Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #21
accumack

The programing cable is coming from China it was shipped a couple of weeks ago and should be here in couple of more.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #22
Radio
Administrator

I had a Radio Shack 10 meter in my previous truck. It's the same radio as a "Ranger" just with the RS name on it. Nice rig! Used a center loaded RS CB antenna. Worked all over North Africa and Eastern Europe with that thing running mobile with 25 watts.

What fun that was!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #23
electricflyer

Accumack, are you a full time RVer? I see your address is Livingston, TX at an Escapees RV park. I go through Livingston on my way to DD's house in Magnolia, TX. Last time we stopped at Sandy Creek COE west of Jasper (a beautiful lake). It may this fall before I get back that way since I have a 2000+ mile trip planned in late July going to Iowa for my 55th year class reunion, the trip to Magnolia is about 1700 miles round trip. If you are still around there I'll give you a call on 146.52 or a local repeater.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
accumack

We don't spend time at Livingston. We are currently wintering in Hemet, CA. and are heading to Bastrop Texas in late March early April then to New Mexico. Back to Hemet then back to New Mexico and heading up to South Dakota for the summer. I have a 10 meter unit coming in tomorrow and will use that when parked.
KG5LTL
Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #25
accumack

I passed my General last Saturday in Palm Springs CA. I'm going to wait to study for my Extra as the test questions change July 1st. I'm going to try to learn CW in the mean time.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #26
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

1st Radio and antenna depends on many things.

First what band: VHF/UHF
For VHF/UHF a good NO GROUND PLANE antenna, Diamond, Comet, Single or dual band (Depending) works well. Mine is mounted on the Mirror arm, but a second one can be mounted... in other places. (long story).

These antennas do not need a metal surface.

Radios: There are some very cheap China made hand healds like the Baoefeng (Which I happen to have one of) I'm not very impressed with it.. Though many say it is hard to "program" I've not had that problem,, But it flat does not perform as well as I'd like. I think I paid 50 bucks.

Yeseau, Kenwood and Icom all have very good radios, both hand held and "mounted" single and dual band, and some of them offer advanced modes like Digital. Hand healds can sell for as much as 500 dollars or more... Generally mounted radios are lower in cost. (You can get a decent used one from HRO or some such for as low as 100 bucks if you are lucky, perhaps less at a swap meet).

HF, I Picked Kenwood (TS-2000) back when the model number was the price, along with a KAT-1 Auto tuner and a long wire (Currently 50 feet) and a few fishing poles and a flag pole to hole it up.. (I really like a longer wire)

ICOM also makes some great stuff as does Ten-Tec, Yesau, Elecraft and a host of other companies.. I actually would hesitiate to recommend any of them over the others.

OH, so why did I pick the TS-2000... Well I measured the space where I was going to mount it, and I measured the TS-2000 (And a few others) it fit, the others did not.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Suggestion.. If you can convince your traveling partner to get a Tech license.. The little Baofeng or the other company (Starts with W as I recall) might be a good "Intercom" rig for when one of you is outside and the other is inside.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote