Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Camping Thanksgiving Weekend

We thought about getting a cabin for my son and his new wife, and a camping spot for us older folks in a nice state park for Thanksgiving weekend.

Then again, once we looked at reservations while still 30 days out it looks more like Memorial Day or 4th of July.

Ever camped over Thanksgiving? Would you do it again?

Or does all that family togetherness with everyone else's family sort of take the fun out of it?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Where would you cook the turkey, or the pumpkin and apple pies, and so forth?

To me, Thanksgiving is a special holiday that I would prefer to celebrate with friends in the traditional way, and I enjoy doing the turkey, pies, and so forth, for my old-fart friends who (like me) no longer have family, or whose family are far distant.

Thanksgiving comes only once a year. I can camp any time.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

We would actually do a fairly traditional Thanksgiving Day followed by a camping trip. But it looks like the crowds will be huge.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
We would actually do a fairly traditional Thanksgiving Day followed by a camping trip. But it looks like the crowds will be huge.
Me, after Thanksgiving dinner I want to kick back and not move much. That's part of why I do the cooking -- cleanup is other people's job.

Modesty ought to forbid my saying that the other part of why I do the cooking is that I'm the best cook. But modesty is for those who deserve it.

This year, so far it looks like it's gonna be all hams: W1AAO, W4MIT, W4DSW, N5GTR and me, and whoever else we can get. We'll probably have food for twice that many.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post

This year, so far it looks like it's gonna be all hams:
I thought you said you were going to fix Turkey. You should do hams at Christmas time.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well since I am a full-timer yes I have camped on Thanksgiving and will again this year.

I do not knwo just where you are. but notice you are a "4" 4 Includes South Carolina.

Odds are very good that Thousand Trails/NACO Carolina landing will have both a site (30 or 50 amps your choice) and a cabin open on Thanksgiving weekend.. There is a good distnance between the "A" section and the cabians (which are at the end of C section) but you can ask about openings closer to the cabins.. Campground is in Fair Play SC, on the shore of Lake Hartwell. Near (like 20 miles) to Anderson and Clemson and Senica.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
I thought you said you were going to fix Turkey. You should do hams at Christmas time.
Well, I myself am a turkey. Does that count?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
electricflyer

I think that is already understood, LOL.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
ke0me

We will be camping out in the daughters house for Thanksgiving in northern Colorado.

Her family will do the cooking and cleaning, DW and I will do the eating and spoiling of GK's.

We are at their house anyway since the trailer is in the shop, so why move out of a nice warm comfy HOUSE until after Thanksgiving, we will be in the trailer all winter anyway.

So have great Thanksgiving and share with whoever you enjoy being with.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
TXiceman

WE have cooked a complete Thanksgiving meal in the RV on more than one occasion and no problems if you plan. The turkey was small enough for the oven. SOme items were prepared ahead of time and frozen or refrigerated.

AS for scheduling, it has gotten to the point of ridiculous unless you schedule holidays about 6 months out in the more popular areas. WE have even seen where it is ahrd to get into a commercial campground over a holiday.

Since were are full time in the RV, it has been difficult to hit some nice areas on the weekend. The GO RVING campaign has been too successful.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
WE have cooked a ... Thanksgiving meal in the RV ... The turkey was small enough for the oven ...
Yah, that's the problem. I like to roast at least a 20-pounder, and preferably up to 24 or so. Won't fit in my oven in the RV. Everything else is possible, and I can even use both ovens at once most of the time (gas oven, and electric convection oven).

The park I'm in long-term has a clubhouse with large oven, fridge, complete kitchen, lots of big tables, dishwasher etc. that can be reserved and used free; but try to get THAT for Thanksgiving!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
wm5e

Our family usually camps the whole Thanksgiving week. We have for years and it's kinda our tradition. I'll fry a couple of turkeys and a lot of cooking gets done early and frozen, then thawed out the day before we eat. We've always enjoyed the outdoors during the holidays, but in Texas sometimes it's sometimes in the 90s.
wm5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
JNeeleyW6ZKH

Default Turkey week trip

We will be heading out to the wilds of the Mojave Desert, near Ridgecrest on the Monday before TDay and boondocking with my son as he and the grandsons or who else is crazy enough to ride their motorcycles. I will be doing Turkey Breasts in Dutch Ovens, as RV ovens are terrible.
I will be using my Icom 7200 HF rig and various antennas while out there, mostly on AM.... yes it is still used. Kinda hard to stuff my 'real boatanchors' in that 5'er, plus it would overweight the RV..
2008 Dodge 3500 Diesel Quadcab
Montana 3440RL 5'er
JNeeleyW6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote