Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
TXiceman

Default New radio

The XYL gave the OK to get a new radio. Last week I ordered a Yaesu FT950. I have already sold my FT897D to a new ham here at work.

I have downloaded the manual to study so I should be able to hit the ground running when the box arrives.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Oboy

Sweet! Have fun with the new rig! Take some photos unpacking it! That way the moment will last!

Mark K5WMH
Oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
KB5LJE

Congrats!!!!!!

Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

There's nothing like the smell of a new radio coming out of the box. No. really I'm quite serious, I like the smell of new electronic equipment, new shoes and new tires. But not that eye burning gas attack you find inside of new travel trailers.

I don't know what exactly it is that gives new radios that aroma. You put a used radio in a box for a few years and it doesn't have that "new" smell. If anything, it smells musty. I think the "new radio smell" comes from the wash process of removing all the solder flux from the finished circuit boards.

So open that box, and take a really deep breath, and enjoy it!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Your going to like the 950, but will recommend that you save your pennies and add the band scope module and the dmu 2000.
Kinda pricey add on's but really sets the radio free, kinda like hooking a FT-450 to a puter, makes it a lot easier to access the filtering and other menu driven goodies.
Enjoy! it's a great radio.
73, John
W9WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
TXiceman

I was running the FT897 with HRD and DM for digital mode. I have seen some comments that the 950 works pretty well on HRD. The XYL would scream bloody murder if I went for the DMU right now. She ask if I sould find cheaper hobbies.

I bought a new recumbent trike (Greenspeed GT5) and a Colt Defender (compact 1911 45 acp), so she says I have spent enough money for a while.
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Re: Downloading the manual GOOD IDEA.. The downloaded manual is hard to loose

Oh, by the way do you back up the HD from time to time? (If not do so.. NOW)

Re: the new radio.. Today's super Ham Rigs work best if for the first many months you keep the PDF manual very handy and the Paper one even handier.. As in one hand on the Manual and one on the mic. I'm still learning a few features of my Kenwood TS-2000 and it's been 4 years.

Then I downloaded Ham Radio Delux (Which by the way I recommend you do) and .. Even more features were quickly found in the program.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
TXiceman

I keep a very dog-eared paper copy of the manual close at hand and it is full of yellow highlights and marker tabs. Makes it easy to find some of the things you use ever so often.

I have been running HRD on the FT897 for some time now.

Ken
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
TXiceman

Well, had the FT950 up and running for about 4 days now and I really like it. Lots of new features to get use to. I have been getting good audio and signal reports.

I have not hooked it up to HRD or the Signal Link USB since I can't find my DB9 to USB cable. Stopped at Best buy to get one and it was $36.95....yikes. So I ordered on off of the net for about $10.00 including shipping. It is just some wire and a couple of plugs.

Ken
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
TXiceman

Now I have the Signal Link USB installed, HRD up and running and DM470. I got some state site openings on 10M today on SSB.

ken
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

One word about that DB9-USB cable.. Most of them don't work

I have 3 (Well actually 4 but one died)
One uses the Prolific chip set: It does not work, will not read, will not write, will control PTT using RTS/DTS

One Belkin.. Works partially... Works with YP-log to read the frequency and also works to control PTT as above but unlike the Prolific chip set it defaults to TRANSMIT when first hooked up.

One RTS-3 from RT-Engineering or RT-Enterprise (Make programming software for Yesau FT-51 R) Works, period, 100% with all software and radios I have.

NOTE: I have tested the Prolific and Belkin on several different devices and with several different programs.. (Same for the RTS-3) only the RTS-3 worked with everythign.

There are a few hunderd I have not tested and I'm sure at least a dozen of them work too. (others have tested them) but I'd beware Prolific chip sets.

If that one you bought off the net is a Prolific.. contact me.. i'd like to replace the one that broke,, it was my PTT controller.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
TXiceman

The cheap one from the net did not work. I wound up with the one from Radio Shack (Gigaware) #26-949. It works OK.

Ken