Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Make a swamp cooler

So the roof top A/C just quit and the wife wants to pack it all up and head back home. Or more seriously, in an emergency there is a patient that MUST be kept cool.

You may be aware of a device called a "swamp cooler" which is just a box of ice with a fan blowing air over it.

So here's a set of instructions for building a box of ice with a fan blowing over it.

Amazing! Yeah I bet we could all put one of these together from stuff in the camper.

http://snapguide.com/guides/make-an-...id=69945963-37

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

This might cool your camper, but how does it cool the swamp?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
KF5BET

The blower fan on our camper just went out not too long ago. Compressor still worked but no go on blow... found and ordered a new blower motor off fleabay (new in box) for a third of the price anywhere locally.

Came in, slapped it in one evening and back up and running cool air. Perfect fit.

Maybe yours is a simple fix as well.

The swamp cooler is a pretty good idea. We were just talking about swamp coolers the other day. People were surprised that it worked. I also had to remind them that in the desert you are not drying out the air so evaporative cooling works very well.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Here in S.W. Ind. once the humidity comes up , there's no way to cool "The Swamp" except A/C .
Cooling is not as much of a problem as the "SKEETERS" and "Tic's" (blood sucking varmint's) .
Out in Colorado (years ago) we used a "Humidifier" type cooler , pumped water over a set of baffles which had a fan blowing air through them , worked surprisingly well.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

If your blower motor fails, and it's a Carrier Air V, and you are in eastern lower Mich (Flint/Port Huron area) I'm your man.. Spare in basement I'd love to get rid of.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
N3LYT

Swamp coolers to us here in the humid NE just make it more humid!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
TXiceman

Technically, the device you have shown is not a "swamp cooler". A "swamp cooler" blows air over a wetted pad and cools the air to the dew point by evaporating the water. The lower the dew point (lower humidity) the more effective the swamp cooler.

I high humidity areas, the dew point is too high and you do not get the cooling.

Blowing the air over the ice will drop the dew point a bit, but most of the cooling is sensible. To get much cooling, you need a lot of ice contact area.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The real swamp cooler is an evaporation cooler, you blow air through a filter that is kept damp either by wicking action or by a pump, or you blow air through a MIST of water. It is amazing the amount of energy needed to make water into vapor (or ice into water).

As to how does it cool the swamp. The "Swamp" (Pan of water) is what provides the cooling. In dry climates they are very effective.. Where I'm at (Dew point in the 70s this week) not so much.

They also humidify, so if you are in say Airzonia where it's hot and dry (Not all of the state qualifies) it is a double "Threat" to the weather, by evaporation of water it cools the room, AND raises the humidity both of which are needed.

Alas, here it would only raise humidity (I am in Michigan)
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
The swamp cooler is a pretty good idea. We were just talking about swamp coolers the other day. People were surprised that it worked. I also had to remind them that in the desert you are not drying out the air so evaporative cooling works very well.
Trying to understand the significance of that. You're not drying out the air with a swamp cooler, for sure, not in the desert, nor in the swamp -- nor anyplace else.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
TXiceman

WA8YXM,

Actually the pan does not do any cooling.

Here is an explanation of how the cooling works.
http://www.coolbreeze.co.za/psyevap.htm

It is adiabatic cooling.

If you think about how you are cooled when you sweat. The water is not what cools you, it is the evaporation of the water on the skin...adiabatic cooling.

ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Re Read my explanation Ken, I said "It is amazing how much energy it takes to turn water into vapor" That, (Evaporation of water) is precisely what I was talking about. So yes, I knew that.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
N3LYT

I kind of remember them renting swamp coolers decades ago for drives across the desert.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
TXiceman

When we lived in west Texas as a kid, my parents had a swamp cooler for the car. It clamped on the passenger front door and air was pushed through it as we motored down the road. We did have to fill it with water every so often as it did have a tank to hold the water. It had a small fan to keep some air moving at low speed.

If beat the heck out of a hot road trip.

Ken