight!

Yep, Steve.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #215
One Country Boy

Morning all. Thought I'd warm up this old thread. The low here this morning was 22 degrees. Now we can stand some of that, here in Florida we are just not prepared for it to continue. We've had freezing temps here for about 3 weeks I think now. It was 25 degrees here at sunset yesterday. Suppose to get even colder tonight. I know many of you are experiencing the same, especially in the NE.

My inverted "V's" have contracted so much, the SWR went up.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #216
Andy N1ORK

9F this morning, up to 16 now (We're havin' a heat wave a tropical heat wave...) but at least it's sunny and not much of a breeze (keeps the wind chill down). Supposed to get up to 42 by Thursday. Whats the forcast down in FL for the 26th? Hope it's warmer by then. Will try to make the EL net on Monday.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #217
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I seem to be a regular on the Before Breakfast Club.... 3.793 MHZ. I'm usually on around 2-3 am Eastern (The net officially starts at 3am)

This morning here in Fair Play SC where the average low temp is 31 degrees (that's the low for the year) per Inn-Accuweather.com it was 25 and calm when I joined the net and 24, still calm, when I logged out at 8:20 UTC (3:20 eastern)

My water hose froze.. Don't yet know if it thawed.. no damage (or freezing) inside the rig however.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #218
One Country Boy

Good mornng Gentlemen;

I thought I'd attempt to revive this thread. Up having my first cup of coffee here this morning. Reading the local news paper on-line and listening to 3950 KHz on the TS2000 and a few stations from time-to-time on the 2 meter and 440 rig. Who says I can't multi-task? Going to check into the net here on 3950 in about another half hour.

The weather has been just great here the past week. Getting a little warm here in Florida. It will not be much longer before we head up to the North Georgia mountains to escape the heat and humidity. Some of our friends are up there as I type and say it is cool.

When we came home from Thomasville, GA last Sunday, I went down on our neighbor's dock and threw a beetle spin with a little ultra-lite spinning rig I have. I caught 3 of the largest bream I've ever caught. I'll post a photo of the first one I caught, although I think the last was a little larger. It was sure fun playing those fishes in the water.

What are you folks up to today and what plans do you have for the summer ? Those of you that are fortunate enough to be retired I mean.

Here's my big fish:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish1 (Small).jpg (65.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #219
Andy N1ORK

AHHH, so that's a Bream..........nice fish, oh yeah, you too Jim.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #220
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
AHHH, so that's a Bream..........nice fish, oh yeah, you too Jim.
Well thanks Andy. As you can see I dressed for the occassion.

Yessir, that's a Bream. Don't you have those up there? He really had a dark color from the dark water he was in but his breast area was a brilliant red. The cell phone photo does not do him justice.

Here's the second one I caught. Those are 2" x 6" board he is laying across. His color is a little different then the first. He's a different variety of fish also. But still a bream. Hi Hi

We are headed down to the "Tupelo Honey Festival" in awhile. This area of the Apalachicola River is the only place in the world where Tupelo Honey is made. It come from the Tupelo Gum Tree that grows in the swamps wild. This honey, when pure, does not crystalize and turn to sugar as other honies do. It is used by diabetics as a sweetner or like eating candy without adverse reactions. Now that I've educated you on Tupelo, I think I'll get ready.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish2 (Small).jpg (31.2 KB, 11 views)