Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK
Question MFJ-1796 Multiband Vertical - Any comments?

A friend is looking to get the MFJ-1796 Multiband Vertical. She is a new General and is looking for a starter antenna that will allowher to operate HF using a Yeasu FT897D with an LDG897 auto tuner. The antenna doesn't require radials and will be mounted about 15' in the air. Her lot is not condusive to wire antennas.

Here is the write up from MFJ and a small photo:

Only 12 feet high and has a tiny 24 inch footprint! Mount anywhere -- ground level to tower top -- apartments, small lots, trailers. Perfect for vacations, field day, DXpedition, camping.
Efficient end-loading, no lossy traps. Entire length is always radiating. Full size halfwave on 2/6 Meters. High power air-wound choke balun eliminates feedline radiation. Adjusting 1 band has minimum effect on others.
Automatic bandswitching, low radiation angle, omnidirectional, handles 1500 watts PEP. Goes together in an afternoon.

Anyone ever use one? Any comments, ideas, etc?
Thanks
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I have seen a few on motorhome ladders and we used one at field day. One of the better feild day antennas we had.

I have used Butternut verticals with great satisfaction. Taller, and works better with radials or at least multiple ground rods driven deep. Also more money and hassle. As with all things you get out what you put in. Check those out as well.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
N7OQ

I have a Hygain 14AVQ that I have been using sense 1978 and have used in many different configurations, Ground mounted roof mounted, mounted on top of the Barracks, with and without radials. Great antenna but it worked the best mounted in the roof with radials. When I ground mounted it without radials I got a perfect SWR on all bands and as far as the radio was concerned everything was good but I could hardly get out across the street.

A new ham here just bought a so called radial free vertical antenna and was very disappointed with it. He now has a g5rv up and loves it, the vertical he had did say to get best output use radials. If it were me I would do some research on this antenna on the web, is sounds great, small size, no radials, many bands. But it might be one of those to good to be true things. With my friend he spent a lot of money for a new HF rig, new antenna, and accessories, sets it all up and no one can here him, he was so disappointed. I think he sold the vertical antenna.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm
Default Multi Band Verticles

I use, among other antennas, a Hustler 4BTV on my motorhome. The antenna is mounted to a Draw Tight bicycle carrier, it does require radials and in a manner of speaking I use one (the frame of the coach) The antenna is fed by a KAT-1 Automatic tuner (I know they say don't use a tuner but in this case the tuner is "marine grade" and is mounted at the base of the antenna)

Results.. On 80, spotty, It has worked about 1/2 as well as my 100' long wire (Fed by the same tuner) but not always... On 40.. Well, worked just fine last night I have no porblem with multi-band verticles

However if it's end loaded, as that one is (I left the capacity hat off on the 4BTV replacing it with base loading via the KAT-1) storage can be an issue... However someone recently posted or published (QST I think) an article on modifying an antenna for portable use. Looked interesting,, The capacity hat "Fingers" were bent 90 degrees and are rotated either "Flat" for operation or parallel to the mast for storage.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I use, among other antennas, a Hustler 4BTV on my motorhome. The antenna is mounted to a Draw Tight bicycle carrier, it does require radials and in a manner of speaking I use one (the frame of the coach) The antenna is fed by a KAT-1 Automatic tuner (I know they say don't use a tuner but in this case the tuner is "marine grade" and is mounted at the base of the antenna)

Results.. On 80, spotty, It has worked about 1/2 as well as my 100' long wire (Fed by the same tuner) but not always... On 40.. Well, worked just fine last night I have no porblem with multi-band verticles

However if it's end loaded, as that one is (I left the capacity hat off on the 4BTV replacing it with base loading via the KAT-1) storage can be an issue... However someone recently posted or published (QST I think) an article on modifying an antenna for portable use. Looked interesting,, The capacity hat "Fingers" were bent 90 degrees and are rotated either "Flat" for operation or parallel to the mast for storage.
I saw the same article and thought it was a need idea, but I think that was a rotatable Dipole not vertical.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
TXiceman

I had a Hustler that ssupposedly did not require radials. To get it to half way work I put down radials and was never happy with it. I finally bought a Butternut HF9v and put down 12-30' long radials and it owrks great.

I have heard of others that are not satisified with the no radial verticals.

One fellow I know uses a High Sierra screw driver vertical with a few radials set out when he is out in the RV. I use a 20/40m inverted V dipole on a fiber glass push up pole...22' high and about 66' across.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
jagco

I have the MFJ-1798. It is very similar with something extra, but I do not remember what. Anyway, I do use a tuner, but it does very well on all bands listed. I have it mounted to the back of my house at about 15' and do not use radials. It was a lot of work to put together, but once it was up, it works great.

It gets two thumbs up from me.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
WA8SHC

I've used a 1796 for the past 11 yrs at our campground during the summer
It works very well
I never did 'prune' the cap hat spokes, and just use an LDG Mp-11AT tuner w/ my FT-897. That way I also pick up 17M(xmit) & 80M (just to listen)
It's mounted abt 8-9' above ground w/ 2 guys to the deck railing

Another antenna for you friend to consider is the GAP Eagle (40-10m) or Titan(80-10m)
I've got an Eagle @ the home QTH mounted 7' above ground w/ no guys for 13 yrs
Another great antenna that works very well
JMHO
73s Denny
WA8SHC is offline   Reply With Quote