Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Tires and axle ratios... what I learned about towing

Some time back, oh about 30,000 miles ago or so, I bought a nice set of Cooper 265/70 r70 LT tires for the F150. At the time I could not afford Michelins. I saved some money and got a slightly taller tire at 31.6 inches as opposed to the 30.1 inch 255/65 r17 factory originals.

The ride was a bit truckish, but this is a truck, these are truck tires, the load rating is 3100 pounds (up from 2200) and the highway MPG seem a little better.

Until it's time to tow the 5th wheel. After a few trips I begin to ponder what happened to my adequate tow vehicle which had become such a gutless wonder.

Much time and miles pass, and noting the wear on the Coopers, I begin to shop for tires and come across one of those tire size vs axle ratio calculators. Plugging in the numbers I feel sick. What was a 3.55 axle (adequate but not miraculous) was performing about 3.35.

Just from going from 30.1 to 31.6 inches. 1.5 inch taller. That's all.

What I learned about towing... You can build a truck for mileage, for comfort, daily driver. You can make a mudder truck with 3 feet of ground clearance and 36" rims. And you can compromise between any of these.

But if you are going to optimize for towing at or near your rated capacity, as in towing campers with 1/2 ton trucks, you have to optimize for towing alone and let the rest of it slide.

So in February my employer has promised a large profit sharing check. Last year was 2 months pay. This year is supposed to be bigger. So I'm going to do some stuff to the truck...

Cold air intake
Bigger exhaust
Deeper tranny pan (coolers are already installed)
Bilstein shocks
Switching to 3.73 gears

and back to the 255/65 r70 Michelins that came on it in the first place. The ride and towing should both improve.

I learn slow sometimes, but I learn.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote