Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Dizzy-Dick

Default Altering a Telescope

I have a 16" Meade dobsonian telescope, as I have said in previous posts. The problem I have since I no longer have a pick-up truck with a weather proof cap to hall it around, I leave it sitting at home.

It is a full tube type dob. I was thinking about altering it to a truss type. My thinking is to make the trusses and mount them to the existing tube. Then cut away the center section of the tube. This should keep the alignment and the focal distance. Then, I would need to make some alterations to the base. Maybe making the supports easily removable and spliting the bases. I am not sure if or exactly how I will do all this. I want it to be able to fit in my pass through compatment in the MH or in the rear of the Jeep Liberty.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions.

Thanks and 73's
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

How about one of those inexpensive cargo trailers?

That would solve the problem of toting the 'scope and no doubt come in handy for all sorts of other projects. If I were required to live my life without a truck, I would definitely have to have a cargo trailer.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Dizzy-Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
How about one of those inexpensive cargo trailers?

That would solve the problem of toting the 'scope and no doubt come in handy for all sorts of other projects. If I were required to live my life without a truck, I would definitely have to have a cargo trailer.
Yes, I have considered that, but by the time you purchase a cargo trailer that is weather tight and large enough for the Jeep Liberty to fit into, the total weight (and cost) gets pretty high. Maybe not for a rich man like you (hi hi). Being that I am going on 67 years old and don't have any retirement from anyone (except S.S.) and the little I put together on my own, I have to pinch my pennies.

If I sell my home and property and go full time with a larger motorhome that has a larger hitch than the 5000 lb. hitch that my Class-C has, I will opt for the larger cargo trailer. Even then, it would be nice to have the big scope break down small enough to put in the Jeep to get places the MH will not go.

I am going to lay the scope out in one of my CAD programs and see what it looks like and what options I have to convert it to a truss design. The last thing I want to do is ruin it. I guess I could sell it and purchace a truss design telescope.

73's and thanks for the suggestion,
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy-Dick View Post
Yes, I have considered that, but by the time you purchase a cargo trailer that is weather tight and large enough for the Jeep Liberty to fit into, the total weight (and cost) gets pretty high.

<snip>

I guess I could sell it and purchace a truss design telescope.
Oh. I wasn't planning on stuffing a vehicle in there, too. Just the telescope. (and maybe a riding lawn mower or a washing machine as the need arose.)

But I think you are right, it may be cheaper/easier to find a telescope to fit the space you have than to make more space available.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Dizzy-Dick

I have sketched up my first thoughts on altering my scope. I just stuck 2" x 2" x 1/4" wall square aluminum tubing onto the the scope and cut out the middle. Also, cut out a section on the lower part to use as hand holds when moving the indivedule pieces around.

I have not donw any flex calculations but if I find that it would fles when tilted to point near the horizon, I would have to replace the four straight pieces with smaller diagonal pieces to help support the top part.

Below, if I can get the picture to attach, is my first sketch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redesign-1a.JPG (29.5 KB, 21 views)