Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Richard Stouffer

Default 146.52

Okay everybody, if you're travelling over the holidays set those mobiles to 146.52. Put a signal out every once in a while and see what happens. Tell everybody on the nets you visit to do the same thing. Who knows, one of us somewhere out there on the lonely road might get one contact between now and New Years.

Let's make it happen cuase we really need a grown up's version of channel 19.

BK

73's
WU5K
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
jagco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
Let's make it happen cuase we really need a grown up's version of channel 19.

Isn't that the truth........
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well, when I'm in the RV and occasionally in the towed I have multiple radios

One sits on 146.52, in fact it's XTAL bound there. (It is a motorola HT) another is digital synth, but it also remains on .52 (Wilson WE-800 It is ready for QCAA membership all by itself For what it does it's the best radio I've ever owned. It was from the third production run (Revision 3) so they got all the bugs out of it first!!!!

So far, in two trips cross country, I have evesdropped (kind of, did not pay much attention) to a couple of "locals" chatting on 52, and I've had ONE person take a chance and call me... I was stopped in a Flying-J in Utah cleaning my windshield when a driver who was resting there saw the callsign plates on the towed and took a chance. He came over and got a laugh out of my shack. (The smaller of the restrooms in my rig)

Hey, it's a nice cozy shack and if you are waiting for your turn on the net and get that feeling of pressure..... You don't miss your turn on the net for running to the "Other office". Cause you there already (I can tell you I've made a few net turns due to that)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Default I have one of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
another is digital synth, but it also remains on .52 (Wilson WE-800 It is ready for QCAA membership all by itself
The Wilson WE-800 is the first ham radio I ever owned...I bought one used at a hamfest in 1981!

Mine receives, but unfortunately does not modulate or I'd have it on APRS.

The concept of the radio was pretty cool. Someone aught to apply modern technology to an updated version of that.

*steps back out of the way-back machine*

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well if you have the manual for your WE-800, the modulator was IIRC a simple phase modulator, very simple, very easily serviced, all discrete components, no IC's in the modulation system. You might be able to fix it easily.

The modulation system consisted of an audio amplifier and a variable capacitance diode, that's it. (Well, a couple of coils too but w/o them it won't transmit, let alone modulate)
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Richard Stouffer

OK, three days on the road and I again monitored 146.52 continuously and made calls about every 90 minutes: nothing. The only thing close to a signal were the few fundamental overloads from 18 wheelers with there outlaw amps. Oh well, it was great weather for driving.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
OK, three days on the road and I again monitored 146.52 continuously and made calls about every 90 minutes: nothing. The only thing close to a signal were the few fundamental overloads from 18 wheelers with there outlaw amps. Oh well, it was great weather for driving.
Yeah seem to be the norm on 146.52, it is hit and miss at best. It is so hard to get enough hams to monitor it. I have been traveling with APRS going hae seen mobiles ahead of me by a few miles and I cant get them to answer 146.52 or the APRS freq.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
w6pea

I have 146.52 in all of my radio's and very seldom if ever hear anyone on them. Unless I am talking symplex to my yl
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
jagco

I hear a guy on 146.52, from home, every so often, but apperently he doesn't hear me
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Ret8008

Well I sure will keep trying. Will be on the road to TX in a week. I have only had three replies on 52 since hitting the road, but if you don't give a call, you wont here any.
Terry, WB6N
Ret8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
Richard Stouffer

I'm heading back home today. If you're anywhere between Orlando and Biloxi today, listen up. I'll go from there to Dallas tomorrow
Old 12-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
_L7

I hate to admit it but I have very, very, rarely monitored .52 while mobile.

I usually look for repeaters in the area I'm traveling through. If my brother and his wife are on the trip with us we usually talk on 1.2 simplex on the road and in the campgrounds. That stopped when I upgraded to the MH as the Tri-band Kenwood that had the 1.2 (in my pick-up) died, and I have not had the time to fix it.

So I will try and remember to switch to 146.52 while on the road and see what responses I can get.
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
Richard Stouffer

Home at last.

Two days of calling on 146.52- nadda.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
W6DCS

I went to Phoenix and back on the I-10, made a few calls, nada here also.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
w6pea

Default 146.52

One time my xyl and I were going west on I-8 we were in seperate vehicles.
We were climbing Ocatio grade talking onsimplex. We came around a curve and had this drunken clown tell us in no uncertain terms to get off of his Freq. and that we were bootlegging the band.

This clown almost made my xyl want to give up her license and send it back to the FCC,with the foul language that he was using.

We listened to this clowns rant for almost 2 hours as we got closer to El Cajon. This clown is still out there and every Saturday night if someone needed to use 146.52 you couldn't and do you think the FCC does anything about it.....you guessed it nada.

Oh and we even gave his call sign to the local fcc office and they never did anything about it.

I monitor 146.52 but very seldomly hear anyone using it except for this drunk clown.
And I never hear anyone when we are out on the road. I was in Quartsite but didn't hear anyone there last time we were there in January of 2006. But it was late at night so maybe they were all sleeping.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Richard Stouffer

I'd bug ARRL to get after the FCC.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Oh and we even gave his call sign to the local fcc office and they never did anything about it.

One of the problems is that the FCC, like most government agencies, has suffered budget cutbacks.

There is an old joke. How would like a job where you can show up (or not) as you wish, vote yourself a raise any time you want and only have to answer to your employers only once every six years?.... Senator.

Well, the House and Senate vote themselves a raise every year then cut budgets elsewhere, including the FCC to pay for it.

Last time I checked (Some years ago) we had an ofice near me that covered something like seven states investigation wise, with only THREE engineer/investigator/inspectors.

Not nearly enough.

So lots of folks have to send in complaints before action is taken.

Or, A couple of folks in Newington
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
kc0pdf

Up here in Duluth Minnesota 146.52 most of the time someone is listening or using simplex. Next time you are up north throw your call out I bet someone will come back and quickly there is a great group of freindly hams around here who use 146.520 most of the time and they always welcome people from out of town and help in any way that they can. There is even an echolink setup on 146.520, But it is not open to everyone (part of the EOC) but most of the locals can use it. Try puting out your call on 146.520 the next time you are are in Minnesota.
kc0pdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
k9yli

When I travel with my van I put in the dual bander from the truck.
normal 2 meter on .52, one side of dual on some 2 meter repeater.
Other side on scan of memory, which includes .52 and .58 plus some common 2m and 440 repeaters.
I would say scan 52 55 58 while driving.
k9yli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #20
Ret8008

OK, first leg from Monroe, LA to Jacksonville, TX. Did not even get a response in Shreveport. I wont give up. I know there is someone out there listening. I just have to get therm to talk. Moving down to Weimar, TX today. Maybe too cool for the RF to move. 18 degrees F this AM.
IC 706 MKllG
Retired CHP
Ret8008 is offline   Reply With Quote