Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
N8CXX

Default MH ladder mount

I would like to mount my Tarheels to my MH ladder thru something that works like a screwdriver mounting system. This screwdriver system would move the Tarheels to above the roof top when I want to operate. The move down when we hit the road.

There has to be a system out there as I just didn't dream this mechanism up.

Any ideas where to look?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
N3LYT

Well the screw driver antennas use a 1/4 20 threaded rod two pieces of pipe inside one another and a motor with lots of rod.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Well the screw driver antennas use a 1/4 20 threaded rod two pieces of pipe inside one another and a motor with lots of rod.
Some of them do, anyway. The KJ7U screwdrivers mount with a 1/2-13 bolt, very sturdy.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
N3LYT

I think he wants to build a pole that would extend electrically. The big stuff like on a news van is air powered it would be my luck to have the stop fail and I would launch my antenna into the next county with 10' of broken coax trailing behind.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
... I would launch my antenna into the next county with 10' of broken coax trailing behind.
That's more fun than ham radio anyway!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
N3LYT

It really is just the picture in my mind is worth it.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Why not an extension ladder... Here is the system.

Two pipes, one inside the other with a solid bolt stop, you want at least a foot or two of overlap when fully extended..

The one pipe is mounted to the motor home, it can be PVC if you wish but .. Well.. Think about it.

At the top is a pully, this can be mounted to the pipe if metal or to the motor home if you use PVC (PVC will need additional bracketing).

A small electric winch pulls the inner pipe up.

Reversing the winch lowers it back down (you can add a "tug" line in case it's needed, or a spring to help it start, once it's started it should come down on it's own).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
One Country Boy

John (N8CXX),

I had never considered that possibility. A very good idea I might add. I've never seen anything like that advertised, but that does not mean it's not out there. I take it you would like to buy something already in production and not wishing to build this movable mount. I know you have probably already searched the internet. I too will look around.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
TimeToGetGoing

I do not want to hijack this thread, (and I'll start a new thread if that is better) but I hope we can continue to chew on this subject and explore some solutions.

I want to add a dual band to my RV, but of course, it cannot stay up while we are driving. Plus even if I could find the space, I'm not sure this antenna would be rugged enough to survive.

Any thoughts?

Bob
KV4MJ
TimeToGetGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Mount the antenna bracket on the ladder, it must have a flat face facing to the rear and allow the antenna which is mounted on its bracket also with a flat face to mount against it.
The two flat faces against each other and attached by a bolt to allow the antenna to pivot (swing round and round as the hand of a clock), with the addition of bolt holes to clamp it into 12 and 6 O'clock positions (operating and transit)
You would use the quick disconnect for the top whip available from Tarheel.

Placing this all in the right vertical spot on the ladder will get the antenna coil above the RV, a necessity for transmit and below the roofline for driving.

Just my idea, if you can follow it?

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
N8CXX

Lots of interesting concepts.

This is more of what I am looking for.

http://www.thomsonlinear.com/website...ts/llu_whz.php

I want a vertical linear ball screw system that I can move my antenna up with the aid of a DC drill.

I may have to engineer it myself. I'm sure there is a market for it.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

You might do a search on the web or "E-BUCK" for "Linear Actuators" , same thing only different (sort of).
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Yeah, this'n for example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Inch-Line...r#ht_965wt_925
Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
W9CMG

Look at "Antenna EZ Lifter"

http://www.alpineantenna.com/main/pa..._rv_mount.html
W9CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9CMG View Post
Yes! That is the one I was searching for too. There used to be a video of it in operation a couple of years ago.

I have been looking for that link myself for a couple of years. Never could re-find it after first seeing it.

I'd bet that will solve the OPs "problem".

I know that will be the system I will install when I get my MH...

Thanks again for posting that EZ-Lifter link .

On Edit 5-31-2014:

AHhhh... It looks like the original EZ-Lifter company is OOB and Alpine has gotten the rights to produce the device. That's why I couldn't re-find the original link! I'm still looking for the original video of the EZ-Lifter in operation. It was very convincing that this was a wonderful product for it's application.

Also, Tarheel make another interesting "erector". Different principal, but raises and lowers at least a Tarheel with a push of a button.

http://www.tarheelantennas.com/mounts (Scan to the very bottom of the page. $459)

I have no idea how one would attach anything to the roof of a MH, let alone a big heavy erector like this Tarheel "lift and lay" erector. Seems like it would also need some radials, wire mesh or similar grounding being in the middle of a plastic(?) MH roof like that.

Then there is also the "tipper" system.

I've also looked at this in the past: http://www.penningerradio.com/image_gallery.asp#

Not automatic, but easy to erect. About halfway down the "tipper" page is a Travel Trailer installation.

These last two items are not ladder mount, but seem to also meet most of the OP's original requirements. Anyway... just some other ideas for the OP... and me too .

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #16
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Trucker's Mirror Mount will attach to the ladder... This is a very heavy "L" bracket, it has a half inch or 3/8 depending on the mount hole for the antenna and a 4-bolt clamp that fits over the ladder with a "V" shape so it clamps on a pipe stable.

PROBLEM.. Motor home ladders tend to be very light weight per my standards, I"d be worried about the ladder.

HOW do I mount antennas?

Well, long ago back when I had a sticks and bricks I "Inhearated" A 4 band trap verticle.

I hae a custom made drop hitch (Blue Ox made it special for me) it is the proper size drop to line up my tow bars with the base plate on my car.. (That is the standard part) but they welded on a "Tong" that holds a Draw-Tight bicycle carrier.. The base for the 4BTV is mounted to that.. IF there is no tree about I use the 4BTV with my KAT-1 Tuner. But if there are trees,, I can drop a pole (extendable fishing pole or painters pole) over the base rod.

How would I mount that antenna.. Basically on the bicycle carrier,, Very strong.

OH. you also need a "Hitch Immobilizer" on the Drop hitch-Motor home connection if you do this (Another blue ox product) works great.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote