Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default New rules coming from the FCC

If you are a member of ARRL you will have already received the email about FCC rules changes.
For those that are not ARRL members here is the short side of the message.

Hams that were General or Extra license holders and let them expire there will be an opportunity to regain the license even after the 2 year grant period has expired. There was no mention of Advanced license holders so I don't know how this would affect them. Since the explanation was general and not in depth as to how the mechanics of it will be administered I will wait to see what the ARRL, W5YI and Cavec will handle it.

The only stipulation to the reinstatement of a license will be that they will have to take and pass the Tech License exam before it is granted. Since the individual VE's will not have access to the database of expired licenses at a test session it will be up to the FCC to determine if the license will be reinstated.

A couple rule requests that failed were: Reduce the minimum number of VE's at a test session from 3 to 2. I was glad to see that failed. The other had to do with remote test sessions which involved places where the distance to take an exam was a hindrance as would be possible in Alaska or other less inhabited areas.

As for past expired licenses, I was not in favor of that mainly because I think that if a license holder didn't renew even after a 2 year grace period that would indicate to me that the license holder was no longer interested in the hobby. I think that changes of technology in radio communications warrant someone who is not active to be recertified but I guess that wasn't a consideration.

It may help some people like one that we tested at the hamfest last Saturday who had held a General license and let it expire. He did take the Tech license exam and passed so I guess when the rule takes effect he can request reinstatement of his past license. I have also tested at least one person that had held an Extra license and let it expire but has since got it back after retesting.

The new ruling will take affect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register which will probably be some time this week.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote