Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default A Muffler for the RV clock

You don't notice it until you are out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, trying to enjoy the thundering silence of God's creation (the kind of nighttime experience we were designed to have) and then you notice it,

TICK, TICK, TICK...

The clock that came with your RV is amazingly loud!

So I made a muffler for mine.

Using a piece of open cell foam about 1 inch thick, I cut it so it would fit around the little quartz clockwork and not be visible by protruding beyond the oval shape of the clock face.

I found the clock wouldn't fit back into it's wall bracket with the foam in place, so I cut a slit from the outside edge to the middle of my foam, then hung the clock as normal, then packed my foam in around the clock movement.

Through my unscientific measurement (I listened to it) it seems to be a bit quieter now. (For no cost and 5 minutes of my time)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0829radio-junk0001.JPG (489.9 KB, 44 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

NO clock came with My RV.. I do, however have several clocks

One mechanical analog I can only hear if I'm seated in the ham shack (or standing in it) it's that quiet

Two electroinc (Local date/time and local/UTC time)
One "Atomic" clock in the galley area (Radio set by WWV)
One smaller "Atomic" on wife's side of bed, plus a regular digital on my side, Several devices with built in clocks (Radio, DVD recorder etc) 2 computers, plus two digital video recorders, watch (Digital) and more.

Only the one goes "Tick"
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Geeeez! No wonder your clocks are noisy, they only go Tick, Tick, Tick. They're supposed to go Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. You guys need to get them checked out.
73!!!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Well, I have 1 Grandfather clock, 2 wall clocks, 2 mantel clocks, 1 Coo-Coo clock.......all antiques and "tick & gong" all day/night long. I finally just gave up and only clock I wind now is the Grandfather, which has a nice mellow tone. Course........if you go to my son's house, he has 54 Antique wall clocks, 5 Grandfather's, 3 Coo-Coo clocks and 8 Mantel clocks........talk about noisy at the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and hour marks !! Darn near shakes the house. He gripes too, as when he's gone on fires (Capt for State Forestry), no one will wind them, heh.........I wonder why??? Did I mention he collect clocks?? Also, he repairs them, as he's found some real good ones that folks couldnt or wouldnt get repaired and got them for just a few $$$. One he found he paid $25 for it, rebuilt it (wooden gear broken;made his own) and now the clock is worth over $750!! He sells on EBay also. He's been gone so much this past month on fires here in the state, that he hasnt gotten to play with his toys, heh....

JOhn
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote