Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Thinking about small town life.

I've never lived in a really small town. I was born and raised on a farm in SW Iowa and moved to the big city when I was about 8 years old. The smallest one was about 70,000 people but back in Iowa where I grew up there are many small farming communities. Anyway got to thinking about the evil pranks that people in the little town my BIL lived in. They had their way of having clean fun though. He was well known in the community and had been mayor, fire chief, ems responder and general fix it guy. They are really did some funny stuff and it seemed people may have gotten mad about it sometimes but they always got over it. No one locked their doors in town, they left their keys in the ignition and all that.

So he was telling about a neighbor that went away on vacation and while they were gone someone came in their garage and mortared up a concrete block wall behind the garage door so when they got back and raised the garage door there was the concrete block wall. One of the people we talked to about it commented and said "damn nice job of laying blocks too".

Another time the barber went on vacation and someone(s) let a bunch of rabbits loose in his barber shop (never locked it up) and the rabbits chewed all the electric cords to his clippers and such.

Then there was the old refrigerator that mysteriously moved around on homes rooftop to rooftop. A lot of shuffling around after dark.

And also, a number of friends (men only) used to go on fishing trips up in Minnesota and one of them had a cabin on a lake. They all liked to drink a little (should say a lot of) brewsky and they acquired a soft drink dispensing machine and filled it with cans of beer. They wired it with an old garage door opener receiver so they could just push a button and get a beer out. But, everyone didn't know about the setup on the machine so they had one guy they picked on that when one of the guys wanted a beer he would push a button on the machine and someone else would activate the machine to dispense a can. But when the one they picked on would push the button on the machine nothing would happen. They gave him grief the whole time they were fishing.

BIL has since built a new house on the family farm (with an antenna setup like no other I've ever seen). He bought the farm through the estate so he is no longer in the small community but I'm sure there is still a lot of mischief going on knowing him. He just retired last year so lots of time to lurk around.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
coupevillefish

We grew up on a farm near a small town in northern Idaho. My granddad worked for the county and drove the road grader. He had an ongoing thing with "Nip", the local barber. During the winter, he would drag a full blade of snow for miles and drop it in Nip' s driveway.

Never heard what the deal was between them or how Nip got even, but I'm guessing that he did.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Ever hear of Tekonsha, MI? NO, Well how about Tekonsha Engeneering makers of the Prodigy Trailer brake controllers?

Village 700 And 700 More in the township when I was trying to date the daughter of the founder of the company (Sadly I failed... Too Shy back then, That's changed now).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote