Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
N3LYT

Default antenna suggestions

Here is my dilemma screwdriver antenna or a antenna auto tuner? I would like some thing I could use most any where I guess a screwdriver set up would cover most every thing attached to the camper but do you all think an auto tuner would work fine with a 2.5 meter tall stick? That would be some thing I could tie down to the camper when not in use. I intend to use what ever with a 706G as that will be my portable unit and it has no tuner so one way or another I need some thing to tune up with.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Of the two, "I" will recommend the screwdriver.
On a tilt-over mount if you have to, I use a "LiL Tarheal II" on the pick-up which isn't very tall to begin with (6-80 meters) with an MFJ "memory-box" (don't remember the model #) which works fine with my 857, I also use the out-board meter function of the radio to monitor reflected power on xmit and can correct for band width on the MFJ box "ON THE FLY" so to speak.
Tell us more about your camper and the way you like to camp and someone here will have ideas which may or may not appeal to you.
73, John
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
N3LYT

Ok I have a 18' trailer do a good part of camping with out the comfort of a camp ground. Pretty well set up with power small gen set to recharge with, a modern 45 amp converter/charger. My IC 706 is usually powered with a 35 amp gelcell that I recharge with the camper charger. I have no problem with doing antennas trees or what ever here is a picture of my 10,12,and 15 meter rotatable dipole on it's fiberglass pole at 25' about a 20 min. project to get on the air. This is why I'm sort of leaning towards the tuner. I have X dollars to spend so I'm looking for the best bang of the buck Looking at spending no more then $450
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipole.jpg (23.4 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
W5DOK
Old Member

I use a Tarheel 200 on the motor home and it works better than I ever expected. I also have a Comet CHA250-B that I use when I have more time and room to set up. Actually the Comet only takes 5 minutes to set up, but I'm lazy. It works well on all bands without a tuner or radials.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Below is a link to the "EAGLE ONE" ant, the full package uses a balun and tuner, I have never owned one but have worked Steve and several other people who were using them, good sig's and easy set-up.
Met Steve at the Evansville Hamfest abt 3 years ago and got to play with one and see how they set-up =, might be an option for you.

http://www.w8afx.com/

73, John
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
N3LYT

Thanks guys for all the good info I decided to go with fiberglass sticks I don't mind changing the sticks with each band and they'll do double duty on the pickup. I'll make a mount for the camper to except the 3/8 antenna fitting I'm thinking a hinged mount on the bumper to get the sticks above the camper roof (it's an aluminum roof so I have some bonding to do). I did buy two 20 meter ones to go on my dipole mount I'll just use the two as a dipole when I'm parked that will give me 4 bands 10,12,15 and 20. I also got an LDG auto tuner, the 706 does not have a tuner and my twist-omatic MFJ tuner is bigger then the radio. I'll post some pictures when I get it all together 73's, Tim
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I would suggest a screwdriver. It will work well when tuned manually, and at some later time you may be able to get an automatic tuner that will control the screwdriver and tune it automatically. Here's one that works with an Icom 7000 and You might inquire whether it works with the very similar 706IIg. http://www.betterrf.com/7000-screwdriver.html
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
N3LYT

Thanks I did give a lot of thought to the screw drive antenna I'm fairly bad about driving under things and I think I would rather total a $20 stick then a $400 antenna driving the truck into the garage. I also have to deal with 80 acres of land and trees. My friend, W1IMD is an RF consultant and he also suggested the screw driver rig but also said the coil needs to be above the roof to really work well so by the time I added the hight of the 4X4 the stinger would be some where in the 11' range. I ended up with a LDG auto tuner that interfaces with the IC 706MK2G so with a 1:1 I can do a long wire too if needed. The drill was dual purpose the truck and the camper the camper is fine because it would stay put and as long as I remembered to take them off when it was time to go home they would last more then a day but eventually I can see my self driving into the garage with the antennas in place.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Sounds as if you've thought it out pretty thoroughly!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

What I use.. Long wires, assorted lengths, either tossed over tree limbs (on the far end) or a painter's pole (18 feet or so)

Fed with a Kenwood Auto Tuner (KAT-1) Marine grade, on the back of the house on wheels.

What I wish I had sometimes is a screwdriver.

But when parked, .. long term.. (over one night) the long wire works great.

Best suggestion: OPTIONS.. (They are, after all good things) that is multiple antennas with the proper coax switch, The long wire I use and a screwdriver or tarheel or some other type.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
N3LYT

Well here it is just add antennas a ham shack in a box 160m to 432cm. The connector is a bit of over kill (50 amps) but it interfaces with my 35 amp gel cell and the camper battery. The gel cell plugs into the the camper battery for charging and the radio plugs into the camper battery with an extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ham shack in a box.jpg (49.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg all together.jpg (43.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Radio
Administrator

That works!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
WD8QBQ

Smile

Nice rig, should work fine.
Haming for me is all done when parked, no fear of unsafe driving and bashing the antenna and the best time seems to be at night. No night driving for me.
I like the Tarheel screwdriver and the others too, Scorpion and HI-Q. Tarheel has real good customer service and will talk on the phone as long and often as you like and is not as expensive as the other two. When I installed the antenna I did ot know if it would work well at all and went for cheap. It works so well I am somewhat sorry I did not get a Scorpion or HI-Q. They in fact may not be any better than the Tarheel on the bands I am now capable of, but they offer 160M.
Other antennas I have on a want list are Portable Hex beam and the 3805er receiving loop by W8WWV, I also considered a ZEP but gave it up.
I carry wire and the sling shot launcher. Most parks frown on the procedure.
I did not include any links as the hunt by you will be part of the fun and in the process you will undoubtedly be sidetracked to many other antenna ideas.
Whatever you do I recommend doing it well. Your results will be worth the effort.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Nice rig, should work fine.
Haming for me is all done when parked, no fear of unsafe driving and bashing the antenna and the best time seems to be at night. No night driving for me.
I like the Tarheel screwdriver and the others too, Scorpion and HI-Q. Tarheel has real good customer service and will talk on the phone as long and often as you like and is not as expensive as the other two. When I installed the antenna I did ot know if it would work well at all and went for cheap. It works so well I am somewhat sorry I did not get a Scorpion or HI-Q. They in fact may not be any better than the Tarheel on the bands I am now capable of, but they offer 160M.
Other antennas I have on a want list are Portable Hex beam and the 3805er receiving loop by W8WWV, I also considered a ZEP but gave it up.
I carry wire and the sling shot launcher. Most parks frown on the procedure.
I did not include any links as the hunt by you will be part of the fun and in the process you will undoubtedly be sidetracked to many other antenna ideas.
Whatever you do I recommend doing it well. Your results will be worth the effort.

JIM
I agree I try to use resonate antennas as much as possible. I did receive 3 fiberglass antennas yesterday and tuned the 10 meter one and was very impressed with how broad banded it was. It is a Workman antenna and the other two are Jetsteam (they look exactly the same to me) Nicely made I would recommend them. At some point this summer I'm heard to Canada to my friends for a week or two so I'll get to try many combinations of antennas it's all good fun. Guess I get to see what's up with our repeater this morning my guess is a lack of power on the mountain but it's a good day to drive up the hill. 73's Tim (N3LYT)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

+Speaking of long wires up in trees.....

For some time now I have had the plans for a couple of different potato guns (Pneumatic Antenna Launchers) on my hard drives.. Alas, never quite gout the old round-2-it so I have not yet made one.. IT's on my list of things to do.

At Dayton this year (NO I did not go) there was a company that was selling them, already made, Google the term (Penumatic Launcher) and you may find 'em.

(Gordon West and Bob Heil went, took cameras and put the footage on Ham Nation)

BTW URL for Ham Nation http://www.twit.tv/hn (This Week In Technology) currently airs 9pm eastern TUESDAY (That's tonight folks) www.twit.tv/irc is the chat room while they are on the air (Even if Bob says it backwards).

Gordon's "Screen prescense" is not bad.. Same for George Thomas of www.AmateurLogic.TV Bob and the others however... Well... ....
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
N3LYT

We, the MWARC gave one away last year as a door prize they are neat a bit big for my small camper but great if you have the room. That will get them up in the trees! I have only used a sling shot but he guns are more fun and easier to find the projectile after the fact.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
N3LYT

Can't tell you how glad I am that I decided on the fiberglass sticks driven into the garage twice with the antenna up the stick just bends over against the spring so I back up a bit and take them off and try again. Worked a PY on 10 today at the gravel pit waiting for a load of loam.