Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
w7wv

Default Gas prices? Expert says 12-15 per? Wow!

A so called expert this AM on the Today Show says we can expect $12-15 per gallon for gas?
Instead of bank robberies it will be filling stations or hi jacking of tankers?
Where is all of this going to end? So many are really hurting with the increases in prices for everything.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
W6DCS

Tanker hi-jackings - reminds me of the 70's. At some point it will be 12-15 a gallon, the question is when, could be in the next few years, could take a few decades. Depends on supply/demand, and if someone finally decides to address the issue, and come up with an alternative that is cost effective and works. Fuel is only one of many products made from crude, so if it does increase, most other products will increase because of the fuel to deliver it, fuel used to manufacture it, and of course the packaging, and if any of the contents of the actual item contain a by-product.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

On the way home from work I noted cars lined up in gas stations with prices at $4.05 for regular. Guess they figured the $12 prices would be here in the next day or two. Sure am glad I have a carpool buddy!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
N7OQ

Long before it got to this price I would have build a still and would have converted my automobiles over to alcohol. I would only be able to camp with in the distance a tank full would get me there and back. Sure glad I work close to home now.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
KB5LJE

Well my office is across the hall from my bed, The wife is out of work in 3 months, My golf cart can make it the grocery store and back on a full charge.

Let the sad times begin and I will save the gas for camping.

Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
w7wv

A friend just reported Diesel fuel is $5.05 at Clear Lake, CA where he just pulled in for a long weekend.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Vette Racer

You know, I probably shouldn't feel this way (be careful what you wish for and all that) but right now I'd just as soon see it go all the way up to where ever, 20-30??? let this country and the politicians get a taste of things that would be a lot worse than the 20's depression ever thought about being. Then thing's might come back down to reality. I guess you can tell, I'm fed up!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
You know, I probably shouldn't feel this way (be careful what you wish for and all that) but right now I'd just as soon see it go all the way up to where ever, 20-30??? let this country and the politicians get a taste of things that would be a lot worse than the 20's depression ever thought about being. Then thing's might come back down to reality. I guess you can tell, I'm fed up!!!
Do you really wish that much suffering on this nation? I would not wish this on any nation.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
w7wv

I would not want to.
My Father and Mother both lived through it as farming families and in some ways being on family farms they had it better than most.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Vette Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7OQ View Post
Do you really wish that much suffering on this nation? I would not wish this on any nation.
You know, I probably don't, but then, I'm sick of all this run up in prices and something has to change, this cannot go on! Either inflation has to follow with income increases or something else has to happen. It cannot continue to go the way it is now. Most of us working people have to keep ourselves in somewhat equal conditions or else.

I guess on the other side, we can spend more time at home talking on our radio's, better get that base station ready and forget the mobile!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
w7wv

Hey the prices are not helping those of us that are retired on fixed incomes either.
I suppose that someone has enough money that this rapid inflation for everything is not hurting them but I don't run in those circles so I don't know any.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
N7OQ

It has changed our plans, we have dropped a long trip for more shorter trips this year. The thing that worries me the most is not how much I have to pay for gas,(I can adjust for that ) but how much the truckers have to pay for Diesel. Even if you ride a bike and don't use any gas at all you will still pay with higher, groceries, TV's, radios, clothes etc etc. We should have gotten off this oil thing in the 70's when we had the first fake oil shortage. I really hope we all weather this storm and things get better soon. I'm totally ready for a new source of fuel.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
Richard Stouffer

OK, here’s what I think:
There is a price level at which dramatic changes in consumption will begin significantly suppressing demand. I don’t know what that number is. We have already cut back on RV trips and we bought a hybrid in January. But that’s not the type of change I’m talking about.
Maybe at $10 a gallon I mothball the RV and make do with one car instead of two and only use it when I can’t get where I’m going without mass transportation. Maybe trucking companies will piggyback everything when diesel hit $10 and only use their trucks for local delivery.
But even if that happens all over the U.S. and we cut consumption by 50% it probably won’t be enough. Foreign countries will have to reach the point where they stop subsidizing the cost of oil for their citizens. When that, and a lot of other sensible conservation and good fiscal policy decision are made, we will see the influence of reduced demand.
That’s one way it could happen, but there is also the chance that somewhere in the not too distant future average investors begin thinking that oil futures are a great way to get rich quick. When everybody starts to believe that, and we all bet the majority of our 401K’s on oil futures, two things will happen. First, there will be a significant, short term increase in the price of oil futures. Then the second phase begins: the speculators who started the run up start to harvest their yields by dumping everything they have into the 401K market. When the 401K investors realize what’s happening they panic and oil futures take a precipitous drop to say $8.00 a barrel. It will make the dot com bust look like a picnic.
So, do what you can to conserve, but also tell everybody you know to buy oil futures.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #14
W6DCS

The high prices don't help anyone. Something needs to be done. We can build all the new refineries we want, drill anywhere there is oil to be found, but at some point our kids or grandkids will be in the same boat we are in now. We need to have an Energy Plan that includes short term and long term fixes. One of the biggest problems with oil prices today is how much they are affected by politics, weather, and demand. It is sad to think crude can jump $1.00 a barrel because someone used the decorator soap in the bathroom instead of the regular bar under the sink.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
Old 05-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
radiow6lar

Default Best we can do for now.

The wife and I spent last weekend in the local mountains. Elevation at 6800 ft and with our Golden Passport it was dry camping at $10 per night. I don't mind it a bit as its only about 35 minutes from home. We stayed 4 nights and went over to Big Bear Lake three times. There is water and with my solar and EU2000 we don't hurt for power. Gas for the total trip cost me about $75. The wife asked me how bad that was I said compared to driving and staying in a Motel plus food it was a bargain. So there ya go. Looks like we will be going mostly local most of the rest of this year.

I do have one good thing to happen and that is I was moved at work closer to home. I had been paying about $80 per week for gas to get there. Now I pick up a company truck less than a mile away. But I get to ride my restored 1976 Vespa scooter to work at 85 mpg. So for that I can say to the oil companies... I will be taking it along on trips to do the run arounds too. Every little bit helps I guess..

Larry
2004 F-150 XL Supercab HD
2006 Aljo 225LT, Solar Powered
Me: 43 1/2 years GTE (Verizon)
Wife: RN and 45 years putting up with Me!

CQ CQ CQ Ain't life Grand!
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #16
w7wv

Likewise our full timing plans do not call to travel everyday or in long segments. We may only cover 300-500 miles and then stop and stay a a month or more at a time.
Our tow car gets 35-40 reliably so we should be fine.
Yes the budget for fuel has to go up in planning but considering all the other items that have gone up too fuel is just part the total picture.
I can remember years ago planning on full timing in retirement. We estimated then that fuel could hit $1.50 per gallon while we were on the road.
Times are changing! And it's like anything else in life we just have to make adjustments.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
wana camp

One thought here. If we see (4-5 or 8) oil, with the 08-09 heating season, there wont be a Christmas! or any thing else. I will be buying food and heating fuel ONLY. This will be a Third world Country!
Sorry, but some thing needs to change soon or else.
wana camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
W6DCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana camp View Post
One thought here. If we see (4-5 or 8) oil, with the 08-09 heating season, there wont be a Christmas! or any thing else. I will be buying food and heating fuel ONLY. This will be a Third world Country!
Sorry, but some thing needs to change soon or else.
There are some that did that last winter, and will probably have be choosing between warmth and heating fuel this winter and a meal. If you think the economy is bad now, wait until that happens. Wages are not keeping up with the increases in what we pay for day to day needs.
I am not on a fixed budget, but I am also salaried so there is no overtime. I know what the DW and I make, and we are in the ever shrinking middle class. To go where we wanted to we budgeted $5, then $6 bucks a gallon for fuel this year, but are starting to look at next year and what it might be then. For those that say sell the RV, take a plane, rent a car, and get a room, all of those are increasing also as their costs have skyrocketed. I will keep RV'ing, but next year probably closer to home, longer stays, less driving, and try to make adjustments in the budget to accommodate the soaring fuel costs.
I was wanting an MKIIG this year, but won't be buying one. I will keep using the radios in my sig until they die, then look for a used rig to replace it with.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
Old 05-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #19
Radio
Administrator

You guys have been great about keeping politics out of this thread.

What a wonderful bunch we have at ORR.net!

Carry on!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
w7wv

You know when the first gas crisis hit in my life in the 1970s I took a big loss on our first MH that was about 2 years old.
Seems to me that when gas went up some $.35 we sold it.
The problem is that we like RVing and have always found a way to do it even if it meant sacrificing something else.
We are selling our home that we set up for our retirement so we can travel full time when it does sell.
To me that's a pretty heavy sacrifice to make but we have to do it to accomplish our goals.