Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Short trip to Florida Springs RV Park

Plans are to head out in the morning to Florida Springs RV Park and Campgrounds at Bonifay, FL. We have a little business to take care of in the area, so we decided to do a little camping at the same time.

I was awfully tempted to put the TS2000 in the 5'er but decided I'll leave it at home. I put the TS450s in the RV and will carry along a 2-meter rig for local rag chewing. Bonifay is only about a 2 hour pull from home so it's not a long trip. Plans are to stay about a week. There are several hams I've been talking to up there for several years and never had the chance to meet. Maybe I'll also have some eyeball QSO's.

This campground has been there for a number of years but has been closed for the past two years. New owners have renovated it and trying to get it back on it's feet and in operation. There is a small lake on the property, fed by a spring and many large oak trees. It is in a prime location, within a half mile of I-10 at the Hwy 79 exit to Bonifay. It has lots of pull-thrus with full hook-ups. I was told by the owner today that their WiFi should be in operation tomorrow. They do not have cable TV yet, but it's in the works. Looks like it will be an excellant site for folks traveling I-10 to pull off for the night or to spend a few days.

The owners tell me that they have never RV'ed but would like to one day. They asked more questions than I did. It appeared they really wanted to please their guests by asking what we would like to have as far as ammenities and what we expected of a good park. They told me they were talked into buying the old park by some friends up north that own a CG.

We'll try to give you guys a trip report when we return or maybe while there. I sure hope they have that WiFi in operation. If not, I may be seeing "pink elephants" before I get home.