Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

I flunked my 20 three times...and after each time I flunked it I went to our club shack and was working my CW partners at 25 - 30 wpm...the VE's came into the room and wanted to know why I flunked the test and could send and receive at those speeds...told them I hate taking tests...I just freeze when taking them...the 4th time was the charm...but I did not give up...I think the written advanced was the toughest test of them all...so much for this...everyone just enjoy the modes you like
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
TXiceman

I think some of the old timers have forgotten what common courtesy really is. Last week during the School Club Round up, I heard a ham respond to a call from a school in Wagoner, OK. The fellow running the station was doing a great job and seemed to be enjoying it. The old timer...after I looked up his call, he was an extra, was telling the young man he was operating on a net frequency and had better plan to move off of it in about 10 minutes as they (sounded like he included) would blow him off the air with all or the 1K amps.

Seems he has forgotten the basic operating principle that no one owns a frequency. They could easily shift their net up of down a few KHz and let him keep his frequency. Or they could politely ask if he could move...not threaten him. Very rude person.

ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #23
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I think some of the old timers have forgotten what common courtesy really is. Last week during the School Club Round up, I heard a ham respond to a call from a school in Wagoner, OK. The fellow running the station was doing a great job and seemed to be enjoying it. The old timer...after I looked up his call, he was an extra, was telling the young man he was operating on a net frequency and had better plan to move off of it in about 10 minutes as they (sounded like he included) would blow him off the air with all or the 1K amps.

Seems he has forgotten the basic operating principle that no one owns a frequency. They could easily shift their net up of down a few KHz and let him keep his frequency. Or they could politely ask if he could move...not threaten him. Very rude person.

ken
This is a problem I have experienced myself, rude net operators telling me to go away because it was their new frequency or they just start the net right on top of you. There are to many nets to know who, when and where there will be a net. Then if you check into the net and are not one of the good old boys they will rush you along. OK got you have a nice day, next, but if it is one of the good old boys they can talk as long as they want.

I will take a impromptu round table over a net any day!
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
w6pea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

ken
I have had that happen to me on 2 meters.
I was calling for help at an auto accident(I was not involved) and this clown tells me and the other ham I was in contact with to get off of his freq. he was going to start a WAMO net.
What a joke.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #25
w7wv

Yes I know. I don't get on 75 or 40 very often.
I don't know why, I just never have with the exception of the "rock bound" days when I lived on 40 as a Novice in the 70s.
I find myself mostly on 17, 15 and 20. The folks on 17 are my kind of people. And no contests either.
Did dropping CW cause the problems we have today. I don't think so. More like a lack of self respect and discipline.
Life goes on.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #26
Richard Stouffer

I've never had a problem with 40. Every net I've broken into has welcomed me and each has been glad to have the company. I've made sure that before I broke it sounded like the kind of folks I wanted chat with or that I had something in common with that group.

I wouldn't even think of trying a break on most of the nets or QSO I'ver heard on 75.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
W6DCS

I thought nets were for the community, but some folks think net means my own personal chit chat line. I have never met a ham who disrupted a net "just because", but I am sure there are a few out there. Folks running a net need to realize that if it is a scheduled non emergency net one minds moving. What I hate are those who jump on and tell you "My net is starting in 10 minutes, so be done and be gone when it starts". I have had this happen a few times, but so few I can't count them on one hand. It is much nicer when they let you know in a friendly way.
I stay off a few 2 meter repeaters as there are some who think they own them.
I remember a few years ago I was traveling and needed the Highway Patrol for an accident that had just happened. I looked in the repeater book and could only find closed repeater that I could hit. I was able to get into it, and at first was told in a rude manner it was a closed system and I wasn't on the authorized list. When I explained what I needed the other ham made the phone calls on the landline. I even received an apology from him for being rude, but he said many times folks think they own it and are not members or supporters. I thanked him for the assistance and the repeater usage.
I belong to a closed system that spans a huge area, but have yet to see anyone on the system tell anyone to get off of it. We don't mind visitors, and as long as your friendly we don't bite.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote