Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
kd2iat

Default Old RVer, new ham, old forum guy

Hi,

I'm a long time RVer and camper. But I just got my Tech ticket a couple of months ago. I've been promising myself that since I was a teen. Anyway, I'm a moderately proficient RV tech, emergency vehicle upfitter and radio installer, long time EMT and retired dispatcher out Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 911.

I was delighted to find a forum that caters to both RV's and ham radio.
kd2iat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Welcome aboard. Always good to greet people who are likely to know stuff I don't know.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2iat View Post
Hi,

We are delighted to have you on board! Jump in and join the fun!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Anyway, I'm a moderately proficient RV tech, emergency vehicle upfitter and radio installer, long time EMT and retired dispatcher out Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 911.
Well.. I have a few things to say to you:

Congratulations on getting your license.... Now do not do what I did
(I remained Tec,then Tec+ for 28 years before I upgraded to Gen then Extra)

Second: Upgrade

Third: You sir.. Are a very good person..We need more like you (People who care about others) and less of the kind who care only about themselves.

I was an Emergency (Police) Dispatcher for 25 years, now retired,,My darling Daughter's (A special Ed Teacher) Godfather dispatched Fire and EMS.

It will be interesting to see what my Grandson becomes in 20 years or so.

Don't know why I waited so long to upgrade to Extra.. Test was easy (Actually I do know.. I only copy about 10WPM max on morse code).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

I was an Advanced for years. Was never a Novice or General. Got both Tech and Advanced the hard way at the FCC office in Atlanta. The only FCC administered test I ever failed was the 5 wpm Morse Code. And since I have a 1st Class General Radiotelephone I have taken about all of them, the hard way.

Then the code went away and I thought I would just stay an Advanced just to spite the FCC. But I realized I could be of more value to the ham radio community locally as an Extra so I downloaded the questions and took the test.

Funny, how the world changed between when I took the Advanced test and the Extra.

I did decide to keep the old school Advanced call, just so that folks would know a bit about the road I took to get here.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
The only FCC administered test I ever failed was the 5 wpm Morse Code.
Me, I failed the 20 wpm at least three times, and I think it was four, at the Dallas FCC office. Finally, in 1982, I passed it by the skin of my teeth. So I know how you felt. Before that, I was a Novice from 1957 to 1958, a Tech from 1958 to 1980, and Advanced from 1980 to 1982. I've been everything except a General.

(No, that doesn't mean I've been a Lieutenant Colonel or such.)

Ex KN4SCK, K4SCK, N5DRU, KD5BH. Also first phone, P1-7-2170, Miami FCC office in 1958.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
N8CXX

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a long time RVer and camper. But I just got my Tech ticket a couple of months ago.
Welcome to the site. Got any question? Just ask as there are quite a few knowledgeable folks on here that will help you out.

I started at Novice then to General. Failed the extra code test and ended with Advanced. 30 days later I passed the Extra tests. I am considered "noise pollution" to most as I'm a contester.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a long time RVer and camper. But I just got my Tech ticket a couple of months ago. I've been promising myself that since I was a teen. Anyway, I'm a moderately proficient RV tech, emergency vehicle upfitter and radio installer, long time EMT and retired dispatcher out Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 911.

Ah.. now if you were a single woman I'd be in love

Retired Police Dispatcher,, Long term (Going on half a century) Ham.. Old Farm boy and thus jack of many trades.. Including .. When it comes to working on and RV my tool box is the limiting factor..(And motovation of course Some jobs I'd rather pay for).

Welcome to the forum..Some good folks here.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
dreed

Just joined the forum. Neat that's is ham radio and rv. I've had a general ticket for 60 years, 1st phone for 55 years. Very inactive though. I use 2 meters once or twice a year when I go to Quartzfest. I haven't been on hf for 50 years! Last rig was a globe 300. How the time flies. Recently bought a elecraft kx-3 and I am activity trying to learn how to use it. I am from the peak the grid and dip the plate era! This is tough!
Dave
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

dreed,

Welcome aboard!

Jump right in and join the fun, we are the "only place on the net where ham radio and rv camping are served up on the same plate"

Old 09-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
electricflyer

Welcome to the forum. These guys will help you with anything you don't understand about ham radio. Congratulations on being a new ham. Don't stop with being a Tech. Get right on it and study for General and Extra. I got my tech in 1992 and got my General after the code requirement was dropped and got my Extra the month after the General. Should have got my ticket back in 1962 when I studied the Handbook and learned code but just got married and lost interest but continued with RC airplanes instead. Lots of good uses for a ham license. I am a VE here in the Atlanta area and assist in license classes and also in ARES and am a volunteer ham operator at a nearby hospital. In fact will be there today for the monthly Hospital Net (first Sunday of every month) at 3:00pm EDT on 7.185 if anyone can hear us with the lousy propagation.

Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote