Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
KD2NEI Steve

Unhappy New Tech Licensee >> SSOO confused

Hello, my name is Steve KD2NEI. Been RV full-timing 2 years, just got my Technician License 3 weeks ago. Bought a Yaesu handheld.
My intentions of getting into ham are:
1. connecting with folks as I come into new area, asking for suggestions about places to visit, RV service, etc
2. 'emergency' connection to outside world if I am out of cell range
3. I can imagine myself getting more involved in emergency response, as I am now becoming involved in Habitat for Humanity Care-A-Vaners.
4. I like EchoLink and IRLP.
Note to self: I am not as much drawn to casual conversations.
So, in upstate NY where I took my test, the Yaesu handheld worked great. There were several repeaters being used.
HOWEVER, here near Santee SC where I am spending a few months, I cannot connect to anyone. The repeaters listed are over 7 miles away, and I hear nothing. I double checked with IRRL rep in SC, and he confirmed that repeaters are not used much.
I also reached out to a blogger who responded "The repeaters are not used much these days across the country. I have two meter mobile in my rig and have had no more than two or three QSOs in five years of traveling more than 150,000."
So I am confused, and do not have an Elmer familiar with RV ham radios. Do I need to get my General License then migrate to something like a Yaesu 817 that I can bring into field and operate mobile in RV? Do I go to Yaesu 857, then not have communication in the field when on my bike or walking in woods?
Your reactions and suggestions greatly appreciated.
- Steve,KD2NEI
KD2NEI Steve is offline   Reply With Quote