Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
KF5BET

Default 13 Colonies Special Event

Well I got sucked into this event.

Had not planned on working this, but got one or two contacts and then it was "wonder if I can get them all" and then the game was on....

Wound up finishing last night. Worked all 13 and the two "special" stations for a total of 15. Most contacts were on 15m and 40m.

Will start compiling all of the paperwork today for the certificate and QSL cards.

The girls decided last night, after I announced my completion, they would try for some of them as well. Just looked at their logs and they both got 8 of the stations in a couple of hours. They could very well get them all by the end of the contest tonight (sure does help to have a YL voice...).

Anyone else working this event? Was kinda addictive once I started. Not bad for my old Icom IC-740 and a homemade dipole antenna....
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
KF5BET

Well....girls got all 15 as well! Sent all of the logs off today. Now the wait begins for the certificates and QSL's!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Radio
Administrator

That's cool. Those girls show the rest of us how it's done.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
KF5BET

Yep.... Proud of them. They are kind of getting excited about radio! Did great during Field Day and now they are getting into special event stations.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 08-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
W3TLN

Got 'em all from home and I operated as K2M from Skyview Radio Society. Skyview had over 4700 contacts and led the 13colonies stations in the total number of contacts. We're filling and mailing LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of K2M QSL cards!

-Tom, W3TLN

W3TLN in blue shirt. Second photo clean sweep cert.
W3TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Jackmaster

Default Got all the Colonies

Received 13 Colonies certificate in the mail yesterday. The hardest was New York. He must have rested all day Sunday until 6 PM when he started making pileups. I got him later that night when he started taking lists from each of the areas.
Jackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
KF5BET

The girls and I really enjoyed the event. Thanks Tom (and your crew) for the great work you and all the other stations did to put on the event! Oh, and welcome to ORR! Stick around and enjoy the site!

And Jackmaster: Welcome aboard as well!!! Same goes for you as well. Hope you find the site useful and friendly!

And finally, received my last qsl card today, so now we have all 15 cards and the certificate. All are very well done. Thanks!

BTW, the girls said the hardest for them was Kentucky, they were not sure if they were going to make it but he came through at the last minute!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

All three girls? How old are they? Just the two who are licensed? I'd like to visualize them operating. And congrats to them and to you.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
KF5BET

Carl: One wife (not interested in Ham at all) and two girls (17 and 15).

They are doing well at operating, their voices can really create the pileups

They both tell me they are going to have the Extra by the end of the year!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
They both tell me they are going to have the Extra by the end of the year!
Now that's cool. Power to them both!

Feminine voices may help build a pileup, but it takes pure skill to handle a pileup and get a clean sweep, as they did. Be proud.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Saw you guys on HAM NATION (http://twit.tv/hn) last night

That noise everyone was commenting on... Abby's cell phone (I suspect it was Abby in any case) was too close to the Mic cable.. Might have been Kendra's but I think it was Abby's.

The phone was handshaking with the tower (Possibly both of them) and the RF was getting into the mic cable.. I toss a lot of audio around on poorly sheilded cables when driving (Car has a tape player with a cassette adapter for aux in, Motor home has cd and Aux in, I sometimes play CD in car or tape in motor home or MP3 or Mini-Disc in both)

Phone will get into the audio lines if it's too close.. Even if I'm using a headset or earpiece it can get into the cord if it's too close.

Same sound.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
KF5BET

Was probably my phone as it came over on the Ark..... it was in the room... Didn't even think about it!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 08-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I do not know.. I'm guessing the phone nearest the mic and the body nearest the mic was Abby

I have 2 (I think) or 3 cell phones here.. (I may have shipped one of them back to the phone recyclers) one is an el-cheapo,, Paid fifteen bucks for it at walgreens, does not even have a web browser but it can text.

The other is a Galasy S-III

BOTH of them will get into the audio lines when they handshake. Hear them clear as a bell UNLESS (Applies to the S-III only) they are the audio source.

Not so sure then,, but when my wife was alive and I was driving the house (motor home) I listened to Channel 19 with an earpiece so she would not be subjected to trucker speak... I could hear it in the earpiece if the lead was too close to the S-III... and if I was playing Mini-Discs (I have a few hundred hours of mostly live recordings) That lead too would pick it up and feed it to the dash audio system. Have heard it on some other systems too.

It is a very high freqauency (UHF or better) signal and at close range goes through the shields on audio cables like a hot knife through warm butter.

But that is how I know the sound... So, next time, Move the cells at least 3 feet from the audio cables.

And happy hamming. Oh.. I'm watching the REST of the show as I type this.. (Bob showing off his carbon pile telephone microphone)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
wa8yxm

And forlks.. For those of you who do not know
Galen, Abby and Kendra were featured guests on HAM NATION.

Hosted by the likes of Bob Heil and Gordon West (And George Johnson from Amateurlogic.tv) it is an interesting show.. http://twit.tv/hn and this week's show Aug 6, 2014... If you watch live (it is shot live) you can hang a 2nd window in an IRC chat room attached to the show.