Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Smile Indian Springs SP, GA, w/pics

About the park:

Indian Springs is one of the oldest State Parks in the nation. The grounds are well developed, unlike more undeveloped parks like neighboring High Falls where the rustic scenic beauty of the falls is the attraction, Indian Springs boasts natural beauty and a wonderful collection of Civilian Conservation Corps architecture built back in the 1930’s.

The spring itself is housed now in one of these unmistakable CCC buildings. The Creek Indians used the sulfur smelling water for medicinal purposes, and visitors are welcome to take home a gallon or two to cure whatever might ail them. Bring your own jugs.

We arrived about 1:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon and thanks to having reservations got the last available space. All 88 campsites in the RV/tenting area were taken. By Sunday noon 5 other rigs and we had the whole place to ourselves. But the retreating herds left the park absolutely spotlessly clean.

About our stay:

Check in time is 1:00, but it seems everybody got there ahead of us! That’s OK, we took the last space we could fit into and that was the first space you come to as you enter Area 2. We were having friends over for lunch during our stay and that made our site easy to find. It seems the sites were laid out by a non-RVer, since to get into any one of them you had to back to the right instead of the left. All the sites were just a little off level, but not too bad. And they were all plenty big and newly refurbished with table, lantern post, plenty of good electric, water and cable TV. The bathhouses were modern and very clean. In spite of the drought the lake was at full pool and delighted the fishermen.

Tried out the Dutch Oven for the first time and cranked out a respectable peach cobbler served up with ice cream. Having abandoned all hope of finding a portable gas grill to my liking we have reverted to charcoal in a Weber Smokey Joe. Both steaks and hamburgers turned out great.

Strung up the homemade 10-15-20m dipole and made a few contacts. At 20 ft of the ground I thought San Paulos, Brazil was pretty good DX.

After the weekend crowd left, the serenity and solitude was refreshing. Freight trains roll through the town of Flovilla pretty regular and their melancholy note can be heard throughout the park. Not bothersome, but sort of romantic. A singular woodpecker announces his carpentry work. In the evenings an owl or two sings bass along with the melody provided by crickets and frogs.

Finally broke down and bought a digital camera. A 10 mp Fugi with aperture and shutter speed control. Attached are results of my first outing with the new toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpringHouse.jpg (92.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg GoneFishing.jpg (113.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Dock.jpg (96.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Solitude.jpg (103.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg BoatsSunset.jpg (142.4 KB, 38 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Great pics and nice park Wade. The new camera works great. Would have been fun to see the dipole and Brazil is good DX for an NVIS antenna. What band did you get Brazil on? Going up to NH Thursday to winterize and close up my brothers camper and mine. So no more camping till next spring.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
What band did you get Brazil on? Going up to NH Thursday to winterize and close up my brothers camper and mine.
Worked him on 15m.

Winterize? What's that?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

so is the spring in the building with the bars or is that where you stayed??

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
so is the spring in the building with the bars or is that where you stayed??
No. That's where they keep unruly children who continually throw wet, green crap in the fire and people who do not pick up after their dogs.

The building withthe bars is the spring house. They have one door open during park hours. The spring enters the building and dumps into a round basin made of stone. A clear plexiglass "bubble" covers the basin so people do not contaminate the spring. (use your imagination) The bubble is ugly IMHO so I chose not to include it in my picture and let peoples imaginations deal with the incarcerated look and feel of the spring house.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
bnmcgraw

Talking

Good story and GREAT pix! Wish we were closer to the site.

Still it's good not to have to give up camping due to the weather. That's why we left Iowa to come to Texas. ;-)
bnmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote