Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Atlanta Hamfest

How many are coming to the 83rd Atlanta Hamfest? Only 1 day this year. In previous years the Kennehoochee Club had a hamfest in April at Miller Park in Marietta and the Atlanta Club had their hamfest on the first Saturday in June. That all changed last year. Declining attendance and rising cost to have a hamfest has reduced the summer hamfest's to one in the Atlanta area until the areas biggest one in November in Lawrenceville. The only other Atlanta area hamfest this summer is in Covington in July.

Because of small attendance some of the vendors have stopped participating. It looks like only 11 vendors, possibly one more. It was questionable if HRO would participate but I see they are on the list. Internet sales may be a cause for some of this decline. The advantage of the hamfest is to be able to put your hands on what your are interested in buying. Other than that it is very easy to shop the internet. The swap market keeps hamfests alive since that is the best way to dispose of your valuable rigs.

Huntsville in August is well attended for one reason it is inside and air conditioned so weather doesn't have an adverse effect.

I'll be there to assist the CAVEC organization with the FCC exam session. Stop by and say HI.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

You didn't mention the date or the location.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I beleive there is a hamfest near Atlanta long about July 26... At this typing I plan to be there but time and budget will tell But I should hit Atlanta the evening of the 25th, on my way north so the event is a natural.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
electricflyer

The Atlanta Hamfest is this coming Saturday, June 7th at Jim Miller County Park in Marietta, GA. The hamfest in July is in Covington, GA about 25 miles East of Atlanta off of I-20. You can google either one of them for info.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Dang. Way too short of a notice to do anything about it.

And I have a ton of crap I'd like to part with.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
electricflyer

The best place to sell your unwanted valuables is at the Alford Memorial Hamfest at the Gwinnett County Fair Grounds in Lawrenceville November 1 & 2. Very big bone yard. Just a little cool in the AM though. Radio, you can still come this Saturday and add to your collection of junk.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Thanks FLyer, it is Covington I hope to hit as, like I said, I should hit the area just about on schedule.. WIll finialize plans next month.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
electricflyer

Well the hamfest is over. I don't think the crowd was as large as last year. There was a threat of rain which may have kept some people away. Certainly was fewer vendors. HRO salesman, Mark Holmes said they had a good day and he wasn't disappointed. The boneyard was near normal although there were several vendors that usually display in trailers that were not there. Only had 22 people to test this year. Previous years it was over 30. Of the 22 we had 18 pass the exam and 4 fail.

Amazingly every licensed ham, except two, failed to bring a copy of their current license. That creates a problem for the VE's to be able to verify qualifications to upgrade. Fortunately the age of smart phones lets us verity from the FCC web site. Same goes for photo ID, we had one person that had no photo ID. He did have a copy of his license though but without ID we don't know if someone is taking the exam for someone else. Do you think anyone would cheat to get a license, YES it has happened before and attempts will happen again.

By the way, this was held Jim Miller County park in Marietta and there are 44 full hook-up sites for RVs right next to the hamfest, no pull thru's, only back-ins some angled, some are 90 degree, next to a small lake that is home to a flock of Canadian honkers that may provide for a little bombing practice. The latest cost was $15 daily. So next year if anyone is in the area the first weekend in June you may want to stop by.