Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Sweetwater CoE Campground, Canton, GA

Just got back from 3 nights at Sweetwater Campground on Lake Allatoona. My first time at this Corps of Engineer campground. It is located about 8 miles west of Canton, GA just off GA Hwy 20. We had a pretty decent site, #106, which is an ADA site. My site was flat with water and 50/30 electric. I think this is an older campground and there are a lot of campsites too small for an RV, just for tents. For someone that wants to get in the water for a swim there was a sand beach about 300 yards away and a nearby boat ramp. Quite a colony of Geese so it isn't recommended you walk around barefoot. I can't say it was the best place I've been. The flys were all over and you couldn't sit outside without them being all over you, especially if you had something to drink or eat. Temp was in the mid-90's with high humidity. We apparently were parked over a ant colony because we were invaded. I spayed ant killer all over but it didn't slow them down. And then on the last night, DW sprayed some fabreeze and set off the LP/CO alarm and it wouldn't clear so in desperation for some sleep had to amputate. I'll rewire it when I get a chance to see if it is over it's tantrum, I just cut one wire so should be a quick fix or I may be looking for a replacement.

I thought all of the CoE campgrounds around Lake Allatoona stayed open year round but that is not the case. McKinney Campground is the only one that is open year round, the rest shut down September 7 during the week and open on some weekends. The reason is, they drop the lake to winter pool and it gets very shallow and in some areas no water at all. McKinney campground I believe is closest to the dam so it still has decent water depth. The lake provides drinking water for NW Atlanta metro, Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth, Canton, Woodstock and Paulding County where I live. My county is building it's own reservoir but will be several years before it is of any use.

I'd give you some photos but can't get the memory to download on the PC.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Not to be confused with Sweetwater Creek State Park.

Lovely place but no campground at all.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
electricflyer

I've never been to the Sweetwater Creek State Park. It's only about 10 miles from me and has a lot of Civil War history with the remains of an old textile mill that was burned during the Civil War (why do the call it a Civil war, nothing civil about it). I usually take auto tours as myself and DW have difficulty walking any distance or rough terrain.

I met a ham last month that had just retired as a Park Ranger at Sweetwater Creek SP after about 35 years.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
I've never been to the Sweetwater Creek State Park. ..... I usually take auto tours as myself and DW have difficulty walking any distance or rough terrain.
I hear the fishing is good there and the lake is very accessible/near the parking. I haven't been there in years but the walk to the old mill is quite nice.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
electricflyer

Default Pictures

I know Wade likes pictures, so I was able to make the download of a couple for the Sweetwater Campground. The pad was very close to level side to side but had a decent slope down in the front. Not far from the sand beach area. I didn't take a photo of the YL in the itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini, didn't want to be to obvious. I did get a couple on paddle boards at Lake Tahoe a few years back though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (108.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (75.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (65.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (144.1 KB, 16 views)