Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Bicycle Rack

The wife and I discussed getting bicycles last year to take on our trips. Especially when away for several weeks in the summer. Our family gave us each a bicycle last Christmas and I had been trying to decide what type rack to get. I didn't want one to hang from the ladder. That's a lot of weight bouncing up and down on the rear of the 5er. It could possibly loosen or damage the ladder mounts. Besides it might interfere with my mounting of antennas. I finally settled on the one below. I like the idea of the weight resting in the wheel carriers. When it comes down to it, all the weight and stress is on one point, the bolted on receiver. The four inch bumper is solidly welded to the frame so maybe it will be OK. I didn't realize there were so many different types of bike racks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg receiver (Small).JPG (48.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Misc2009_0527_175838 (Small).JPG (51.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

That is a very good rack. I use draw tight, it supports the top cross bar (The one that is missing on a "Girl's Bike" and also fits, well, in my case a ball hitch adapter (either 2" or 1 1/4" which then fits either the MH or the Towed.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Jim, I like that bike rack, but think my spare tire would interfere with it. Attached is a picture of my 1 ton Dodge that I have a "headache rack" on, which is actually my antenna mounting system, plus can open the back slider window, and the dogs cant get out, when stopped.

What I do is just tie our bikes to the back of the headache rack with bungie cords and a cable/lock so they wont get stolen. Not too much of a hassle to get them down from there, as they are pretty light bikes (aluminum frames).

Oh, this picture was taken afew years back, and dont have that array of antennas on the rack anymore. Left to Right: CB, 2M APRS tracker, Dual-Bander, Scanner and of course the Hustler HF with triple configuration, which worked lousy, ha ha...

Who made that rack anyway???

2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote