Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #221
KF5BET

What bait did you use Jim? We couldn't catch anything on our camping trip last weekend.

Maybe they didn't like hot dogs I dunno!!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #222
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
What bait did you use Jim? We couldn't catch anything on our camping trip last weekend.

Maybe they didn't like hot dogs I dunno!!
Hi Galen, I was foolin' 'em. I was using a beetle-spin on an ultra-lite rig. They were just hungry. Probably would have eaten a hot dog as long as it had mustard.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #223
One Country Boy

Good morning Gentlemen. A low of 66 degrees here in Dixie last night. Thunderstorms are in the forecast for today and tomorrow. Current radar pic below. Everyone likes pics.

We put our boat in the water yesterday and did a little riding on the Dead Lakes, Chipola and Apalachicola Rivers. Let me tell you it was hot. I got a little sun on my "snow white legs". I could tell when I put them between the cool sheets last night.

I'm going to get out today and install my Icom V8000 in the tow vehicle. I've not had a VHF rig in a mobile in awhile. Will be nice to get one back on the air while rollin' down the road.

What's happenig in your world today ?

CQ CQ CQ ORR Members K

Attached Images
File Type: jpg radar051610-1 (Small).jpg (65.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #224
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

6 days till my wife and I purchase a used RV and move in full-time. We have zero experience so we are anxious and excited. We've considered this for years and now our child is 18 and nothing is holding us back. I will be workamping with my Federal job at Amarillo and hopefully I will be able to transfer to Colorado Springs soon. The weather is decent here with highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s, but a cold front is moving in this week. We have sold EVERYTHING we own, so even if the weather turns cold by Saturday the move will only take an hour or so. I think I have my antenna and base installation all figured out...now I just need all of the stars to line up!

Thanks for checking me in. Back to net control. KE5ZRT Clear
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #225
KurtJan

Been a long time since Jan and I were on here. Lots happened. Daughter got married and now the camping season is almost over for us in the great north. High winds the last two days have made it interesting. So windy I think my RF was scattered

Kurt/N9ZMO and Jan/K9JNE
KurtJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #226
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtJan View Post
Been a long time since Jan and I were on here.
Welcome back.

I know the feeling and I'm supposed to be in charge around here.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #227
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Now only 3 days left until we are officially full-timers! We have sold everything we own and we are currently living out of a cooler with lawn chairs as furniture. Everything is set and ready to go!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #228
Radio
Administrator

Keep us posted as to your adventures!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #229
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

We picked out a spot at a local RV park in a far corner so we don't upset anyone with our pets and minor repairs, hamtennas, etc. We went ahead and rented a lot for a month and we move in in two days. We found a hidden expense that we hadn't considered...we were asked to provide shot records for our two dogs. We hadn't ever gotten that done. So we took them to the vet and $130 later they are now fit for public consumption, lol!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #230
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

We have been full time RVers for almost a month now. It has been a challenging month as the coach we purchased is a 1987 model and we have found numerous necessary repairs:
  • The charger converter and house batteries need to be replaced
  • The furnace is occasionally not working. I have fixed 2 separate issues with it, and now there is a third problem--most likely the circuit board. (I'm going to replace the whole furnace with a much more efficient catalytic heater--a Wave 6 should do nicely)
  • The water heater is not working (needs a new circuit board and/or gas valve) Cold showers have been invigorating
  • The roof leaked during a recent rain/snow storm and I replaced the AC seals and siliconed the windows
  • The coil spring airbags are blown and need to be replaced ($85 and a simple repair job)
  • We need a new awning--Apparently you should not extend the awning in 30mph wind--That was a greenhorn mistake!
The awning we had needed to be replaced anyhow, and I think the RV looks a little more sleek without an awning. Most of the small windows already have small awnings, I think I will put another small awning over the one window that does not have one and call it good enough.

All of these maintenance issues have prevented me from getting around to installing the 144/440 beam and rotator that I want, so I have finally, temporarilly, installed a j-pole to get me by for a little while. In spite of all of these complications, or maybe because of them, my wife and I are still thrilled and excited to be fulltimers. Call me crazy, but this may be one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Thank you all for your advice and kind words of encouragement throughout our adventures this last month.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #231
WD8QBQ

Chris, glad to hear your still enjoying. I think you have a rig with good bones and the things you are experiencing are common to any coach that has set idle for any time. All your repairs are making you a better owner as you will be familiar with all your systems. When you are done you should be trouble free for quite some time. With the modernizing, upgrading and repairing you will have a nice home for many years to come. The unfortunate thing is that the weather is fighting you, an earlier start was probably not possible for you so now you must bite the bullet.

Get set up for HF amateur radio and you won't have time to "twitter"!

WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #232
One Country Boy

Smile

Hi Folks,

I'm embarrassed at not having been on here in so long. Please don't scold me too hard.

Let me say Merry Christmas to all and I've not met several of the newer members. Hello and welcome.

I need to go back and catch up on some posts. I'm way behind. I'll be back.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #233
WD8QBQ

Exclamation

OMG, where have you been? Thought about you as I passed close by your town on the way to Destin for Thanksgiving. You have been so uninvolved here I was afraid to make contact.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #234
One Country Boy

Hi Jim,

Dog gone it, sorry I missed ya. I was probably right here. We were down in the St. Pete/Tampa area in November, but were back the week prior to Thanksgiving.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #235
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm embarrassed at not having been on here in so long. Please don't scold me too hard.

Let me say Merry Christmas to all and I've not met several of the newer members. Hello and welcome.

I need to go back and catch up on some posts. I'm way behind. I'll be back.
Jim,
That's because you spend your time on FB..........

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #236
One Country Boy

You are right Andy... Too much time on FaceBook. Would not be on there so much if I didn't have the FB App I carry around on this BlackBerry.

I'm ashamed of you for "telling on me."

Old 12-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #237
One Country Boy

Hello All,

We had one of the hottest summers in history here in Florida and the Fall Season has already set records for cold temperatures. If you don't like the weather, stick around, it will change.

My XYL was good to me as usual. I got my presents early and got them in line last night. I am so pleased and proud. A MFJ-998 Intellituner and a Ameritron ALS-600. Both are working just great. I asked Santa for the ALS-600 for some added power in the RV. I'm hopeing to make room for it in the 5er. I don't want to load it too hard. With 40 watts of drive, I'm getting about 400 watts out. Very nice pieces of equipment and have the station I've always wanted. I will have to get an antenna for the RV now that will handle the added power.

Certainly hope that everyone has a good Christmas. It's not about the toys, that's an extra. Remember the meaning of the season, and it's all for the kids.

"One Country Boy" <----- One BIG Kid

Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 AM   #238
One Country Boy

Good morning all... It warmed up to 70 degrees here yesterday and in the 50's here tonight. We're in for a warming trend with some rain coming. I mentioned to the wife tonight, if it keep this up, I'll be ready to load the 5er up and hit the road.

Let me wish everyone a Happy New Year... I hope 2012 will be a prosperous one for all our ORR Net Members. Please remember to not drink and drive and don't let a friend drink and drive.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #239
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Let me wish everyone a Happy New Year... I hope 2012 will be a prosperous one for all our ORR Net Members. Please remember to not drink and drive and don't let a friend drink and drive.
Thanks for the 2012 wishes Jim! I'd like to wish everyone a Happy, Heathy and Prosperous 2011!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #240
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Howdy from Amarillo everyone! Today's forecast is 37 degrees with winds 25-35 mph...COLD!!!! I know, I know, since I am a full-timer I should travel south, but no-can-do. I am also a workamper with a full-time government job in Amarillo. My wife and I have made many repairs to the 1987 Southwind we recently purchased: New charger converter, new house batteries, new AC gaskets, new vent free propane furnace, 10 meter vertical installed on ladder rack, dual-band j-pole installed on 10' mast with a High Sierra hitch receiver fold-over mount. We removed the two swivel captains seats from the living room, leaving only the couch which makes a lot more room! Our two dogs are getting more accustomed to RV living as well--fortunately the RV lot we live in is all grass and there is a large vacant field next to us as well.

8 weeks ago, we had zero RV experience and we have learned a lot in the last 8 weeks. I learned something new just last night--When running the tap water to prevent overnight freezing, it is important to open the grey water tank! No harm done, but if I had slept an hour later the shower basin would have overflown!

Thanks to all of you and your helpful advice! 73