Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Hobart Duncan

Default A forum that agrees with me.....

First licensed in '61 and Generalized in '62 - a Jr. in High School.
Enlisted in the US Navy '65 and license expired in '67. I had no reason to reacquire my license after being discharged in '69. I really didn't like what the ARRL was doing with the licensing, band privileges, code/no-code.... etc.
It wasn't until age 59, being forced into accepting SSDI and then the purchases of a 2001 Forest River Sierra, '97 Dodge Dually Diesel, and a need to communicate on the open road, that I took the General exam and reclaimed my old call; WA6VCN. It sounds selfish, and I guess it is.... but, I need a reliable way of communication and a cell phone and/or CB rig just don't get the job done. I took a typing class in High School just because I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with my code speed; now, can no longer do 42 WPM in CW, but I can hold my own between 15 and 20.
I've had the 5th wheel and Dodge for over three years now, and have not gone anywhere because my mother was taken with dementia and took a turn for the worse and need my attention during that time. She passed in December of last year and now is at peace.... and I no longer have an excuse to stay in one place. The only thing now is my limited mobility (back problems) but now I'm rambling...... I'm just glad to find a forum that can relate to my two major desires; travel and communications.
Hobart Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote