Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT
Thumbs up Amateur Radio and Camping Applications for Motorola Droid Phones

I don’t intend to portray myself as a Motorola Droid salesman, and I don’t intend to compare the Droid to the iPhones at all. I certainly do not intend to start any debate over such trivial matters. However, I do own a Droid, and I have found many useful applications that are designed for the Droid that are related to Amateur Radio and camping, and I thought I would share them. Maybe someone can share some useful applications designed for the lesser inferior and unreliable iPhone.

Camp & RV, by AllStays, $3.99
www.allstays.com/apps
Use Maps or offline lookup to find: 18,000 campgrounds in USA/Canada: KOA, Private, State, National, BLM, Nat Forrest, Army Corps, Military FamCamps. 14,000 camping extras: Wal-Mart Parking Reports, Rest Areas, Truck Stops, Costco, Sam’s Club, Outdoor Supplies (Camping World, REI, Cabelas, Gander, Dicks, Bass Pro) RV Dealers, Low Clearances

Compass Pro, by James N, FREE
www.mob4.com
Compass Pro will help you determine the direction. You can use it for all your outdoor activities whether you are flying, sailing, traveling or camping. It comes with 10 different cool themes for a compass like Jack Sparrow theme, SpongeBob theme, etc. Compass Pro is a must have application for people doing outdoor activities.

Amateur Radio Call Log, by APK Labs, FREE
www.apklabs.com
Amateur Radio Call Log is a basic ham radio logging app for An droid 1.5 and above. It stores Date, Time, Station, Freq, Mode, RST, and additional comments. Also has the ability to easily look-up callsign information from the FCC database.

UTC Time (beta), by bjg222, FREE
www.bjg222.com
Simple, fast way to check current UTC/Zulu time. App syncs with internet time servers. Includes widget. Useful for pilots or aviation industry!

Scanner Buddy, by Karlan Mitchell, FREE
www.3dstoneage.com
Turn your phone into a Police Radio Scanner! Supports many major US/International cities! Additionally Fire & other public services.

Ham Radio Study, by Tango 11, FREE
www.tango11.com
Prepare for Amateur Radio examinations. Includes full question pools: Technician (effective till 2/30/2010), General (effective till 2/30/2011), Extra (effective till 6/30/2012). Asks you questions, remembers which questions you’re having trouble with. Does not yet include images, which is mostly an issue for Extra.

Ham, by Smerty Software, Free
www.smerty.org
Open source Ham Radio App for Android. View current solar data and calculated band conditions. 1.3 very minimal QRZ.com callsign lookups.

HamSatDroid, by jcrq, FREE
www.sites.google.com/site.hamsatdroid
Amateur radio satellite pass prediction. Home location’s maidenhead grid shown on pass and map views.

EchoLink, by Synergenics, LLC, FREE
www.groups.google.com/group/echolink-android
This app is for licensed Amateur Radio operators only. See www.echolink.org for more information. EchoLink for Android provides access to the EchoLink network from your Android device. You can use this app to connect to the EchoLink system from almost anywhere, using either a Wi-Fi or cellular (3G) connection.

Morse Droid, by UtopicSoft, FREE
www.utopicsoft.com/android.php?pkgid=com.twistandroid.morsedroid
*NEW SOUND added! This application converts text into Morse code, and Morse code to text, and vibrates this code.

Amateur Radio Callsign DB, by Infantry Company, FREE
www.infantrycompany.com
This app allows you to quickly and easily lookup license data for U.S. amateur radio callsigns. Search by callsign or last name.

Signals, by APK Labs, FREE
www.apklabs.com
“Signals” provides a quick and simple reference to various communications signals, such as 10/11 codes, Morse Code, Phonetic Alphabet, Police Codes, Q-Signals, and more. Great for police scanners and ham radio enthusiasts.

...and that's my
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, droid, echolink, satellite, study