Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default New Christmas Present

I bought my new Christmas present. It arrived last Friday, Dec 9, 2016. I got a Yaesu FTDX-1200. I was waiting for the price to drop and apparently Yaesu has dropped the price a little and Gigaparts went from $1259.95 to $1169.95 in the last week. There are a couple other dealers that are 10-20 bucks cheaper but Gigaparts takes PayPal and anything over $99 gives you 6 months/no payment/no interest and of the major retailers Gigaparts and DXEngineering are a couple of the few that take PayPal. So, since Gigaparts is about 120 miles from me they got the business. I could have gone to their store but sales tax in Huntsville Al is 10%. Yaesu has a $200 rebate good until Dec 31st so that made my damages to be $969.95. I could have bought from HRO but because they have a store in Georgia I would have had to pay sales tax and I don't know what it is in Fulton County but probably about 8% so another 93.52 saved.

A couple of the hams in my club have a FTDX 1200 and they love it. One also has a FT950 and was at HRO with a friend and was playing around with the display radios and wanted to sell one of them but didn't know which was the best. One of the salesmen fired them both up for him and just swapped both on and there was a very noticeable difference in the reception so my friend decided to keep the FTDX 1200 and put the other one up for sale.

I haven't been able to set it up yet as I use power pole connectors and had to order some so it will be after the 1st of the year before I get operational (leaving on a 3 week trip next week). I also have to put my dipole back up because I took it down to have a dead pine tree removed. When I get it going I'll give a non-professional report on how I like it. I've got a FT-450 right now and it is a very nice radio with a super receiver but I wanted a few more bells and whistles so this is it.

Just a note, a few months back we had a guy test for Extra. We asked him if he had a radio (there a quite a few extras that don't have radios) and what he had. He said he had a FT 5000, we asked him if he drove his bemmer to the session. I like the ham radio hobby but not that much.

I just looked at the Gigaparts web site and they are now out of stock for the FTDX 1200. I may have got one of the last ones. There is the link. https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-dx1200-2.html

Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote