Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Silas Longshot

Default Ahead of the game as RV'ers and hams

If one considers the possibility of impending local disaster, by nature or by man, we camper types, doubling as hams, are 'twice blessed' in that we have a portable 'bug out shelter' that we can hook up to in short order to get outta Dodge and communication equipment the rest of the population doesn't have. Probably most of us even leave our rigs modestly stocked with some food and suppplies, but just for the average camping trip or weekend getaway.
To be more effective as a getaway vehicle, our rigs should have their inventories adjusted to adapt to a longer term situation than the average camping trip supplies would cope with. I'm fond of packing ours with a high percentage of freeze dried fare, along with the usual grocery canned stock like canned meats, soups, pasta dishes, etc. I've also slowly stocked up on extra propane tanks for my TT, to have cooking and heat, at somewhat lower than 'comfortable' levels to make the gas last as long as possible. A solar panel on the roof extends the camper battery usage, so that we get longer juice for the water pump and lighting. We've swapped all our original automotive 12v incandescent lights out to LED lamps, far more efficient to avoid that drain on the battery.
Having a decent water filter system on board, such as a Berkey ceramic unit, one can collect rainwater off the awning and top up the freshwater tank. Only the water for drinking and cooking need be filtered, of course.
Problematic for this adventure, is what to do with the holding tanks? The grey water tank could be drained, carefully controlled, into a bucket to flush with. The black water tank, that we'll have to get creative with, if we're in the boonies hiding out. I'm sure one of those macerateors or grinder gadgets for sewage would be really helpful for that.
If at all possible, I think one should have enough fuel in 'jerry cans' to at least make one fill up for the camper or tow vehicle. In most cases that's gonna be a LOT of fuel. That's why I favor the jerry can, it's footprint is smaller than the average plastic fuel container. I'm presenting this angle as using a pickup as a tow vehicle. There's generally enough space in back to accommodate these cans, along with the spare propane tanks, some water cans and all the food you can cram in from your house stash. Secure the jerry cans WELL, towards the tailgate. You don't want to have to waste time and drag out stuff all over the place to get to fuel if you're in some kind of situation requiring 'bugging out'.

https://survivingurbancrisis.wordpre...cation-option/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning water catch.jpg (40.7 KB, 57 views)

Tags
bugout, filters, water collection