Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Pretty new to ORR, glad to see it back. I'm in Portland OR at the moment, having driven the MH from Tallahassee at the first of the year. It's cold, and rains a lot, but I have old friends here. Full-timing, so I'll likely head someplace warmer soon. Anyone here used a KJ7U screwriver on a diesel pusher? Wondering how well the frame works as a ground.
NN5I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
W5DOK
Old Member

Carl, I use a Tarheel screwdriver on my MH. It's mounted to the ladder with a ground strap down to the frame. Works great.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
One Country Boy

I've never used a "Screwdriver Antenna". Considering getting one though. I could make a lot more room in one of my bins.

@Carl - How long have you been in the northwest. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Tallahassee. C'mon back down, it was 80 degrees here yesterday and 77 today. Beautiful wx we are having.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post

@Carl - How long have you been in the northwest. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Tallahassee. C'mon back down, it was 80 degrees here yesterday and 77 today. Beautiful wx we are having.

Well, I'll likely return to Florida often, but not Tallahassee, which to me seemed a windowless prison. I have many non-ham friends in the area from about Orlando down to about Ormond Beach or so. I've lived in Orlando, St Pete, and (in college) in Gainesville, and liked'em all. Also Dallas TX. I expect to meet a friend (WI5G) from the Dallas area at the Dayton Hamvention this year; haven't been to Dayton since 2005 or so.

My plan since going full-time is to travel around, visit Ham gatherings and Judo events (I teach) and certain other gatherings. Bought the MH last August, and it took me through December to get rid of stuff and out of the stick house. Arrived in Portland OR mid-January, where I have old friends. Still learning at 71.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #25
One Country Boy

Carl, that is great. I'm in a little town (or near it) called Wewahitchka. I'm about 23 miles east of Panama City, FL and 25 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Due south of me is Port St. Joe, where I lived for about 28 years, before moving here in 2001.

We just returned from the Okachobe area. We went down to Hardee County (Wauchula) to visit an old high school friend that I had not seen since graduating in 1965. The fellow has certainly aged. I know I still look the same. Hi Hi... I have to say Carl, I much prefer the panhandle and north part of Florida over the southern area. Florida is so diverse, it''s like three states in one. We have spent a little time around the Crystal River area and I have to say, even though it is largly populated by retired New York firefighters and cops, it is a nice area.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
One Country Boy

Default Watz Happening?

Good day to ALL !

A beautiful day here in Wewahitchka, FL, sunny and 65 degrees here at almost 10:00 AM EDT... Temp got down to about 50 degrees early this morning for a low. Enjoying this weather.

Got to get out and transplant a few tomatoes (my bucket plants) this morning to get them going. I have an assorted list of other items to tackle.

What's happening at your QTH ?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Hi Jim!
58F and cloudy here in FN31rr. Had a little teaser shower come by earlier, the driveway's all dry now. Really need rain here so we don't have to sprinkle the lawn. Have a great day in Wewa.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
KF5BET

Was cool this am on the way in to work (didn't even look at the thermometer). Has been beautiful here this past week!

Hope everyone has a great weekend coming up!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #29
One Country Boy

Good morning folks... We are experiencing some beautiful wx here again today. A low of 50 degrees (again) here on daCreek in Wewa this morning, currently 58 degrees and sunny @8:15AM. Like many of you, we NEED RAIN here. We need it badly. If no rain soon I'll have to turn on the sprinklers. The grass is getting crunchy.

I did get my tomato plants transplanted yesterday and that was one of the things on my priority list.

It's been one thing after another with this new motorhome. The pump for the hydraulic levelers went out. That had to be replaced. So glad it was still under warranty. The a recall from Ford (it's on a F350 chasis) concerning the transmission linkage. Now that the linkage was replaced, the hydraulic pump began to leak fluid. Will be putting it back in the shop again Monday morning hopefully. Is this the norm for new motorhomes? I'm beginning to wish I had my Eagle 5er back. I miss my F250 anyway.

That's about it from here. Whatz going on in your neighborhood? It's nice to hear from everyone on this thread with some input about the happenings where you are. Take care all and have a great day!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
Radio
Administrator

Began to pack up the 5'ver for a trip next weekend.

This Saturday she gets a bath and the water systems flushed out. It will be good to be back in a park again! Especially if the weather holds like it is just now!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
Radio
Administrator

I have now pronounced the trailer ready to go!

You know, it's probably best not to let your trailer get THAT dirty, as it took a lot of work to get it clean again.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
WD8QBQ

Have fun and be safe.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
One Country Boy

Have a good trip Wade... The RV here is in the shop again. Darned engine running rough this time.

If we can get things on a roll here, we're ready to make a trip up to the Hiawassee, GA area for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Have a good trip Wade! Jim, hope you get your rig running well soon. We're leaving soon to NH to open up the camp. Hope to get my G5RVjr back up into the trees there also.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #35
One Country Boy

Ya'll have a good time as well Andy. We got the RV back today. Ford said the fuel in it was bad. I guess we'll see. They put some BG additive in it. Suppose to dry up the water. I've been trying to use the non-ethynol stuuf every chance I get.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #36
KF5BET

They said the same thing about my lawnmower Jim. My cub cadet with 38 hours on it started running rough and spitting oil out the exhaust. Took it on under warranty and they told me bad gas had gunked the carb and let gas into the combustion chamber scoring the wall.

Tried to say I didn't maintain the engine. Finally after much discussion, they repaired it under warranty. I now only buy gas that has no ethanol in it; luckily there is a station here by the house who claims to be ethanol free. I will also start dropping the carb bowl and cleaning it a couple of times per season.

This new gas is killing everything.....
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #37
One Country Boy

I burn the non-ethynol stuff everytime I can in the motorhome Galen. It's hard to find on the road at times. We have a couple of stations that sell it here locally and I keep it in the mower, outboard motor, etc.

I cannot understand why after about 25 miles, the motorhome would stop the rough running and run as it should. The Ford dealership put a BG additive in it. One for the oil (crankcase) and another in the fuel. It's suppose to cause any water in the fuel to dry up. They seem to swear by it.

On a different topic, we have some bad weather rolling in here today. We can sure use the rain and guess we will have to take the lightning and wind with it. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
Radio
Administrator

Jim, I looked at the weather after reading your post above. Seems the Lord thinks the entire Gulf Coast of Florida is in dire need of rain.

And you are getting it by the bucket load!

A good day if you are a or a

Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #39
One Country Boy

I haven't checked the amount of rain fall and it may not be over. Probably less then an inch. It looks worse than it is Wade. The low pressure is just SW of us now, so we are in the clear.

We had a tower fellow coming tomorrow to put up a 220 beam in Port St. Joe. That would have completed our 220 MHz link between the two 2-meter repeaters here in the county. We hung one last weekend at 80 ft. Hopefully you guys will be able to connect to W4WEB-R (Port St. Joe, FL) via Echolink and speak to me on my handheld 25 miles north, on the W4FFC Repeater, here in Wewahitchka, FL.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
Radio
Administrator

You know Jim, someday I'm just going to have to come down there for a few days. Sweet Wife loves "the beach" and she really doesn't care which beach.

Maybe this fall. We'll see.