Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default A&E (Dometic) awning

I've had my Class A for almost a year now, but today is the first time I've ever deployed the big awning.

I had no idea how to operate it, so I Googled it and eventually found the manual on the Dometic web site. That should have made it easy, right?

After reading the rather poorly written manual I still couldn't do it, so I dug out the stepladder and examined the mechanisms at the top. Eventually I figured it all out, and the awning is now deployed. Naturally it dumped about 5000 gallons of water on me as it came down.

Now I've got until Sunday morning to figure out how to stow it. Should be a piece of cake ...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There are basically 2 kinds of awnings, one with options

power and manual (With options)

Most all power awnings deploy the same way.... Push the button, Retract the same too (push button or high wind)

Manual ... every one I have seen works the same way even to the options. Said options are

1: Center support, they all work the same way too
2: De-flappers, Likewise.

I have helped several people who were new to the concept put out an awning, some with, some w/o center support rib, all worked exactly the same, many different makers and models.

Thus, most anyone parked nearby with something that looks close, can help you.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Thus, most anyone parked nearby with something that looks close, can help you.
That's good, anyway; however, there's nobody nearby. I'm in Matthews NC for The Greatest Camp On Earth -- North America's largest annual Judo training camp, of which I'm a minor director -- and set up in a corner of the parking lot. I'm the only RV here, although there will likely be a few small campers in a day or two. Wonder of wonders, the building I'm next to has a 30 ampere RV power receptacle on the outside corner wall! But there was no other RVer from whom to seek assistance.

The Camp venue this year is a large country church, and its back parking lot is not only the quietest place I've ever slept in in the motor home, but also the quietest place I've slept in at all in at least a decade. Really nice! No water or sewer hookup, but my tanks will easily last through the end of Camp on Saturday evening. Then I'll head for Tallahassee, where I have a dental appt on the 27th and a medical appt on the 28th. There's a Flying J in the first leg of that trip, 37 miles away.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Camp was great -- always is. Now I'm in Tallahassee, in a shopping center parking lot at the moment. Dental and Medical appointments went well, but I've gotta be in town on July 12th for additional medical.

Washing tons of laundry in the laundromat here in the strip mall. I'm parked fairly near a Tallahassee Public Library branch, and getting WiFi from the library. 8 megs down, 4 megs up -- fastest WiFi I've ever had in the motor home since going fulltime.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
WD8QBQ

Smile

Wondering, are you in Buck Lake area on rt 90. We usually stay at Tallahassee RV park down the road from there towards I-10. Our daughter just graduated from FSU and will be moving to Winter Park, FL in 2 wks. We will be passing through around Thanksgiving and look you up if you are around.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Actually, at the moment I'm on the NW corner of Apalachee Parkway and Capital Circle NE, dry-camped in the big parking lot. Who knows where I'll be tomorrow? At Thanksgiving I definitely plan to be in Dallas TX.

I suppose FSU is OK, but I'm *ahem* a Gator --