Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
jagco

Smile HF Tomorrow

If all goes well, I will be back on HF, tomorrow. My buddy and elmer, NR9A, is coming up and helping finish the installation of my MFJ-1798. I traded some old rifles for a Kenwood TS-680S a while back and tried to put up the antenna, then. Well it turned out it was missing a piece. Called MFJ, and that jumped right on sending me the part. The only problem was they sent me the wrong part. So, I called them again. I now have the right part, but ended up needing stents put in my heart, the first part of February. I think I finally have all my ducks in a row, so hopefully, this will happen tomorrow. After that, maybe we'll try to sked something with some of ya
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Snell

Wait until you hear the bands! The ARRL International DX contest started at 19:00 EST and they are jumping. You'll have lots of opportunities to make contacts, albeit, brief ones this weekend. Just give a signal report and your state and you're good to go. Enjoy and welcome back. (by the way, them stents are a pain ain't they? Got one myself)

Art
Snell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
jagco

Well, we got up. It took some time to tune all the elements, but it's good. My first contact was Dominican Republic, so I was happy with that. I'm exhausted and in a lot of pain (Diabetic neuropathy), so I'm going to bed. More fun tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default HF tomorrow...

Just had my second stent proceedure in a month. Now have a total of 9. one last year, 5 in January and now 3 more. getti'n old ain't for sissies...
Good Luck with your proceedures ( radio and rehab! )

73' John / Canyon Lake Texas in the Winnebago
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
jagco

15M was wide open today for the contest. I made quite a few contacts into the Carribean and South America. I had forgotten how much fun HF could be.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
TXiceman

Hope you get the rig working. I was on foe a while Saturday afternoon and heard a few really obnoxious operators trying to make contacts. WHat has happened to the rules and common manners?

A station is Central America was trying calling CQ and handling things well by call all of the 0 stations and then 1, 2, 3....and then over again. One fellow in the 2 area got really obnoxious when he went to 3's and would not answer him....cussing and the whole thing. I wish I had noted his call sign. With that kind of attitude, I would never have acknowledged his call.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
jagco

No, I wouldn't have acknowledged him, either!!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
jagco

Made contacts in Oregon, Washington, and Montana over the last couple days. Waiting for my new tuner, so I can do some work on 80M.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
w6pea

That makes me want to put my High Sierra Sidekick back up tomorrow. We have been out of town on business and I took the antenna down, It's mounted on a portable tripod. So I now have a project for tomorrow.

Need to go to the candy store and buy another radio for the base. I am going to mount the radio I use at home in the RV.
Anyone been using a IC-7000 or a IC-718 ? I am now using a IC-706MKIIG for my base station, but it's kind of a pain in the back side to move it back and forth to the RV, But then again having a radio sit in the RV and not using it for months at a time is also a waste.
While we were on our trip I made many contacts on 20m and 40m from my mobile in my P/U. My wife asked why I don't use the rig in the P/U more than I use the 2m/70cm radio. So I started using the 706 for the entire trip.

73 Pat w6pea
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote