Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
One Country Boy

Now that sounds like a great thing to do on a Saturday Greg. I have a lot of friends that bike. Most of them retired cops. It got to where when I rode in anything other than a car, truck or golfcart I broke something so I gave up ideas of 2-wheeling ever again. Going to be a beautiful day here today with temp possibly up to about 70.

Be safe Greg and enjoy your ride.

de W4EWA - K

Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Well it's my turn Dan... A little after 2 AM local time (Central) and I'm up. Couldn't sleep. The old back gives me some trouble and when it starts, I might as well get up.
I have, in my stick built, a select comfort and in my MH I have a 4 inch memory foam topper both allow me to sleep rather good with my bad back. My back is why I have been retired since 2003 at the age of 51. But the pain pills and two different types of muscle relaxers seem to help as well.

I always say that when we are 18 we are stupid. I originally hurt my back in Vietnam heavy lifting incorrectly. I never went on sick call and therefore never got my injury entered into my records. Or I would be drawing VA for my back as well as my diabetes. It caused me to retire only 2/3 of the way to a full retirement.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
KC1BUD

Jim your a show off, If I were to take photos here all you would see is white and broken branches.

Although it is a blistering 55.4 today with a 12 mile wind.
Love to
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
One Country Boy

I thought the pics might warm some of you up abit Dan. It got up to 77 here today. First nice day we've had in awhile. It won't be long now Dan, Spring is on the way.

Jim

One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #25
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

If you are 70 miles north of Detroit (You know, my favorite camp spot is 70 miles from my house.. I'm in Detroit and it's mostly north)

If you are 70 miles north of Detroit,, Try 3935 KHZ at 4pm eastern.. I may take Sunday off, but most of the rest of the week I'm there.

JOKE FOLLOWS:

Oh, and you know why it's so cold out don't you? It is all the president's fault

Think back oh, about 40 years, Right bout the time NIXON was taking office

If you'd have asked someone back then when a "person of color" would take that oath of office they would have told you when all H-E-Double Hockey Sticks freezes over........

And if it's cold enough to freeze down there it's for sure we are not going to be warm up here!!!

Copyright me WA8YXM 2009,
Permission to re-post this portion is given provided you are VERY CLEAR that it's a joke and you include this line
Copyright me WA8YXM 2009
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
One Country Boy

CQ CQ de W4EWA

Hey guys... Beautiful weather here in NW Florida. Temp is 76.4 degrees, bright sunshine and a light breeze from the south. Just a very nice day. If you don't like it, stick around, it will change.

I should be out working in the 5'er. I need to route the satellite input where it can be seen in the bedroom as well. It ONLY shows satellite in the living area right now. It's a mess. I've got to determine how it's wired.

Anyone else to check in to the ORR Forum Net ?

CQ CQ de W4EWA, Jim in Wewa, FL

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Beautiful sunny day here also Jim. High of 41 today and may get to the low 50s by Sunday. Hopefully the cold spell is over and temperatures will get back to seasonal (mid-30s to low 40s).
Can't get to the NH camp until mud season is over in the Spring (usually by the end of April) to set up the portable QTH and antennas. Need to install flooring in the sunroom, run 115AC and antenna cables to operating desk.
Never even got on the air today, between running errands and studying for the Extra exam, I've just now been able to sit down and reply here. I'm scheduled to take the test Wednesday after our local repeater club meeting. I've been hitting in the 90's on the QRZ practice tests, so I think I'm ready.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #28
One Country Boy

Here goes. I've probably seen the last of Andy.. He gets that Extra Class Ticket, he'll probably not have time for a lower classman. Good luck with it Andy. If you're scoring that high, you're home free I'm told.

Did you get finished with the kitchen renovation or project you were doing there at home ?

It got up to 74 here today. Very nice. Mark, down in Miami probably has sweltering heat.

de Jim W4EWA in Wewa, FL ~K~

Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #29
Andy N1ORK

I'll always have time here for you guys, I just wish we could connect on the air. Now that the snow is off the roof (literally), maybe I'll be able to. It's 28F now and forcasted to go into the high 30s. It's supposed to get into the low 50s with rain next week, so most ofthe snow on the ground should be gone by then.
The counters, sinks and faucets are done, the tile guy can't come till next week, so we're waiting on that right now. Then we'll be done.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #30
One Country Boy

Default Florida Black Bear

Hit by a car about 7 miles from my QTH. A Florida Black Bear, weighing in a 475 lbs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001a.jpg (372.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #31
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

As long as it was not YOUR car that hit it....

I recall a classmate back in my college days (Physics) he had purchased a cute little car (I think a Sunbeam if I recall..it's a very old memory) at a literal fire sale and was about 95% done restoring it to showroom.. Basically he had one more coat of finish to apply.....

Came in to class saying "It should be open season on Deer 365 days a year no permits needed, no bag limits"

(For those who do not know what "Literal fire sale" means.. It means he had to replace everything in the car that could burn.. Re-paint everything and deodorize

As you can guess... He was starting over on the front end of his cute little car
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #32
One Country Boy

Glad to hear you are coming along with your projects there Andy. Also happy to hear you have no plans of shunning we lower classmen on the receipt of your EXTRA. Seriously, again, good luck with it. I'm sure you will succeed.

John, there is a lot of deer hunting in the area that I live. I've done a little hunting for deer but it was a long time ago. My father and I hunted quail when I was growing up. I've killed only one deer, it was an 8 point. You guessed it, with a car. My game warden friend that e-mailed me those bear photos said there was very little damage done to the assailant vehicle (that's cop talk, right ?). The animal was hit only in the head with the vehicle bumper. If the driver had been driving one of those little Sunbeams you were talking about when he hit that bear, the drivers seat probably needed cleaning. We have many deer in our neighborhood. They are in our yard in the night. We have even seen them walk through the back yard during the day. My wife went out one day last week to find a large gray fox in our back yard. We see red fox here normally but the others are a rare sighting.

The bear was not a record for this state. My friend tells me the record weight for Florida is about 600 lbs. We don't normally see them this big though. The bear is being mounted for an exhibit. He was so big the normal mount the taxidermist used would not work. He had to order a grizzly mount.

We get all types of subjects going on ORR. What next ?

CQ CQ de W4EWA in Wewa

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
One Country Boy

I really don't mean to hijack the forum, but have a ham radio related question. What is the best freq(s) to listen to on 6 meter ssb for dx or just to make a contact ? I'm not very familiar with six. I've found some charts on the internet but may have changed.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
Andy N1ORK

Jim,
50.125 is the SSB calling frequency. For 2m it's 144.200.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #35
One Country Boy

Thanks Andy...

Jim

Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
KC1BUD

Today the high is supposed to be near 60. It is 56 right now. We are supposed to get rain as well. By next week we could be right back in the deep freeze.
Love to
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
w3zi

We finally had a break from the "cold" so to speak here in Miami its 75 today and will be 81 tomorrow. What did that dumb ground hog say -- 6 more weeks of winter?
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #38
Andy N1ORK

Well, it's supposed to get up to 55 today. So looking forward to it! It's funny, what seems to be cold for some folks is warm for others. I'd 'of been swimming at 75.
On another note, anyone use EchoLink? I thought it could be a way to 'chat' while trying to make contact on 40m or 20m. We can put our calls into the 'favorites' bucket for future reference.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #39
AE5BI

I don't think the goundhog (Phil) said anything...

Andy, did you test yet? How'd you do?

I am listening to 50.125 and it is very quiet, S0, usually a bad sign for me.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
Andy N1ORK

I'll be testing tonight after our club meeting. I figure about 2030 EST. So if I don't log in tomorrow, you'll now what happened. I figure if I bring $150, I can take 10 tests and maybe get one ok.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm