Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Harley Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Harley Guy
Default First Post

Hello, my name is Dennis and my call is WB6PMD. My wife and I recently purchased a 29' travel trailer and are looking forward to getting back into RVing now that our kids are grown.

I am looking to set up an HF station in the trailer and am currently doing homework on antenna installations. I expect to move my Kenwood TS 850t between the home QTH and the trailer. I have Rigrunner connections and this should be an easy move.

We are currently into short Southern CA trips since we are still active in our business. So, I am looking for an antenna solution that is easy up/down for a couple of days of operation while camping. Any ideas would be great.

I am looking forward to sharing experiences with other members!
Harley Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Welcome abord Dennis !
For quick & functional , I'd recommend a "screwdriver" type antenna mounted to the ladder (if you have one ) or a elevated bracket off the rear bumper or tongue with about 6 pieces of #12 stranded wire about 25 feet long attached to the base that can be fanned out when you make camp.
Beyond that it's as always , experiment and see what configuration work's for you.

73, John
Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
W5DOK
Old Member

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the RV world. It's a lifestyle that's almost as addictive as Ham radio. Retirement ain't bad either.
I use a Comet CHA 250b a lot when I'm going to be in one spot for a couple of days and space permits. I have a telescoping pole that is in 2, 8 foot sections and I attach it to my rear ladder. Takes probably 5 minutes to set up or take down and works on most hf freqs and with the tuner on the Icom, it will go to 6 meters. As long as you keep it under 200 watts, no problems. I have a Tarheel 200 that attaches to the rear ladder that also works very well. It's mounted so that the whip is above the roofline, so I don't have "rf in the house" problems. Going down the road, I monitor 146.52 in the motor home and toad. I have Larsen, thru the glass antennas on both and they work ok.
See you down the road.

Doc
W5DOK
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Dennis, read some of the old posts for some ideas and then ask specific questions.

I also use a Tarheel antenna and like it very much.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
SSBLUE

Default Which is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Hi Dennis, Welcome to the RV world. It's a lifestyle that's almost as addictive as Ham radio. Retirement ain't bad either.
I use a Comet CHA 250b a lot when I'm going to be in one spot for a couple of days and space permits. I have a telescoping pole that is in 2, 8 foot sections and I attach it to my rear ladder. Takes probably 5 minutes to set up or take down and works on most hf freqs and with the tuner on the Icom, it will go to 6 meters. As long as you keep it under 200 watts, no problems. I have a Tarheel 200 that attaches to the rear ladder that also works very well. It's mounted so that the whip is above the roofline, so I don't have "rf in the house" problems. Going down the road, I monitor 146.52 in the motor home and toad. I have Larsen, thru the glass antennas on both and they work ok.
See you down the road.

Doc
W5DOK
Hey Doc,

When each used stationary, which do you prefer, The Comet or the Tarheel 200?
Thank you, steve
SSBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
W5DOK
Old Member

I actually like the Comet better. Because of it's height, it has better receive. I think it's 26 feet. Super simple to put up and take down. No ground radials to fuss with and a mark around the tube where fits into the next tube takes care of having it at the correct length every time. Oh, and did I mention "NO GROUND RADIALS".

Doc
W5DOK
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Hi Dennis,

Welcome back to the world of RV'ing and also to the ORR Forum. Glad to have you on board and looking forward to your posts.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well, let's see

Congrats on obtaining a license, no matter how long ago
Congrats on joining the RV lifestyle
and Congrats on finding the perfect partner (Wife)

Oh yes, Congrats on making your first post and it was not even a concrete filled steel post at the gas staion (the kind you "Make" with your fender or compartment door) Don't make that kind please
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
KF5BET

Welcome aboard Dennis...Hope to see you on here often.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, travel trailer