Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
KB5LJE

Default Looking for an elmer - psk 31

I am really interested in some of the newer technology i.e. psk 31

Due to illness I am unable to

1. spend no money fixed income now
2. read and comprehend/retain anything as chemo has killed two many brain cells for me to focus.

Now I really want to play with psk 31 and have no clue what to do.

equipment available
computer
kenwood ts 2000
kenwood tm d-710
icom v8000

what shall a poor man do
Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Mike,
1. Download DigiPan from www.digipan.net
2. Connect radio speaker or earphone jack to mic in on PC.
3. Tune to one of the many psk freq's on HF
7035.15 for region 1 and region 3, and 7080.15 for region 2 *
21080.150 (although most activity can be found 10 kHz lower)
4. Enjoy listening and setting up to recieve PSK31.

To xmit, you will need some sort of interface to send the speaker out of your PC to your Mic or data input on the radio and that will key the PTT line. There are units for sale out there that interface to most radios and many DIY circuits that can be found on the web. I am by no means an expert on this, but have used it once in a while.
Let us know your progress Mike.
73 and Merry Christmas!
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

How can we help you.. I have 3 software packages that I can use for PSK-31 I will run down them and list a few features and difference

All 3 are Donation ware. donation optional. (In short the price is what you can afford)

All 3 either include a log book function, or interface to an external log, or both, and YP-LOG is also donation ware.

Now the differences:

Hamscope can monitor one or two streams of data, YOU choose the streams, it has lots of user definable "Macors' (for example my QTH is such a macro) and features. Seems to do a decent job of decoding, and the full package includes the abiltiy to do PSK-31 QPSK, RTTY CW, MFSK and Packet, some are done via external programs. (Also free or included)

DIGIPAN. Does not have as many modes (won't do MFSK for example Does do Pactor) But the "Multi channel" window can monitor up to 26 streams at one time.. AND.. Optionally (You set it up) Highlight folks calling CQ or CQ DX. Very nice

Both programs also measure the other stations IMD for you (you want a minus sign followed by a big number, -20 is very good, but the larger the absolute value the better)

Ham Radio Delux is now distributed with Digital-Master 780.

now this program does a whole lot of modes, including Olivia and Throb, and I"m told (But have yet to figure out) that it can send a "Mode ID" at the start of a transmission to allow other copies of itself to auto-select the mode (I'm working on that, I mean I only installed it Sunday)

It adds Slow Scan Television to your choice of communications as well.. I have already received a few SSTV transmissions. (Have not attempted transmit yet)

Of the 3 I like Hamscope best however the bias on this is that it is the first one I tried, and I got used to it.. Digiapan is not a whole lot different, but enough so that I use it for CQ spotting

Oh, Ham Radio Delux has a "Super Browser" as well (They call the PSK-31 window a "Browser") which like Digipan can monitor several PSK-31 transmissions at one time.

Now, operation.... You need software on the computer and an interface, The instructions that come with Digital Master 780 (or Ham Radio Delux, I'm not sure which) tell you how to build an adapter almost exactly like the one I designed and use (Some minor differences) i have one suggestion and that's to put a toggle switch in the PUSH TO TALK line so you can disable PTT.

(NOTE to hardware manufactueres and designers.. Please consider that inhibit switch)

I have one USB-RS-232 adapter that defaults in the "Transmit" position so I need to switch off whenever I boot my computer.

Or you can buy one anywhere from too much to way way too much in my not very humble opinion (My budget makes yours look big)

Once it is interfaced to the radio you need to adjust your audio out on the computer, or audion in on the radio (one nice thing about a kenwood TS-2000 is that it has two independent audio in's one front, one back, and the PTT selects them (it has two PTT's too) and they each have their own "mic Gain" "knobs" (Adjustments)

YOu want to set it so you get NO ALC, and you want to limit power on your transmitter to, at the most 1/2 of it's rating (50 watts on the TS-2000, I normally aim for 30% or 30 watts)

That is really about it. QSOing is more or less normal "Chat" if you are a rag chewer. And "Consest normal" if you are a contester.

A lot of the "Administrative" stuff such as logging is done by the program.. I just click on one button to log the contact (Well a bit more since I'm a mobile/portable and I type in my QTH)

I can tell you this.. .It is a lot of fun.. I kind of feel like the kid in the candy store

Oh,, Radio settings.. Some software (Digital master) will suggest frequencies on the control panel, the rest in the HELP user's manual but 7.035 is a good starting point most evenings.

USB please, disable noise reduction and set your audio filters to "Barn Door" (full open) for the widest possible bandwith.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
k8zfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have one USB-RS-232 adapter that defaults in the "Transmit" position so I need to switch off whenever I boot my computer.
just rec'd my 232-usb adapter & have been fiddling with it to get to work with digi-pan....any thoughts on what i should be doing?

receive is working aok, but i'm not keying the tx (ic-703+) & using simple interface card built in 2000.

thanks in advance for any comments you all may have
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
KF5BET

K7AGE has a great little tutorial on youtube. I have watched all of them and they are pretty informative. Haven't worked it yet, but have it on my to do list!!

Hope this helps.

73's
Galen
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
KF5BET

Forgot to mention:

Small Wonder Labs has a really nice kit for psk. A guy in our local club has one and it works well.

http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/

Galen
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
One Country Boy

Mike,

I bought the SignaLink interface awhile back. Compact, easy to hook up and works very good. It cost me about $100 at the time. As far as interfaces go, that's about the least expensive unless you purchase a kit I guess.

Merry Christmas. Like Andy said, keep us posted on your condition please.

Jim

Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
k8zfj

Happy Holidays All...and great to see all the psk topics; recently while doing some "cleaning out" i found a homebrew simple psk interface which was made back in 2000 & decided to give psk another whirl.
But, i noticed that the rs232 wouldnt fit anywhere, anymore
'hopefully the 232-usb converter i ordered will work when it arrives.

thanks for the hamscope & other new info, as digipan is only software i've used to date.

73's

shud be fun to play psk again
Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

What RS-232 adapter do you have. Now I have 3 different RS_232 adapters.. One is a "Prolific" chip set (actually 2 of 'em are but one died) this will key the PTT on my TS_2000 (Via an interface as described in Ham Radio Delux documentation) but it won't download or upload readings from the radio.. It will also read my GPS (But thankfully does not need to upload) it won't uplaod to any hardware I have. voltages are all wrong it seems.

A Belikin will read the frequency from the TS-2000, but won't upload from the Kenwood memory manager

I got one more interface.. Hold on a sec: Sorry don't have the product drive package where I can find it... Ah there it is.. Look at the very last item listed on this page RTS-3 I think it is called:

http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/othercables_template.cfm#

This product works. period, 100% with everything I own

now.. I run a kenwood.. It is switched to transmit by a simple switch closure to ground (In my case an opto-isolator) which is powered by the RS-232 adapter.

I think the Icom is commanded to go to transmit via a serial port caommand (RS-232) (But I'm not sure since I don't have one)

If what I think is correct.. Then using a 100% compliant RS-232 adapter is the only way.. You can use non-complant to key a simpley PTT switch like I do on the Kenwood, but if you do that you can't use that port for data.

I very strongly suspect that is the problem.

Oh, the RTS-3 also read/wrights to my FT-51r, the others will not.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
k8zfj

I recently purchased one of these serial to usb converters: http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_rs232usbcbeconxp.cfm

I've verified the interface still works on my desktop while using digipan

The problem, is when going thu the serial - usb converter, the radio wont transmit. Maybe i need to spend more than 6 bucks for a converter !

The driver software that came with the usb-serial converter loads Aok & I can specify a com port ok on laptop, when it
recognizes the "new hardware".
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
wa8yxm

To K8ZFJ.. There are, (I think I said this) several different RS-232/USB adapters. IN fact I found one that goes the other way too.

Of the 3 (really 4 but two are the same) I have, ONE is receive only. Using YP-Log the radio won't even respond to a request for the frequency

Another will manage that, (YP Log will diplay the frequency and control some other stuff) but the Kenwood memory manager won't download the radio

And the good one from RT Industries works like a charm... It is the only one I"ve seen that works 100% of the time.

The problem is simply this.. USB power is +5V and Ground. (0volt)

RS-232 uses both negative and positive voltages and greater than 5 volt as well.. So unless the adapter has the proper voltage converters built in it may or may not work.. Receive nearly always works.

I would look to your RS-232 adapter..

In looking over some other things on the net I cam across a company that sells a single USB_dongle type RS-232 adapter that has two cables coming out of it.. I may buy this toy.. (If that is I ever have spare money) one cable goes to the Kenwood RS-232 port to receive from and send commands to the radio

The other goes to the aux connector where you have the rear panel PTT, I hope the plug has audio jacks or pass through.

Alas, I don't have the URL for that one handy
Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
KB5LJE

Kicking this back up as I am now working on what I need to do

Guess I will beg for a signal link USB as I could never solder now with this neuropaTHY

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
One Country Boy

Good luck with it Mike. Let us know when you are in operation. I've used it a little but not much.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
AE5BI

I had a very hard time getting my TS2000 to do psk. The darn thing is just too complicated. I took some notes and have a drawing on how I connect it. PM me with your email if you still need info. I apologize that my notes are substandard and I failed to record the menu settings. I could always send my saved menu settings if you have the interface software for the TS2000 from Kenwood (free). Let me know.

I hope the chemo is doing some good and not just harm.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
KB5LJE

pm sent
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE5BI View Post
I had a very hard time getting my TS2000 to do psk. The darn thing is just too complicated. I took some notes and have a drawing on how I connect it. PM me with your email if you still need info. I apologize that my notes are substandard and I failed to record the menu settings. I could always send my saved menu settings if you have the interface software for the TS2000 from Kenwood (free). Let me know.

I hope the chemo is doing some good and not just harm.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
wa8yxm

Ok, what radio do you have?

I have a Kenwood TS-2000 and if I use the aux jack on the back to input the audio from the computer (Which is the way to do it) and use the SERIAL command (CAT command) for transmit.. It does not work (That activates the front panel microphone)

I have to use a second RS-232 converter (Prolific chips are cheap and work well here) to light the LED half of an opto-isolator I built, the Opto-transistor half takes the AUX-Jack PTT line to ground via a switch (in case I wish to disable it) and works great
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
KB5LJE

i do have the ts2000 and got a deal on a used rigblaster. Will be working on it in a few hours again. For some reason digipan is telling me "sound card not found"

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok, what radio do you have?

I have a Kenwood TS-2000 and if I use the aux jack on the back to input the audio from the computer (Which is the way to do it) and use the SERIAL command (CAT command) for transmit.. It does not work (That activates the front panel microphone)

I have to use a second RS-232 converter (Prolific chips are cheap and work well here) to light the LED half of an opto-isolator I built, the Opto-transistor half takes the AUX-Jack PTT line to ground via a switch (in case I wish to disable it) and works great
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #18
Andy N1ORK

OK, here goes...
Our EOC uses TS-2000s and we want to do psk-31. Could someone post a schematic on the hook up? We have the 13 pin DIN cables for the AUX2 port and RS-232 cables to connect to the PC. We are trying to do the connection without having to buy external adapters like the Buxcom, SignaLink or RigBlasters.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
wa8yxm

The schematic of the hook up to the TS-2000 is fairly simple.

I will describe it as best I can (Which should be rather good)

On the back are two AUX connectors, one has audio in, audio out PTT and a few other thigns, we are only interested in the main band audio out, audio (mic) in PTT and ground, those are the only lines we will use, your owner's manual will give you the pin-out for that connector

Audio out (Main band) goes to a transformer 1:1 (Radio Shack) and from there to the computer's sound card LINE IN or MIC in (Whichever works best)

Audio out from the computer.. I took one channel to ground via an 8 ohm resistor the other goes via an 8-ohm L-pad to a 2nd 1:1 transformer and then on to the MIC-in... Optionally you may add a capacitor to help balance tone (you would like a very flat response so the power remains the same no matter where in the passband you are)

An quality RS-232 adapter (In my case an RTS-3 from RT industries) goes to the computer's RS-232 port If your computer has a RS-232 serial port you can skip this.

A 2nd RS-232 adapter (Prolific is good here) the CTS line feeds a 12 volt diode indicator array and a 2nd LED (This one is an I/R LED. The indicator is where I can see it, the I/R is inside the case.. It shines on an opto-transistor (Also I/R, same wavelength) which is hooked to one side of a switch, and to ground, the other side of the switch is the PTT.

If you E_mail me I can draw it out and send it but hopefully you can do it from here

I've got perhaps 10 bucks in this box using some scrap part and not counting the RS-232 converters

HRD and some other programs can also use a Parallel port keying for PTT.. Just a matter of different plug mostly.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
Andy N1ORK

John,
Thanks for the info. I think I can visualize the schematic from your description.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm