Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Default ALL AMATEURS: 70 CM Band is SAFE from Federal takeover !

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Congressman King said that he fully understands and appreciates the importance of Ham Radio and the service it provides to the community, and that he would see to the modification of the bill so that the 420 - 440 MHz band would be excluded from the spectrum to be auctioned. The Congressman went on to explain that it was never his intention to remove the 70 centimeter band from Amateur use. He said to get the word out to the Ham Radio community that 70 centimeters is not in jeopardy,"

Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Great news Jim! Thanks for posting. Got it on FB and Twittwer too.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Great news, However Congressman King, by himself, can not do too much, takes a few others to join in with him.. And even if that specific threat is quashed, there is still that recon-robot that you see sometimes in the TV show Flashpoint the company with the support of APCO (Assoication of Police or Professional Communications Officers) which my boss wished me to join (Glad I did not) is supporting. it transmits smack in the 70cm band as well.. It needs to be quashed. But the ARRL is fighting that one since the device, as presented, is illegal.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
One Country Boy

That's very true John, however I'm in hopes that this does it with King. I've liked other things he has proposed in Congress and things that he has said. It rather surprised me when he came up with this. Most of these guys have no idea what they are getting into when they back one of these bills.

I'm getting into politics and that's a "no no" here. Sometimes awfully hard to avoid.

Have a good day all.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

That is true, That is why the ARRL is so important to us, They sponsor the lobbyist who explains it to them and unlike so many others who claim to compete, they actually do help to keep our spectrum ours.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is true, That is why the ARRL is so important to us, They sponsor the lobbyist who explains it to them and unlike so many others who claim to compete, they actually do help to keep our spectrum ours.

True and that's the main reason I remain a member. Some things I wish they would change and some things I totally disagree on but overall they do help the amateur community out big time.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
wa8yxm

I once wrote a letter to them talking about other letters they published with the theme of either "Cancel my membership" or "Do not renew"

Many reasons were given,, I sampled a few and responded to them

"$xx.yy is too much for must a magazine" Ur, it's not just a magazine it's your voice in Washington DC it's, well much more.. And what's worse Playboy is somewhat more expensive and has very little if anything of interest to the serious electronics/radio expirmenter (though it does have other attractions)

I don't like the ARRL's stand on _______.

This poor guy as not only missed the boat, he's having trouble finding the water. If you don't like what the ARRL is doing don't quit, If you quite and all those who agree with you quit you will NEVER like what they are doing because only those who like what you don't will be left to vote for directors. So don't quit or your voice will never be heard.. Better than quiting, RUN FOR DIRECTOR, then people can complain about the job YOU are doing (ok, I did not say that last)

Yes, I do not always agree, but BPL sort of died, and this 70cm threat is fading fast, and another one is in serious trouble and we have the ARRL to thank for most all of that.

Oh the other reason: Too many non-construction/review articles in QST.. Well they have to report contest results somewhere, and minutes of the meetings and things like that.. And at the time that was the only place (Today some of that has been moved to the web)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
TXiceman

And when di you find an offical in DC that you could believe one word they said.

ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Yes, there are several officials in D.C. who you can believe. under some conditions.

Law Enforcement Officers are government officials and when they say: "You have the right to remain silent" You can, in fact, believe them.

However when you speak of the ELECTED officials (Congress critters for example) They really need to hear that phrase.... Well.. Most of them need to have their finances exposed followed by the recitation of that believable phrase by a Law Enforcement officer. Conspiricy to defraud, acceptance of bribes, and a few other related charges are also words that surround that believable phrase.

Still.. There are a lot of folks out there eying our spectrum covetously (Though shall not covet your neighbor's spectrum) We dodge one bullet, there are 5 more in the revolver and 15 more in the semi-auto's clip on the other hip.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
W5DOK
Old Member

The old adage "if his lips are moving, he's lying" is certainly true of most of our elected representatives.

Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
wa8yxm

The good news is a Senate bill has been introduced (1040 I beileve) which is a "Companion" bill, it has most of the features of the offensive house bill save one.

It does not in any way threaten our frequencies. It suggests other frequencies which are not of interest to us.

I do not recall all the senators who signed on but John McCain was one.. Several co-sponsors were listed. More info at www.arrl.org of course.