Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
KF5BET

Default Field Day

We had a pretty good field day here in LA. We were set up at the fair grounds located in Rayne. We were under a large pavilion and did not have to worry about the sun too much.

Got to the site about 9 am and helped set up. Got on the air and made several contacts. The most exciting contact was W1AW on 15 meters . another guy and I tried for a solid 20 minutes to get through to W1AW with no luck. We asked a yl to sit down at the radio and give it a go. She was able to make contact on the very first try. It was very exciting for me

The girls could not go out Saturday because of other obligations, but asked to go today. We got back to the site around 8:30 and the girls were able to get on the radio. Between the two of them, they were able to get about 12 contacts in about 30 minutes. They were very excited and said they had a good time.

Good conversation, good friends, good food and good times....(oh I also learned a little too!)

Abbi

Kendra
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
w5olm

Galen
Congrats to the girls on their contacts. I know that those are proud moments for them and proud moments for dad. Unfortunately, I could not make it. Sat and Sun are my two big work days, putting in 15 hours each day.
Glad everbody had a good time. Maybe next year I can make it.
w5olm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Mr. Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
We had a pretty good field day here in LA. We were set up at the fair grounds located in Rayne. We were under a large pavilion and did not have to worry about the sun too much.

Got to the site about 9 am and helped set up. Got on the air and made several contacts. The most exciting contact was W1AW on 15 meters . another guy and I tried for a solid 20 minutes to get through to W1AW with no luck. We asked a yl to sit down at the radio and give it a go. She was able to make contact on the very first try. It was very exciting for me

The girls could not go out Saturday because of other obligations, but asked to go today. We got back to the site around 8:30 and the girls were able to get on the radio. Between the two of them, they were able to get about 12 contacts in about 30 minutes. They were very excited and said they had a good time.

Good conversation, good friends, good food and good times....(oh I also learned a little too!)

Abbi

Kendra
The girls needed to each make 10 contacts in order to get the 50 bonus points.
Congrat's on the successful field days...

I myself operated with another local club - 60 miles away..
No one helped me set up or tear down.
The club did not give me a tent to use this year.

{ I couldn't take the trailer due to a bad wheel bearing that I did not find until the night before Field Days - with all the rainy weather we have been having it has been tough to find the time to do all the outside things that I have to do here at the Slanty Shanty..
The vegetable garden was full of weeds, the grass grows 6 inches a week, the truck needs a good wash job, the cars needs vacuum cleaned, the porch needs new steps - you get my point....}

The club members showered gifts and attention to a new club member that only operated for a couple of hours - because he owns a business and has money. They even brought the mobile repeater tower to the site so he would have someplace in the open to hang his antenna...

I made 350 contacts in 5 hours and had one youth make 12 contacts in one hour and then I tore down and hauled it all home - a 2 hour ride from the field days site.
I still have not put up the off-center fed dipole at the QTH yet.
Camping season this year has been a bust with the cold weather, hot weather and the rain here in the north!
Most of the campgrounds are complaining about the lack of revenue...
No one wants to camp when it is raining on the weekends...
Mr. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote