Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Default My RV mount for 5'er

I required a better mount for my "hamstick dipole" and optional Hustler 4BTV vertical, and seeing an article in a QST sometime back, I thought I would try and use he method. Basically it is a 4"x4"x30" wooden post (I used pressure treated), which inserts into the "Poop Toob" square carrier on the back of the RV. Mounted on the end of the post is a 1-1/4" Floor Flange so I can screw in the different pipe risers required for each antenna. For the Hamstick Dipole, I use a 19ft Painters Pole, which collapses to around 8ft, and this is inserted into a 3ft piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe. I use 2 Thumbscrews to tighten down onto the pole to prevent movement. For the 4BTV, I use an 18" piece of 1-1/4" gal pipe, which the 4BTV base mounts onto. Sofar this system has worked pretty well and see attached pictures of the mount and also the Hamstick dipole. If I am amongst some trees where I cant use this mount, I have a old Radio Shack 3ft tripod which I use out away from the RV to get any clearance required. Normally I will guy the Painters Pole, but in the attached photo, which was taken in Manitou Springs, CO, I didnt require any guying, just stakes driven into the holes of the tripod into the ground. Also, I use 4 radials on the 4BTV vertical, which are made from 25ft Harbor Freight retractable tape measures. Recent article in QST showed how to modify to attach the tape to the base of the antenna.

So, just another idea and project I thought I would put out to you'all...

73 de John W6ZKH

2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4btv, antenna mount, hamstick dipole, screwdriver, tripod mount