Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default No more Wrong Way Wineguard

Should have thought of this long ago.

In our upcoming trip to Dauphin Island, there will be no cable TV. There are TV stations in Mobile, Pensacola, Gulfport/Biloxi.

Now the problem for me has always been co-relating the Wineguard inside knob pointer with the real world. First, the pointer is there simply to line up the antenna so it can be lowered. It doesn't even point in the same direction as the antenna, it's 90 deg. off. Second, every time you camp the trailer is in a different orientation to the real world compass points.

The addition of the Wingman accessory makes the antenna even more directional and more important to know which way you are pointed.

Solution: I made four labels, "Awning" "Hitch" "Slide Room" and "Bumper" to describe which way the antenna was pointing relative to the trailer and taped them to the ceiling around the pointer knob. I got out and visually checked each point before applying my stickers.

Now I just step outside with a compass (and map, if needed) and a sticky note. In this case lets say Mobile is North, and in relation to the trailer that's between the hitch and the slide room. Jot that down on sticky note. Then Pensacola (East) would fall between the hitch and the awning. Jot that down. Gulfport would be West, between the Slide Room and the bumper.

With the sticky in place on the wall near the antenna, I now have no problem pointing the antenna at the desired station.

Using the TV's "Add Search" function, I can add stations from each city without loosing the others.

Why didn't I think of that before?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote