Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default What is the hardest part about getting away?

Aye, now there's the rub!

The whole point of the RVing thing is to get away, to be somewhere else for a time. For those of us who still toil away and live in houses that have no wheels, that can be tough.

I'll tell you the toughest parts we have:

1) My company vacation schedule is set by seniority. Which means out of 25 guys in the shop, 20 of them pick ahead of me and only a few can be off at one time. In the small companies I used to work at, you would bust your butt for weeks at a time and then asking for a long weekend wasn't a big deal.

2) My wife's music ability makes her popular for all sorts of little volunteer efforts, and she just can't seem to say NO! to any of them. Most of them are local and don't take much time so unless we are planning a trip it's no big deal. She had to cancel 2 for a trip we are planning this month.

When I bought the camper I had dreams of coming home, hitch up and go on the "spur of the moment"

What is the toughest part for you?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

In my youth, the hardest part of getting away was outrunning the angry father or brothers.

Now that I'm ancient, the hardest part of getting away is scheduling around medical/dental visits.

Bummer.

But I no longer work, so don't have to worry about anyone else's schedule.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I was going to say the hardest thing about getting away depends on what you are trying to get away from.

For example: I'm a retired police dispatcher.. The hardest thing about getting away for many of our "Clientele" was the fact that the Troopers I dispatched were in top physical condition and could run faster than the wind.

For others, it was me and Motorola who prevented them from getting away.

But of course that's a different kind of get-away.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
N3LYT

Trying to figure out what to do with two Great Danes while we are gone. Two people are just right for an 18' camper but on top of every thing else Great Danes are also long!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Trying to figure out what to do with two Great Danes while we are gone. Two people are just right for an 18' camper but on top of every thing else Great Danes are also long!
Grind'em up for cat food.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Grind'em up for cat food.
Grand total between the two cats and the great Danes about 265#
Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Sadly I no longer have to find a baby sitter for our Dalmatian. It wasn't too much trouble. I paid the teenage girl down the street $10 a day to feed her, walk her twice and take care of the mail and trash pickup.

Now the dog is gone and the girl is married and moved away.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
wohtex

Default the hardest part about getting away

Both of us retired and sold the place in Texas and bought a FW & Diesel truck, full timed for a year and a half. Then medical issues hit and the FW has been in storage for the last year. Between Doctors appointments were lucky to have time to go see a movie :bigcry The best part is that there is nothing life threatening at this point and waiting for the day we can get back on the road for at least a week or two trip, plus were staying with our daughter in Northern Colorado and can't think of a better place to be if we can't be on the road.

Bill/N5CCQ
wohtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
I'm over six feet tall standing.. Well, we had to drive some sheep back to the proper farm (My dad's back fence neighbor) and they invited us for cookies and coffee.. Their dog "Duke" walked up and wanted a cookie (he got one too) Standing 4-down he was eye to eye with me sitting.

She told us of some hunters that came to the door wanting to go hunt, She told them they would have to wait for her husband to return.. They indicated that while the husband was away perhaps they could "Hunt" a different game (her) She said "You need to talk to Duke" and called him over.. Said she never saw six guys sober up and clear out so fast in her life.. All Duke said was "Hello". (In doggie speak of course,, WOOF)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They indicated that while the husband was away perhaps they could "Hunt" a different game (her) She said "You need to talk to Duke" and called him over.. Said she never saw six guys sober up and clear out so fast in her life.. All Duke said was "Hello". (In doggie speak of course,, WOOF)
Love it!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
N3LYT

Years ago I had a shady bunch show up on our farm in Maryland in a pickup one asked if the dog bites as he started to climb out of the back I said "he hasn't yet today" they left.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
KF5BET

The hardest part of getting away for us is all of our schedules. The girls are in so many different activities and with mine and DW work schedules, it has become increasingly harder to "get away".

That and my Brother-n-law has been crashing in our fiver for almost a year....that really makes it hard to get away....This situation is supposed to come to an end in a couple of months.....maybe then we can "get away".
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
N8CXX

Being the medical and legal advocate for the DW's dad keeps us around the area. He's now in a facility that tends to his every need but the DW still won't leave for more than two weeks every three months or so.

Having a FW parked and driving a dually PU wasn't my idea of retirement. So we sold the FW and PU to buy a DSDP and Honda. I also went back to work 3 days a week from the company I retired from. Yes "Double Dipping" is financially rewarding. The DW is not happy with my working so she starting to consider more frequent trips. Time will tell.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8CXX View Post
... the DW's dad keeps us around ... Having a FW parked and driving a dually PU wasn't my idea of retirement. So we sold the FW and PU to buy a DSDP ...
PU I understood at once.

DW took me a few seconds, and I'm still unsure whether the D is Darling, Dear, Danged, or perhaps something worse. Maybe it's situation-dependent.

But what's an FW? What's a DSDP?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
N8CXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
PU I understood at once.

DW took me a few seconds, and I'm still unsure whether the D is Darling, Dear, Danged, or perhaps something worse. Perhaps it's situation-dependent.

But what's an FW? What's a DSDP?
FW = Fifth Wheeler
DSDP = Dutch Star Diesel Pusher
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
FW = Fifth Wheeler
DSDP = Dutch Star Diesel Pusher
Ah so. Arigato.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
KF5BET

Quote:
Having a FW parked and driving a dually PU
Yep...totally agree with that. It's killing me when I see gas prices below 3 bucks and Diesel still 3.70 or thereabouts....

Oh well still like my truck! bigger is better, even though it comes with a price!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
KC1BUD

Getting away at the drop of the hat is difficult at best. We have the father of my bride living with us and at 91 he isn't real anxious to go for very long, more than a couple of days at a time and he still drives his own 1975 Winnebago Brave. He doesn't like going when the weather cools.
On the other hand, we just spent 5 days in Columbus Ohio at Quarter horse Congress.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote