Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Question Eating right out of the can...

What do you do to jazz up whatever it is that comes in a can?

Tomato soup:

Prepare per directions on can, always use milk instead of water. Serve soup in bowl, add grated cheese (whatever kind you like) and Tabasco sauce to taste.

Beans:

Fry up 2 or 3 strips of bacon with chopped onion in skillet. Add beans when bacon is done. Have mustard handy when served. Some folks go nuts with ketchup, brown sugar and all that, I just get the kind with all that already in there. After all, it's just beans...

Mushrooms:

When grilling steaks I remove the paper lable from canned mushrooms, remove lid from can. (Make sure can is not lined with plastic, some mushrooms come that way) Drain off 1/2 liquid. Add big pat of butter and worstershire sauce. Set the can in the corner of the grill while cooking steaks. Serve mushrooms over steaks.

Tell us what you do to take the ordinary out of the stuff in the can....

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

What? Nobody on this forum eats stuff out of a can? All of our camping meals are prepared from fresh ingredeints, flown in daily from the farm or sea.

Right.

And we all copy 35 wpm and built all our equipment from plans in the ARRL Handbook.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Actually, while we sometimes used ingredients out of the can, we don't usually eat that alone - exceptions being Bush's beans - which need no help besides being heated, and Hormel Chile, which gets poured on corn chips and covered in cheese and onions OR mixed into Macaroni and Cheese.

BTW, for traveling, buy the Kraft Deluxe dinner - you don't need milk and butter, all you need is water to boil the macaroni.

I did find a recipe for skillet lasagne, which is handy not having an oven - but even cutting it in 1/2 it's still almost too much food for two people.

No one but me has ever finished a bowl of my special glop which is made from cheese, salami, Ramen noodles and misc. spices. It's got enough calories to keep you warm on a winter bivouac.

We learned a fair bit about outdoor gourmet cooking this trip, I even made a really nice pork tenderloin with a cabernet reduction sauce one night. Swiss steak is good but takes a lot of gas to cook over two hours.

I like sausages - Johnsonvilles are the best Bratwurst, but I'll eat almost anything that is not too pasty - like a good stout polish, smoked, kielbasa all are good for me. Pair that with beans and some decent bread, a salad and I'm a happy camper.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

No, I never eat anything out of a can alone unless it's a bowl of soup for a mid-winter snack. The reason I started this thread is to get a sampling of easy sides (like beans) that would go well with burgers, steaks or whatever. I tend to pay so much attention to what's on the grill I have little time for anything else. Hence, stuff in cans.

I have always held the theory that almost anything can be made edible if you put enough Velveeta Cheese on it.

Someday I'll post my beer-brats recipe. Wow, that's good!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
One Country Boy

There you go with those mushrooms again Radio. As my kids used to say, "Yuk". They're a waste of time. Mostly air anyway. Have you seen what they grow those things in ? Sorry, I just had to mention that. We spread it around our plants, really makes 'em grow. Just not big on mushrooms I guess, myself nor the XYL.

Manual mentioned "Bush's Baked Beans". Now there's a treat. My wife adds diced onions (vidalia when available) and bell peppers. She puts 'em in a boiler and heats until onions and bell peppers are slightly cooked. Makes 'em extra goooood. Now if we have company coming or a cookout, we might get a couple of cans. Mix in the diced onions (vidalia when available) and bell peppers. Maybe a little extra mustard and ketsup mixed in. Spread this out in an aluminum disposable tray. Lay a few strips of bacon on top of the beans and place in the oven until the bacon is done and a slight crust appears over the top of the beans. MmmmmMmmmm .. Gooooood.... That is some good stuff. Goes good with burgers, dawgs or at fish fries. We DO NOT add MUSHROOMS !

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
KC1BUD

Default Shrooms

Radio and Jim,

I always say you might as well eat mushrooms, because some day they might be eating you.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Radio and Jim,

I always say you might as well eat mushrooms, because some day they might be eating you.
You might like the worms, then. Fry 'em up like bacon.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Radio and Jim,

Hi Daniel,

That's a good lookin' prospective ham you have there in your QRZ photo. Good story about your call sign as well. Nice to meet you.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Well, I am camping this labor day weekend and I showed the wife the mushroom recipe...I am going to try that...I usually make fresh mushrooms, but will give this a try...I feel sorry for those that can not stand them beacuse of what they are grown in...have you seen what pigs and cows eat....
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mp View Post
Well, I am camping this labor day weekend and I showed the wife the mushroom recipe...I am going to try that...I usually make fresh mushrooms, but will give this a try...I feel sorry for those that can not stand them beacuse of what they are grown in...have you seen what pigs and cows eat....
Hi Mark,
It really doesn't bother me that they are grown in, shall we say "compost". I've just never had a taste for them. I do eat them occassionally on pizza. Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend camping. We're going to hang near home and see what Gustav's plans are.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Yeah, you guys down south have really been getting hit bad with the rain...we have not had rain in over 3 weeks up in PA....even FAY may just be a drizzle here...everyone have a great holiday camping
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
KC1BUD

How about meatballs, egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Hi Daniel,

That's a good lookin' prospective ham you have there in your QRZ photo. Good story about your call sign as well. Nice to meet you.

Thank you, that is the youngest of 4 grandkids. He is will be 3 in September. Three grandsons and one granddaughter. Ages 6,4,3 and 11 respectively.

Dan
Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
Radio
Administrator

Thought I'd drag up this old thread again to see what ideas are out there.

I used to like to jazz up ordinary chicken noodle soup with a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Not bad. The other day I dashed some Old Bay Seasoning in there and that helped a lot.

Tuna salad: 1 can tuna, drained; mayonnaise, pickle relish and then Old Bay Seasoning and Texas Pete or Tabasco.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Wow, an eight-year-old thread.

My Dad, a Navy lifer (Chief Radioman), sang even worse than I do, but I learned this from him:

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I live in a garbage can.
I eat my spinach right out of the can,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man.

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I hug all the girls I can;
I like to go swimmin' with bowlegged women,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man.

and about a gazillion more verses.

Me, I don't understand why anyone would eat spinach at all. But Wade puts it in soup, if I recall, and I guess he must eat the stuff too.

Mushrooms, on the other hand, yum. But avoid Amanita phalloides (the death cap) and Amanita virosa (destroying angel). But Amanita rubescens (the blusher) is said to be safe when cooked, and quite delicious. Thanks, I'll pass -- identification is too difficult. I'll enjoy the ones from the grocery store.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
Radio
Administrator

I take mushrooms in a jar and mushrooms in a small can. The ones in the jar are for pizza, omelets and other stuff and so must be resealed. The ones in the can go with steak as detailed above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steak mushrooms.jpg (88.0 KB, 16 views)

Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Someone ask "Doesn't anybody eat out of cans any more?" (Ok so I changed it a bit)

Though I do have a few cans of this or that lying about.. The processors use some rather nasty stuff when they can them, Assorted preservatives, High Fructose Corn Syurp, Tons of SALT and other things I really would rather not consume.

Thus, I go fresh as much as possible.

However some days.... I just flat do not feel like cooking.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

The thread title says "Eating right out of the can." But what if i've been eating wrong out of the can? How can I know I'm doing it right?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
However some days.... I just flat do not feel like cooking.
Some days, not. And sometimes I'm too busy with the steaks to mess around much with beans or what not, especially since BBQ style beans aren't that bad really coming right out of the can.

My needs are to stock the camper a little at a time before a trip, and save whatever is left for the next trip. So there are cans. Jars. So on. Thus this thread about jazzing up stuff right out of the can to make things more palatable.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #20
Cutter46

I am seeing a lot about spinach and mushrooms. 2 of my favorite things. Just put both of them and some grated cheddar cheese in a 3 egg omlet and you have a great breakfast. Eggs are kind of in their own natural can.
Cutter46 is offline   Reply With Quote