Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
margeo
George NA9E

Default New ham Rv'er

Hello all. I came across this site while scanning the amateur radio form on Good Sam's site. I only hope this group is truly about amateur radio - not stupid arguments about CB or not CB.

Have been Rving only a year. Looking forward to the coming season. Spend most of time in southern Indiana or N.Eastern Ky.

Always listening on 146.520 while on the road.

Have IC718 for base. Hope to set up OLD TS-130 in RV. (It still works grand !)

How about some attenna ideas for RV ?

margeo NA9E
margeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default Newby

Hi George, what kind of RV are you RV'ing in? Look to the thread down the page about the ATAS120. It is a perfect example of what we face antenna wise and one working solution. Also check out the photo gallery for more ideas.

There are also threads here about locating equipment in various types of RV's. Feel free to ask away, all of us are still learning! I just celebrated 50 years licensed and yep, I am still learning!!!

John K3NOQ/5 today

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
KF5BET

Welcome aboard George!

You found a great site with a lot of helpful people on board. I have been on here for almost a year and have received lots of help in my endeavors with both RV'ing and Haming.

Have a look around and get used to the site. Someone will jump in and give you all kinds of info (great folks!)

Galen KF5BET
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeo View Post
Hello all. I came across this site while scanning the amateur radio form on Good Sam's site. I only hope this group is truly about amateur radio - not stupid arguments about CB or not CB.

Have been Rving only a year. Looking forward to the coming season. Spend most of time in southern Indiana or N.Eastern Ky.

Always listening on 146.520 while on the road.

Have IC718 for base. Hope to set up OLD TS-130 in RV. (It still works grand !)

How about some attenna ideas for RV ?

margeo NA9E
CB?? Corner Bracing, And, for my sister, Connie Bain?? CB??

Welcome to the board. I have Icoms as well starting with my trusty and old reliable IC V-8 2 meter, to my 746 pro. My V-8 Has fallen off the back of my Pickup at 25 to 30 miles an hour, and other than breaking the clip off the back it still works. I had to make a U-turn to retrieve it before it got run over by another car. It is near indestructible.

Personally I am still waiting for someone to measure the SWR of the back ladder for 2 meters. I would think that most RV ladders would work for 2 meters. Who knows? It could be worth a try.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Dizzy-Dick

Welcome aboard. I am sure you will find a lot of helpfull information on both Ham radio and RVing.

When I was pulling a travel trailer with a pickup, I had no antenna problems at all. Had a rear bumper mounted Hustler Tri-Bander and usually had 15, 20, and 40 meter resonators installed. At least one of those bands was open all the time. For VHF & UHF, I just had a mag mount antenna on the roof of the cab.

That all changed when I got my class-C Motor-Home. Am not satisfied with system I have now. Use a ham stick for HF and a duel band for VHF & UHF, both using a mounting bracket that fitts under the hood. This slops the antennae forward and clears my cab-over section. Not a perfect set-up.

Good luck and let us know a little more about your RV and the problems you are having with antenna mounting.

73's
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Bob W4RAA

Welcome to the gaggle.

I am using a Larsen 2/70 mtr combo for the 2/70mtr (YAESU FT 7900) (1/4wl on the 2 mtr and 3/4 wl on 70cmtr), mounted on a stainless steel plate on the roof of my Class C, also have an ATAS 120 for the HF radio (YAESU 857D).

Bob
W4RAA
Bob W4RAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Welcome to the group George.

Some antennas to look at are Tar Heel and Hi Q, for HF.

What kind of RV application are you looking at, trailer, motor home or what?

WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeo View Post
I only hope this group is truly about amateur radio - not stupid arguments about CB or not CB.

margeo NA9E
Welcome aboard!

We just never mention CB radio here. Just never seems to come up. But for the record, non-ham RV'ers are welcome here as well.

As far as stupid arguments go, this is a really swell bunch. As admin, I have never once had to "moderate" a member of this forum, ever, for any reason.

Again, welcome aboard ORR.net

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

What's CB radio? (I actually know the answer, I listen to 19 when on the road again)

Antenna.. I feed my TS-2000 to it's partner a KAT-1 Tuner, (NOTE: I SUSPECT! (key word) that several competing tuners just might work identically) and that feeds a length of wire 100' Stranded copper, still insulated, the other end of this is a cotton or nylon "rope" and the other end of that is.. Usually, a 2 pound concrete cylinder (Take a Crystal Light "Can" drink the drink. fill with concrete and a eye bolt with nut, let harden)

I toss the weight over tree limbs "David V/S Golaith" style (or "shot put" style on lower limbs) and if needed add more weight (only is there is no "Center tree"

Seems to do well.

You could arrow or pneumatic launch it over the trees too if you wish
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote