Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Question Kenwod TS-2000 Users ?

Anyone on ORR running the Kenwood TS-2000 ? I think someone mentioned having one awhile back. I've always been partial to Kenwood equipment and I'm getting ready to put together a new station in the stick house. When I do, I'll put my TS-450s in our 5'er.

The TS-2000 is a lot of radio. I don't have a need for the 1.2 gig band or 1.3, whichever it is, so I can rule out the TS-2000X. I think that is the only difference in the 2000 and 2000X models. To be honest I'm not overly joyed with having 2-meters and 440 in my HF rig. Six meters is nice and would like to have 6-meter ssb capability. But, I have a seperate Kenwood radio for the other bands.

Appearence ? I think it's a fugly radio. "It reminds me of an old Nash Rambler", a fellow ham told me. But I'm looking for performance and I like Kenwood.

The TS-2000 has a built in keyer and TNC for packet. I like those features. Also some other frills I may never use. Anyone out there running one, if so, how do you like it ? What mic are you running with it ?

Thank you.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
w3zi

Default Ts-2000

Hi Jim
I have run the TS2000 for about 10 years now and have been very happy with it. Have it here in the Motor Home with me now and find it a great radio to have -- with the built in tuner etc. I run a Tarheel antenna and set it up on the bumper hitch when I am parked. Although I work mainly cw, have had good reports on the audio of the rig using the hand mic. I dont carry my Heil mic I use at the home QTH.

I have never done any serious VHF work but am looking at the KU4AB Antennas and going to give it a try.

73 - Mark W3ZI
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I run a ts-2000 using the stock Kenwood mobile mic that came in the box.. I would suggest the optional mic with Touch Tone Key pad if you use it for VHF/UHF as well as HF but if you don't the stock mic is just fine.. Very happy with it.. Suggest up's and extras include the voice recorder and again, if you plan on using some of the VHF features the CTSS decoder. (This is useful if you wish to operate it "Remote" as I do, in fact, plan on in the future)

I have a TM-733 in the front of the rig, the TS-2000 is in the 'ham shack" which is "Amid-ships" (about half way back) on my coach.. I plan on putting a six meter antenna in a nice hidden area (Got everythign I need save the round-tuit) and park the TS-2000's "main" on 52.525 when traveling.. Then use the VHF side to "Remote" it
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Oh.. I'm also told that if you replace a couple dozen diodes with low noise types it receives better..... Thats on the kenwood modifications page
Old 11-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
AE5BI

I use the TS2000 and love it. It is too much radio for my limited brain so I get frustrated when I try to figure out Sky Command etc. One draw back is that the built-in TNC is useless for Airmail. As a fulltimer I would like to be on airmail as an option. A friend of mine gave me an MFJ-1276 but, again, I am too stupid to figure it out.

Otherwise the unit performs flawlessly and I get good reports on voice using the provided mic.

I am into an SGC AT to a long wire. For more info go to the HAM page from my website.

You won't go wrong with this radio but it is pricey I think.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Default Thanks

I appreciate the comments on the TS-2000. There may be several things incorporated into the rig that I have little or no use for. I basically want some good outgoing audio and that is adjustable. The filtering will also be nice. I enjoy running CW, I need to get my speed back up.

I'm not sure I understand what all "Sky Command" does or is. If one of you could elaboarate on that when you have a moment.

I see some places where the radio can be purchased for around $1500 or $1600, maybe less, I've not done a lot of online shopping yet.

I'm also looking for an amp. The Ameritron with the single 3-500z may be an option. I see good reports on it. I think that is the AL-80 or domething like that. I'll really get more into studying all the features in the next few days.

I do appreciate the info. If there are others please jump in.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Default Steve's Web Site

Steve,

Looked at a portion of the website. Good job. I would encourage others to take a look at it. Lots of good info there. You guys are living the life. Makes me want to go out and hook up the 5'er. It will be a couple of more weeks before we make another trip. Great life isn't it ?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
AE5BI

Sky Command allows access to HF on the TS2000 through the Kenwood HT or their mobile radio.

Thanks for the feedback!

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
wa8yxm

One suggestion with any top end radio now days including the TS-2000.

When I mounted it in my "Shack" I built a small riser, the riser is basically a box. the inside of the box is about 9" wide, and the depth (inside) is about 12".. Meaning the manual fits nicely inside.. Also on both the shack laptop and THIS laptop, is a PDF file titled TS-2000.. Yup, it's the same manual.. Very handy.

I still have times where I operate with the mic or key in one hand and the manual in the other and I tend to be a "Quick Study"
Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
One Country Boy

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the information and tips guys. We're leaving next Tuesday (11/18/08) for a couple of weeks. Not going far, a couple of hours from home, over to Sunset King Lake, near DeFuniak Springs, FL. We should return December 2nd. Have planned this trip a couple of times and had to cancel it for one reason or another. If nothing changes my mind I'm going to order the TS2000 when I return. We probably will not be back out until after Christmas. That will give me some time to hopefully get the basics down and keep the manual nearby as suggested.

Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Suggestion.. Before you go visit the kenwood web site I am going to give you two links

Kenwood Amateur Radio support
Scroll down to the "Manuals" list and drop down to the TS-2000 and download the PDF

For one thing where as paper manuals get lost or damaged.. PDF's are often easier to keep track of

The second is Kenwood MODS page
Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
One Country Boy

Thanks for sending those two links John. That's what I needed, the manual. That will answer many of my questions.

We've had a change in plans, so will not be making the 2 week camping trip. Just had a new grand-baby-boy (my first) born into the family yesterday morning. He was not due until around Christmas but, decided to make an early appearence. He's a premy so will be sticking around here awhile. I may order that radio quicker than I planned. Should I order a Q&A book now for the grand or should I wait ? His father is N4XCI so he will surrounded by radios and stuff. I'll go ahead and order one now.

I had pretty much decided on an amp, a tube type. I was listening to a guy ast night on 75 meters running a solidstate amp. No tuning, I like that idea. He sounded good and had plenty of power. So, I'm back to that making up my mind there again. Too many choices. Got to do some more looking.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
wa8yxm

The thing about amps..(There are two of 'em) and why I don't have one in my "Shack"

1: Power hog 2 (And this is the biggie) BIG and HEAVY

When you can extend your arms and touch oppisite walls in your "shack" (The smallest room in the motor home) ... BIG not good.. When you drive a gasser, Heavy not good either. Though I truly would like a couple of Ameritron (if I've not misspelled it) products I've seen)

Oh, and GONGRADULATIONS grandpa

Enjoy the manual.. As I said, I keep one on both this comuter's HD and the shack computer's HD cause... Well, I have a fairly steep learning curve and I occasionally need the manual still (2 years later)

Oh, HIGHLIGHT the section on resetting... There are two "Resets" one resets the CPU but leaves the memory alone.. The other clears memory

Highlight the 1st when you get a paper copy
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
One Country Boy

Thanks again John. Quickly going through the manual on the TS2000. That rig has a lot of "bells and whistles". Nice features !!! I'm sold on it. The least expensive I've found it is a little over $1,300. Not sure what the shipping was. I've got it bookmarked somewhere.

I've only run one amp in the past. A pair of 572B's in a Yeasu FL-2100F. Never used it a lot. I agree, they are bulky and heavy. I like to hang out on 75 and 40 meters, listening mostly. Never been much for chasing DX. If you're going to get on 75 in the evenings with a group, it's ashame but an amp is almost a necessity to hang in there with the "Big Boys".

I'm going to put the new radio and amp in the stickhouse. I've got a TS50 in the 5'er right now. It's been around awhile. I'm going to move the TS-450s out of the stickhouse to use in the 5'er. I would never attempt running an amp in the RV, for the reasons you mentioned and I can imagine the RF problems in a campground. I would be banned from the places we enjoy visiting.The TS-450 should workout nicely in the RV.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
wa8yxm

Well.. I just came back in the house.. Since the MH is more or less parked (save for a couple of fuel runs to fill the tank) for the winter I decided to run a CAT-5 line out to it from the switch in the basement.. There are several reasons for this. Not all yet implemented.

However several things happened. 2 suprising

One, When I put the first cable end on the wire,,, It showed good on all but one wire (#8 as it turns out)

When I put the 2nd on #'s 7 and 8 showed bad

You onlyuse 1-6, are safety grounds (as are 2 of the other wires)

So the cable worked.. THE FIRST TIME

Never had that happen before

And while downloading updates to the shack computer I had a nice 80 mtr chat with ham in ohio.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
One Country Boy

Default Kenwood TS2000

UPS delivered the new TS2000 this afternoon. HRO (Atlanta) had a sale going on. Probably a good thing I put it off a few weeks. Maybe I'll get it on the air tomorrow. Had to take care of getting air bags installed on the truck today. The radio waits but the truck rides much better. I think I'm going to enjoy this new radio. 'Preeciate you guys helping me make my choice.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
TXiceman

Jim, if you get tired of the new Kenwood, you can mail it to me....I'll glady pay you fro the freight!

Contrats Gramps...Do you realize that you are now married to a Granny....(presume you are married).

I use an FT897D from my truck in the trailer as well.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
wa8yxm

I know that "Give me a call" feeling

here are a couple more links (You can often find me on these links... sort of)

http://www.wssbn.org

http://www.hamdata.com/bc.html
Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
One Country Boy

Ken, I'll keep you in mind about the new rig. Hi Hi.... Thanks for the congrats on the new grand. Got to see him for a few minutes today. I've had a cold so had to keep away awhile. That was a bummer.

One of those links you sent John, I could not connect to. I'll try again later.

Lot of buttons on the new rig. Will take awhile to get familiar with it. Seems to be very user friendly though.

Got to head to bed, up too late playing radio.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
One Country Boy

Default Kenwood MC-60a mod ?

I'm enjoying the new TS2000. I bought an MC60 with it and it's got audio problems. I'm told it sounds like rf getting into the audio. I put my old MC50 on and still the same problem. Changing to the hand mic, that came with the radio, clears it up.

I've been told by a couple of guys, also running the TS2000 and MC60, there is a mod for the MC60. It needs additional grounding. Anyone heard of this problem ? I don't understand Kenwood selling this popular desk microphone with a known problem. It works fine on the FM side, just flakey on SSB.