Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
W7PSK

Washington State its only $5 above your normal fees. I have not done it yet. But been thinking about it.

More is the hassle because you have to fill the form and take 2 copies of your Ham License to the License office down town. Then once they give blessings and give you a temp to paste to your window, you take the whole pile and mail it into Olympia and await your new plates.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
One Country Boy

In Florida we used to have to pay a dollar or maybe $2 extra. Now days it's like a special order or vanity tag. I have one and run it on the motor home but not sure I'll order another.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
SoCalRVer

Once you register and get your FRN, is it possible to use a P.O.Box and not have your residence listed on the FCC site? Or once it's listed it's always their on their site or archives?
SoCalRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

In order to have a US ham license, you need a US mailing address. It is unnecessary to use a street address even when first getting a license. I've used a POB for my ham license for most of the last five-and-a-half decades. In the distant past, when operator and station licenses were separate, you needed a street address on the station license. Nowadays you don't need a street address and don't even have to be a citizen.

I don't think the FCC keeps much of an archive, but of course every address you've used will be in the Callbook for those years (no longer published) and in such things as the QRZ CDs or the Ham Call CDs for those years. I think both of those are still published, and many hams keep back issues.

The reason I don't think FCC keeps much of an archive is that they have no record of my first license (issued in July 1957), so even QCWA thinks I'm a newcomer, a greenhorn first licensed in 1958, 'cuz that's the first Callbook I appeared in.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Under the Michigan law however if you opt for the Ham Callsign plate there cost is very low (compared to regular vaniety plates) and is only charged when a new plate is pressed.

HOWEVER, your name and address are given both to the county sheriff and to the director of the Mnichigan State Police and the call-sign plate application includes an aggrement to provide emergency communications should you be called upon.

Actually heppened to me one time. (I'm 62 ytears old got licenesed at 16)( spent the night in a park next to a bunch of aircraft parts.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
Radio
Administrator

And that's that.

Tomorrow the ham radio tag comes off the truck and goes up on the wall in the shack. A radio callsign has been following me around from back there for better than 20 years.

No more.

I can save $350 over the next ten years without running the plates. That's enough to pick up something really nice at a ham fest.

Getting the new tag required an emissions test, lots of money, and all had to be done today after work and before 5:00 pm as tomorrow is my birthday and they fine you for being late on the tags. So I'm already copping an attitude.

The final straw was the lady asked for a copy of my ham license, which I did not have with me. So I said, "Nevermind, give me a regular plate and my $35 back." And she did.

I guess there is some advantage to NOT advertising your call. And the plate will look great on the hamshack wall. If I pull the one off the front I can increase airflow to the tranny cooler.

We came a long way from no $20 plate fee to $20 plus $35 status tag fee. That's a $55 swing. Just can't do that. ($20 would be reasonable) And the contract between be and the State of Georgia where they can use my vehicle and radio equipment in case of emergency, in exchange for a free radio tag, is dissolved.

But the taxes on the trailer and truck are good for another year.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
N3LYT

I agree that is ridicules great revenue for the state but how about a break for the hams that support ARES for starters and weather watches or the ever present communications for public events? I can understand the one time printing it does require a certain amount of labor to get it printed instead of a numerical run but the tag stays with the car/truck for the life of the tag it’s just a number. I agree with a fee for a plain vanity tag “cntdrv55” “pb4ulv” it is what it is a vanity tag but hams work for the state free of charge. You probably have the right ideal one years’ worth and hang it on the wall cheaper than getting someone to make one for you.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
Dizzy-Dick

I have my ham radio plates on my Jeep Liberty and it is always towed behind the RV on all trips.
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #29
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
In Texas, a "Texas Radio Operator" plate is $2. Just enough to cover the cost of the plate. You can put the same number on all of your vehicles.
Doc
Now one of the things I've been trying to decide is what state to move to a a full time RVer. The post following yours was "Too many people know where to go to find a home address" does not bother me because the address on my license is a shoebox (Well it is a metal box with a lock on the door behind a locked door in a very well built building with excellent security) it's not where my radios live. And the ability to put the same plate on both house and towed car... That may just end up being the deciding factor!!!

Thank you

I'm not sure till next week what the fee is here in MI for ham plates but like Texas.. You only pay when you get a new plate, not for renewal tabs... I'm going to see what happens since I have the plate.. Just "Inactive" due to not having a car to bolt it to for the last few years.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #30
K.Regester
MSgt USAF (Retired)

I am also in GA and not required to have front plate. Took my old GA HAM plate, scraped all the decals and mounted on front of the TV. I have gotten a few funny double takes from the police but they haven't stopped me yet.
Icom IC-7200 + 31' Jackite + W5GI & G5RV antennas
Kenwood TS-130S
K.Regester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #31
wa8yxm

In Michigan I pay $2.00 when they make a new plate for me.... Had to do that last December,,, I renewed the plates on my new car and it )@!#$ SOS clerk gave me the right paperwork,,,, but the WRONG COLOR tab (2014 insead of 2015) I know why it happened,, Motor home is 2014, Car a month later is 2015... Motor home is in wife's name.

So I sent in the "New" reg (one copy which clearly showed both the proper year of expiration AND the year tab they gave me) and $2.00 and got new callsign plates.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #32
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In Michigan I pay $2.00 when they make a new plate for me.... Had to do that last December,,, I renewed the plates on my new car and it )@!#$ SOS clerk gave me the right paperwork,,,, but the WRONG COLOR tab (2014 insead of 2015) I know why it happened,, Motor home is 2014, Car a month later is 2015... Motor home is in wife's name.

So I sent in the "New" reg (one copy which clearly showed both the proper year of expiration AND the year tab they gave me) and $2.00 and got new callsign plates.
That is all profoundly unclear. Can't make head or tail of it. Can you make it a little clearer?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #33
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRVer View Post
Once you register and get your FRN, is it possible to use a P.O.Box and not have your residence listed on the FCC site? Or once it's listed it's always their on their site or archives?
P.O. Box is just fine. You can run but you can't hide. Many famous people with big egos like to hide their address that way. I have one about 10 miles north of me, a country music hall of fame bass guitar player married to a famous country music singer. He and his wife gave up their ham license 6 or 7 years ago but he got a new license and is a General again. Travis Tritt lives about 5 miles from me and his name is on his front gate, but then he isn't a ham, radio operator I should say, either. Jamie "James" Dupree, NS3T, a well known Fox radio reporter doesn't hide his address.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
dr carver

Got my tags renewed yesterday, one of which is my ham call tag that I've had for years. I asked the clerk how much of the fee was for the ham tag vs a regular tag. She looked it up and it was $1.50 difference. If memory serves, there was a $10.00 or so fee when I first got the tag, then replacements were the same as a normal tag and they came in the mail. This is in Clay County, Florida: your mileage may vary!

KA4HHM

2013 Trailmanor 2720
2011 Ford Expedition
dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
wa8yxm

There is a different section (I think) that applies to Amateur Call plates in MI. as part of the application you agree to assist in the event of a communications emergency.. And your registration info (Name/address/call) are sent to both the county sheriff and the director of the Michigan State Police so they can call upon you in the aforementioned event.

Of course, in all the years I have been licensed (Rapidly approaching 50) Only once have I ever responded to a communications emergency, and that was optional and in a county other than the one I lived in (Which at that time should not have happened.. or rather I could not be required... It is a 3-county issue,, The county it was in refused (Emergency Manager said "NO" so they applied to the county next door, Since I lived one mile out of that county on the incoming storm path I registered with RACES there, they called me)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #36
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
There is a different section (I think) that applies to Amateur Call plates in MI. as part of the application you agree to assist in the event of a communications emergency.. And your registration info (Name/address/call) are sent to both the county sheriff and the director of the Michigan State Police so they can call upon you in the aforementioned event.
That essentially was the agreement with the State of Georgia. You get a free plate with your call (but you still pay all the taxes) The radio call plate identifies you at the scene of an emergency as a legitimate radio operator, and you are volunteering your time and equipment in a time of need. It was never a vanity plate. The plate should not cost me $55 per vehicle.

Thus, the agreement between myself and the State of Georgia is hereby dissolved.

But the local ARES folks are really nice so I'll still help out with that.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #37
W3TLN

Pennsylvania $11 one time fee.
W3TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #38
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Now one of the things I've been trying to decide is what state to move to a a full time RVer.
You want to find a state that you can move to an RVer? Now that's ambitious. Most of us want to move the RVer to the state, not move the state to the RVer. Deign to accept admiration for such noble ambition.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #39
wa8yxm

Sadly.. It looks like I may be moving to Georgia (The original post in this thread) for a while... So this thread got a lot more interesting.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #40
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Regester View Post
Took my old GA HAM plate, scraped all the decals and mounted on front of the TV.
Doesn't that make it kind of hard to watch Seinfeld reruns?