Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
nightstars

Default 8P9, From The Motor Home

Just came back from helping the local radio club here in Warner Robins, GA in their "Keep an Eye on the Parking Lots". Local Hams help the Police by spending an hour or so, just watching for anything out of place and calling it in. Got home and went into the motor home to plug in the handheld 2M radio. I've been checking in with the morning RVing Service Net on 7.191 MHZ, 7 - 9 AM EST, so I just turned on the radio for a short and tuned around 40M. I here this faint QRZ call from Barbados. To my surprise he came right back to me. Shocked me to no end. DXing on 40M, with a vertical and 100 Watts. Guess I got the antenna mounted correctly, LOL. After the 2nd day of having the new Icom installed with the auto tuner, well, I've fallen in love with it. 73 - to all my fellow RVing Hams from George (KL7IEK). Cheers
nightstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Nothing Wrong with vertical, I use a GAP TITAN and a assortment of wire's here .
My Son (WA9DDK) in Macon has a Hustler 5 BTV and a Hy-Gain Vert. as well as several wire's , they all work well for what they are intended for .
Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
N3LYT

R7 here works pretty good on 40 often switch between the wires and the vertical hard to tell some time what one is doing a better job. I never run more that a 100 watts.portable or at home.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
nightstars

Macon is only 16 miles up the road from me.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
nightstars

N3LYT, I think I could match a water piper with the DT-100. Man this new technology is sure spoiling me
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Reminds me of when (in 1982) I put a TS430S in, and a Hustler on, my pickup. My first contact, on 15 CW on the way to work, was in Canary Islands.

For six months I worked mobile CW to and from work (about 15 minutes each way) in the 15 meter Novice band. After six months I went to the Dallas FCC office and passed the 20 wpm Extra code test, which I had failed four times before. My old Dad, rest his soul, would finally have been proud of me. He was a career Chief Radioman in the USN, and could do 35-40 wpm with one ear tied behind his back.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Close knit bunch. I'm up the road in Fayetteville, GA.

And most all verticals make good DX antennas because of there low angle of radiation.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstars View Post
N3LYT, I think I could match a water piper with the DT-100. Man this new technology is sure spoiling me
Oh yeah I have an AT100 PRO2 controlled by my Icom that I run with HRD just click "tune" and you'er done! My stuff is pretty resonate but it really helps at the band edges it's nice with the two antenna inputs too. Guess there are those that say "real hams turn the knobs" but if they had to cut fire wood hand saw or chain saw? You know if it wasn't for Bessemer we would all be riding around in cast iron cars!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote