Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
W4OHX

Smile CQ CQ de W4OHX

Just found this forum and very excited about reading all the posts. I very rarely run into another amatuer in my travels and this will be a wondeful way to disuss ideas/problems etc.

Roger
W4OHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

to ORR.net!

Well, you'll find plenty of RV'ing hams here.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There are plenty of Hams in RV's. you can find a bunch of them, in oh, about 2.5 weeks, about 5 or six miles south of I-10 on the west side of SR-95 in Arizona. Alas, I won't be there this year. However I've found them out and about by looking for license plates

And of course when I put up my flag pole,,, With the night light on top (Kind of a joke, single LED lamp, you can ALMOST see it from the ground at night) I get a lot of door knockers Flag pole carries 3 VHF/UHF antennas too
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
w6pea

I'm new here also, see you out on the road some day.
I am now trying to figure what type of Screw driver to use on my class-c.
Been really leaning towrds a High Sierra Set up. Maybe get a sidekick and mount it to the ladder. But make it so I can use it at home also.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
N7OQ

Hi Roger, welcome aboard glad to have you with us and look forward to hearing more from you.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Richard Stouffer

Roger, we were at Thousand Trails in Orlando last week and there were two other hams in the same block I parked in. They are out there. Put the antenna up and they will find you. License plates with your call sign help too.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
jagco

Welcome to the forum, Roger.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Ret8008

Good to have you aboard Roger.
IC 706 MKllG
Retired CHP
Ret8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
_L7

Welcome aboard Roger.

I haven't seen too many hams in RVs yet but only get on the road a few weeks a year so far.

Ed
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

This is not exactly Ham Radio related but in a way it is.

For several years when I went camping for the weekend (At least 10 years) I pulled a 13' SCAMP trailer. In all those years I never saw another. Finally, in 2005, I pulled it up to General RV, unhooked it, got in a Class A motor home (Brand New Damon Intruder 377W) and suddenly every time I hit the road with the RV, there is another Scamp.

One of those (I think the 1st or 2nd one I saw) had a large sign in the rear window with the owner's callsign on it.. Tried to call them but alas, they were not listening to 146.52

Like the Scamp trailers.. They are out there.. I don't know why I suddenly see Scamps all over but I have had people call me while on the road It helps if you have multiple radios so you can leave one on 146.52 or if you have a plate (Such as I had on my old Apache) that lists the frequencies you monitor Soon as I get everything the way I want it on the MH, that plate will make the trip to the Damon
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
_L7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is not exactly Ham Radio related but in a way it is.

For several years when I went camping for the weekend (At least 10 years) I pulled a 13' SCAMP trailer. In all those years I never saw another. Finally, in 2005, I pulled it up to General RV, unhooked it, got in a Class A motor home (Brand New Damon Intruder 377W) and suddenly every time I hit the road with the RV, there is another Scamp.

One of those (I think the 1st or 2nd one I saw) had a large sign in the rear window with the owner's callsign on it.. Tried to call them but alas, they were not listening to 146.52

Like the Scamp trailers.. They are out there.. I don't know why I suddenly see Scamps all over but I have had people call me while on the road It helps if you have multiple radios so you can leave one on 146.52 or if you have a plate (Such as I had on my old Apache) that lists the frequencies you monitor Soon as I get everything the way I want it on the MH, that plate will make the trip to the Damon
I have seen several MHs with ham plates but never saw antennas and also could not make contact on 146.52.

Once I figure out a way to bring in multiple antenna cables I plan on having 2m, 440, and 1.2 while mobile and HF + 6m while stopped. If you come up with an easy way of mounting multiple antennas and routing multiple cables into a MH without doing alot of drilling into the roof or fiberglass post it here.

Thanks,

Ed
For everything else - WORK

Home - Yaesu FT847 / ID-800 / 80M Inv. V
Zero Five 43' HF vertical
Tower and Beams - Some Day
Local - 2m, 440, and 1.2 Rpts
Echolink - N6LZR-R (Linked to 1.2 Rpt )
IRLP - Coming soon
DStar Rpts - Coming soon
QSL via EQSL.cc

We need a fishing smiley, a beer drinking smiley, and an HT Smiley